Colorado

Boston Marathon explosion, latest report we saw was 2 dead 23 injured :(

Chick with splayed leg - I had one like that hatch a week and a half ago, splinted his little legs for over a week and just removed yesterday (tried removing after 4 days and he wasn't ready). He was getting around - not perfect, but getting around, lifting his little feet high off the ground like a hackney pony, probably because they had been taped together for so long. This morning's pre-work check he seemed to be dong okay. Hopefully he still will be this afternoon when I get home. I always start with paper towel for traction the first few days, then to shavings. Incubator lined with rubberized shelf liner for hatching. He just hatched that way and no amount of traction assistance helped. I thought he was going to die when I saw him lying there helplessly on his side, left him in the incubator 2.5 days, he perked up a bit each day, I splinted him and put him in the brooder and hoped really really hard. He has quite a little spirit, and as long as he continues to improve, eats, drinks, and grows, I'll just keep watching him. He has not lagged behind in growth rate so far, so he has a decent chance. Time will tell.

Pullet with sore wing - unless you can locate a break and can set it properly, which is hard even with x-ray machines, your best bet is to keep her fairly quiet for a few days and let it heal. It may heal crooked, I had a cockatiel do something similar decades ago and the wing did not heal straight but he could still get around quite well. As long as her appetite remains healthy and she doesn't re-injure it trying to keep up with her flockmates she will probably be okay. I'd probably confine her and keep her in a protected area if at all possible, like in a dog crate in the laundry room or something.

I I just set 21 eggs, 18 of my own which I am 95% sure are fertile and 3 from the neighbors, whose incubator I borrowed and wants to know if his rooster is doing his job correctly. It is a farm inovations still air incubator. I sure wish it had a fan in it. I guess I will find out if I have it in me to hatch out some eggs. All of the hatchlings will be donated for prizes for CHICKEN FEST on the 17th of may. I had it set exactly at 99.5 last night and this morning it was at 97.9. It looks like the ambient temp of my house affects the swings pretty well. It was at 100 when I got home this afternoon. humidity was at 44%. I hope at least some hatch.

Back
Top Bottom