Colorado

LOL Thinking that hopping the fence in the dark of night and hanging them in the neighbors tree may be fun. That they smell bad was something I did read in the reviews and may be why I pass them up.

I havent posted in a while so i though i would post on last nights experience.
It started yesterday when i came home to a dead meat bird. No big surprise there asbit has been very hot the past few days. They are scheduled for processing Sunday, any volunteers?
I put it in a bag and placed it in the trash can so i could take it to work today and dispose of it there so it wouldnt stink up my place for a week. I did the normal chores around the house and took care of the rest of the animals. When i finally laid down around 1:00 am i hard a couote howl. It was close. Very close. I put my clothes back on and grabbed the shot gun. The night was quite bright last night and i could see quite well. I walked my parimeter and found a coyote on full retread as i brought up the shotgun up and took aim. I heard the couote yelp and then it disapeared into the woods. I though i had taken care of him/them ,so i went back to bed.
This morning my daughter found only the feet of the meat bird right outside my bathroom window and this evening i found where they had tried to get into my coop. I sure an glad that i have wood most of the way around the bottom 4 feet of my coop. You can see the claw marks of the coyotes as they tried to get in above the wood and claw marks through the tarp that i have for shade on the west side. Anyway. Thats my story. I am now off to make some snares so i can start catching and taking care of these pests.
Disclaimer. No live animals were harmed in any way last night. Tonight may be a different story. War has been declared.

Update update squared- the co- owner of Red Hen Farm from Boulder - Logan - has agreed to meet me at my hoa meeting this coming next Thursday. Thank you- Logan and Ailsa.
1f64f-1f3fc.png

As of today I have 50 signatures of chicken approvers/ chicken wanters/ bee box wanters/ and one bat box wanter! Holy smokes. Super excited. One wants a clothesline, but the hoa denied a very nice kind elderly man his only wish to make his now deceased wife happy with a clothesline. Bees, bats, chickens, and clotheslines.
1f648.png
1f648.png
1f648.png
1f648.png
1f648.png
1f648.png
Here we come!

I still have a few streets to go down that neighbors have told me contain many chicken wanting people!

It was 100F and I walked w my baby in the Ergo for about 4ish hours. Yes, I had water and my clipboard. I find that a clipboard comes across very scary as some nice mary jane partakers thought I was the Census bureau or something and later apologized for being rude at first when they waved me off. Lol
1f602.png
What an adventure. The only person who said, "No" to me grew up on a farm and hated collecting eggs because he said he got pecked and told me he didn't move "here" to live on a farm. I laugh. We are in an R-1 -the lowest population density district in the county. There are two goat farms within a small radius as well as an alpaca farm!
1f414.png
1f425.png
1f606.png
1f423.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
He told me chickens are disgusting filthy animals that are mean, smell awful, peck you, are horrible to clean up after. I feel like we could all pitch in for some good old ptsd therapy for his deep rooted damaging childhood chicken experience. Poor guy.
1f64f-1f3fc.png
1f497.png
I will pray for him. Jesus- go calm him down and give that man some peace. Let his bad memories of chickens go. Amen.

A very good evening to you all.
1f4a4.png
1f634.png

Generally speaking, crows are good to have around as they do NOT like hawks (or owls) and will chase same away.
The only birds I have are crows and magpies and owls. They don't seem to bother each other, only songbirds
hmm.png

Edited to say, we have lots of hawks too, lots of hawks. They are like sparrows here, they are everywhere.

Last edited:
Lately my whole yard has been overrun with house flies. They swarm the chicken poop in my yard and the run and I swear they're multiplying by the hour. Does anyone have any tricks for getting rid of them???
I have been buying fly predators from Spalding Labs for 4 summers now and we have almost no flies at all. https://www.spalding-labs.com/
We use the fly predators at the Farm I work at too. I am a huge fan!

The only birds I have are crows and magpies and owls. They don't seem to bother each other, only songbirds
hmm.png

Edited to say, we have lots of hawks too, lots of hawks. They are like sparrows here, they are everywhere.

I live in northwest Arvada and we have the crows and I've heard, but not seen owls. We definitely have hawks, so my coop and run are totally covered. I ran one off my daughter's coop last fall and it scared me to death! They are fearless and only flew off when I screamed and made noise.

Update update squared- the co- owner of Red Hen Farm from Boulder - Logan - has agreed to meet me at my hoa meeting this coming next Thursday. Thank you- Logan and Ailsa.
1f64f-1f3fc.png

As of today I have 50 signatures of chicken approvers/ chicken wanters/ bee box wanters/ and one bat box wanter! Holy smokes. Super excited. One wants a clothesline, but the hoa denied a very nice kind elderly man his only wish to make his now deceased wife happy with a clothesline. Bees, bats, chickens, and clotheslines.
1f648.png
1f648.png
1f648.png
1f648.png
1f648.png
1f648.png
Here we come!

I still have a few streets to go down that neighbors have told me contain many chicken wanting people!

It was 100F and I walked w my baby in the Ergo for about 4ish hours. Yes, I had water and my clipboard. I find that a clipboard comes across very scary as some nice mary jane partakers thought I was the Census bureau or something and later apologized for being rude at first when they waved me off. Lol
1f602.png
What an adventure. The only person who said, "No" to me grew up on a farm and hated collecting eggs because he said he got pecked and told me he didn't move "here" to live on a farm. I laugh. We are in an R-1 -the lowest population density district in the county. There are two goat farms within a small radius as well as an alpaca farm!
1f414.png
1f425.png
1f606.png
1f423.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
He told me chickens are disgusting filthy animals that are mean, smell awful, peck you, are horrible to clean up after. I feel like we could all pitch in for some good old ptsd therapy for his deep rooted damaging childhood chicken experience. Poor guy.
1f64f-1f3fc.png
1f497.png
I will pray for him. Jesus- go calm him down and give that man some peace. Let his bad memories of chickens go. Amen.

A very good evening to you all.
1f4a4.png
1f634.png

Awesome job...I am impressed

For all those that free range, does anyone have a snake problem? We get rattlers and red racers ocassionally. Should I be worried?

I'm also curious how those of you that free range keep your chickens in your area? I'm on 5 acres, but with three neighbors surrounding us on all sides - one has 7 horses and 3 dogs. We are working on a fenced 12x24 run attached to the coop and planning to add another chicken-wired extension to give them a sort of partial free-range area, but I'm wondering about letting them out to roam? How does that work? Don't they wonder off? How do you get them back in if you need to, etc? I'm clueless on this one...

I am new to chickens also, living on 5 acres with no fencing. We built our coop on the end of an existing dog run, but most of the day they free range. I too was worried about them going too far, or not being able to get them to go back in the coop at night. They have been outside for almost a month, and we have been surprised how close they stay to the house. From early on I taught them if they come when I call them they will get treats, and now they come every time they hear me outside. I have had a few moments of panic when I think they are missing, but they are always nearby under a tree or our deck in the shade.

Last edited:
I'm in a pickle with 2 roosters in the city (centennial). Free to a good home as pets.

Bantam Cochin Frizzle - 5 months

Easter Egger - 4 months

Please let me know if anyone can help I'm running out of time.

Back
Top Bottom