Sponsored Post Congratulations MamaNini! You won a beautiful coop from Handcrafted Coops!

More practical advice...if you live in a cold area or just don't want to have to go out to open the coop door immediately in the morning, install a vertical sliding coop door with an eye-screw in the top and set a pulley in a tree or homemade frame above the door. Tie the rope to the eye, run it through the pulley, and then to your back door (or window...any opening will work.) When you need to open the coop you simply crack the door or window and pull the rope, lifting the coop door.

Ok, so I'm only in Virginia, but I'm from Louisiana, so I think this is cold. I'm going to see if my husband will try this! Great idea.

The best advice I can give is to be resourceful!

Most backyard chicken keepers are not in it to save money and even if that was why they first started it quickly goes out the window! We all want the best for our chickens but that is no reason not to be resourceful. Before you go out and buy a brand new coop, waterer, building materials etcetera, take a look around and see what you have already that you can use.

I made a chicken coop for my dad using glass doors that I got for free from a neighbor and scrap wood I found in the dumpster! You can make waterers/feeders from buckets or milk jugs, you can often make coops or nesting boxes from unusual materials. I have seen someone turn a broken clothes dryer into a coop! Get creative, get resourceful and get on craigslist.

My girlfriend says I like to ‘McGyver’ things but the truth is, I believe in working with what you have. It not only saves money, but it saves resources and prevents waste. Why send something to the landfill when you can turn it into a nesting box?
Yes, exactly right! Use if up, wear it out, make it do, do without still applies today. And I would LOVE a picture of that clothes dryer coop!

Research...
... any and all laws that affect chicken ownership, sex and number of chickens allowed and size of coop or enclosure needed for the maximum allowed.
Having to re-home your chickens after you've become attached is painful and
difficult for both human and chicken alike.
... types of chickens that do well in your climate, will provide the eggs/meat/dual purpose/show experience you desire and fits your life style and personality .
There is a size and type of chicken for every size and type of back yard.
... what nutritional needs your chickens will need throughout their lives and and how you can best provide for them.
Know where you can purchase feed, feeders, waterers, medications and whatever
else you decide is appropriate or needed for your flock.
... any and all predators, varmints, pests, and local fauna and flora, and any weather conditions that will determine how you need to house your flock.
Remember just because you've never seen a raccoon/snake/hawk in your
neighborhood doesn't mean they aren't around. Likewise understand and
accept that Mother Nature will occasionally gift you drought, rain, wind, snow, ice,
fire, pestilence, etc....build accordingly!
... other backyard chicken owners in your state, region and geographical area and start a conversation with them either over the phone or on-line.
Learn from those that have already experienced owning backyard chickens, They are
your best resource and very willing to help.

I have found that 90% of all the research information I needed was available on-line through the Backyard Chicken Forum...as the remaining 10% was found in books I purchased due to BYC members' recommendations maybe I should up that to 100%?
Thorough research will lead to a longer lasting, safer, healthier and more joy filled experience for you and your flock...it certainly worked for me!

Best advice.....HHHHMMMMMMM........Get a breed that'll suit you. Find a LOCAL Farm and talk with them. Local is the best way to go,a nice Barnyard mix and you'll still get fresh eggs and have a few hens to clean up bugs.
Hopefully this helps!

I'm currently brooding my first batch of chickens. That being said so you'll know I don't have years of experience keeping chickens. But here's a few things for new chicken owners to consider.

#1: My advice is to really do your research! Read up on everything! That way you won't be freaking out when you find your chicks have poopy butt or some other problem. You'll know exactly what you're dealing with and already know how to go about fixing the problem.

#2: Get your brooder set up in advance. At least a few days before your chicks are due to arrive. I had everything ready two days before my chicks were suppose to come and they arrived a day early. It really helped me to have everything set up and ready to go when I got the call from the post office.

#3: Do not freak out in the line at the post office even though there are millions of people in front of you and the line is going super SLOW. Squash the urge to yell at the top of your lungs "Get out of my way! I have little chicks waiting for me!". I didn't do that, but I sure wanted to. My sister came with me and she told me my eyes were bugged out with the stress. lol

#4: Wait until March or April to order your chicks. Trust me, getting them a whole month or two earlier is not worth it. There's the chance that all the chicks will arrive dead from getting too cold on the trip. And you will stress out way too much over their safety while you're waiting for them to arrive!

And last but not least!
#5: Have your chicken run and coop built before you buy your chicks. Thinking you'll get it done in the 5-8 weeks that you have the chicks in the brooder is really dumb. I mean that in the kindest way possible. Take it from somebody who is currently racing through trying to get the run and coop built. I only have 5 weeks left to get it done. Ack! lol

I hope some of this helps the other newbies out there that are considering getting chickens!

I have only been raising chickens for about a year and a half now. Over that time I have read several books countless threads here in this forum and never replied to any before. But this one seemed appropriate and dear to me to reply to. As a general animal lover I get too attached to all my animals. I am especially surprised at how attached I get to my chickens. With this in mind, here is my best advice:

Pet them, love them and spoil them in a good and healthy way. In return they will not only give you eggs, but they will give you unlimited entertainment. But most importantly don't forget to take a few photos, because despite your best efforts and most vigilant watches, if you live in an area with abundant predators you will inevitably loose one or two. With each one's passing it seems to affect everyone in the flock if only in the smallest of ways. Appreciate them everyday they are with you because each is unique in it's own right.

We miss you Big Red, Jr. and Weenie!

The best advice I know is to ask questions. Of your Veterinarian, of your local feed store, of people showing at the fair, of local chicken keepers, of neighbors who have chickens and of course here on the forum. Asking for ideas or info for now or in the future is really a great way to learn. Also by asking a variety of people/places you get a broader base of knowledge. Some may know more about one aspect such as showing, building housing, feeding, or health so having a bunch of people to talk to you get more info and can sift through the tidbits and get the golden eggs of bird keeping of knowledge.

When I first was thinking about getting chickens my cousin informed me that you have to call your local government building or county building to find out how many chickens you could have, because if you live in the city or within city limits they will limit the amount you can have. I built my own chicken coop, with the help of my dad and uncle, and I called to make sure what the size can be without needing a permit, which I think was 100 square feet for where I live.

One of the most important things you need to do before you get your chickens is to decide what you want them for eggs, meat, or both. I did my research but still failed by going to tractor supply and choosing them by looks. I picked out the ones I wanted and my dad chose these three chickens, who ended up being boilers, I wanted my chickens for eggs only so the three boilers got spoiled until they all pasted away by six months old.

Ordering chicks or hatching themselves is purely your choice. I enjoyed raising the chickens I bought from tractor supply, but when they become breeding age it was enjoyable hatching the eggs myself and seeing what I could get. I didn’t have much success with my homemade incubator; I may have got more success with a store bought one.

When I first got my chickens as chicks they grew up inside for the first month or so and they got along great with my cats and dogs, but it all depends on how the chickens are raised and who they get along with. I would also highly recommend that you try and spend lots of time with them, so that if you have a rooster he will know who you are and who is boss and also so the hens will easily let you carry them and collect eggs when needed.

I am not seasoned to chicken raising I learn nore every day, I am trying something new. I have an old concrete slab out back where someone at one time had a mobile home. It was the porch. It's 8ft wide and 20ft long. About 16 to 29inches off the ground. Now in this process, unless allow the chickens out of there pens there is no grass for them to scavenge, and they must depend upon feed soaly. I have taken this raised concrete slab and built several pens on top. With a water spicket near by, I have built the pens so that there is a 2inch gap between the out side bottom on the pen and the concrete pad. This allows me to approach one side the pens with a water hose and spray the fesses right out the back, where I can collect it for gardening.

Back
Top Bottom