Sponsored Post Congratulations MamaNini! You won a beautiful coop from Handcrafted Coops!

I am getting back into chickens after a three year hiatus. I have built two runs and two coops in the past, now I'm starting over again. The best advice I could possibly give: Whatever size you think is large enough, double it. Don't skimp on their run or coop. Don't go with the minimum required space or slightly over minimum, even if you intend to let them out whenever possible. Things happen and you don't get around to letting them out. Happy birds need lots of space everyday to scratch and lay. This time around I'm looking at doing multiple smaller coops that way they will be easier to move around, nothing worse than realizing you need to move a coop that weighs more than a small car. Good luck!

My best advice for raising chickens...
If your buying ready to lay chickens,give them a week or so to settle in before you try to handle them. Talk to them give them treats.

My chickens listen better than my dog, I yell " where my girls at, come on girls" and they all come running, it's not great training, it's called mealworms. The best treat ever!

I live in NJ, where winters are dark and cold, biggest piece of advice is to give them light for at least 12 or more in the winter.

I love to let them free range,it makes them happy and it's good for them. I try to do it towards the end of the day a couple hours before dark, otherwise eggs will be layed elsewhere,and they wander too far.

Lastly, get a good feed. I buy from local Brodheckers Farm who puts everything they need in the feed. They were also a huge help in giving advise for raising chickens, like don't feed chicken a lot of scraps, it's a waste of energy burning food they don't need!!!

My best advice for raising chickens...
If your buying ready to lay chickens,give them a week or so to settle in before you try to handle them. Talk to them give them treats.

My chickens listen better than my dog, I yell " where my girls at, come on girls" and they all come running, it's not great training, it's called mealworms. The best treat ever!

I live in NJ, where winters are dark and cold, biggest piece of advice is to give them light for at least 12 or more in the winter.

I love to let them free range,it makes them happy and it's good for them. I try to do it towards the end of the day a couple hours before dark, otherwise eggs will be layed elsewhere,and they wander too far.

Lastly, get a good feed. I buy from local Brodheckers Farm who puts everything they need in the feed. They were also a huge help in giving advise for raising chickens, like don't feed chicken a lot of scraps, it's a waste of energy burning food they don't need!!!

Advice for People New to Chickens:
I've raised chickens for 30 plus years now (along with seven children). Here's a few pointers:
1. Pick a variety that someone near you is raising. Sometimes it's more important to have a chicken buddy than a particular type of chicken. Don't buy vaccinated chicks. Buy either from a reputable hatchery, or a reputable person. Beware of auctions at this stage. Start small. You'll find what you like after a few years. I've raised several heritage varieties and a lot of dual purpose chickens. I have a fondness for the Plymouth Rock varieties and keep them as layers, knowing that the extra roosters will also make worthwhile meals. On the other hand, I raise Salmon Favarolles strictly because they are a sweet breed and good winter layers...I know the roosters aren't very useful. I raise tried and true breeds of chickens for eggs, and specials types of chickens just as experiments. It's all fun!
2. Sooner or later you will have to face the economics of poultry keeping. If you are keeping them as pets, it may not matter, but if you are trying to produce eggs for your family, buy pullets. Don't buy straight run unless you are going to use the roosters for meat. (When you see straight run chick prices, mentally double that price, and ask yourself if each pullet is worth that amount.) If you hatch your own, and you buy eggs, remember only part of the eggs will hatch, and then half of those will be roosters, so don't pay too much for eggs unless you are going for a rare, expensive type of chicken.
Good luck!

You’ve been wondering about chickens and you would like to know if your city allows them to live in your backyard legally. If you can’t find the answer on the net try sending the mayor a letter. Ask him if you are allowed to keep chickens legally. And if he says yes then here’s the next step. There are hundreds of breeds, but what is right for you? Take a look at the climate you live in. Some chickens are best suited for the cold, and vice versa. Next do you want the dual purpose birds or would you prefer an egg-layer? After you’ve picked your choice, let’s move on to whether you want to hatch them or just order day old chicks. Hatching them is a great experience for a child if you have one. You can throw in the cycle of life while you’re at it. But ordering day olds is much more exciting when you get the call from the PO. Chickens can get along with other animals however it’s best to look out for them just in case you other pets want to rough them up. How can you ensure the best quality eggs? TLC, if you don’t love them and won’t agree to take good care of them they won’t be able to lay the best eggs. A healthy egg comes from a healthy chicken. Let’s say you got your chicks today, and you want them to be gentle. I suggest you handle them everyday.

How can I ensure the best quality eggs?

To have quality eggs, you must provide proper and adequate nutrition for your hens at all times. What goes in to your hen makes all the difference in what comes out of your hen. To consistently have quality eggs your hens need protein in their diet. You can ensure that by providing a feed with 16% to 18% protein content, Allowing your hens outdoors gives them access to sunlight, bugs, grass and seeds. You can feed them your kitchen scraps but be careful giving them onions or other strong flavored foods because the strong flavoring can carry into the eggs and affect their taste. The final two most important ingredients in a proper diet are calcium and water. Oyster shells are a quick and easy source of calcium and is not an expensive product to purchase. Clean water is the most essiential item that all hens require, Dirty water can cause disease and egg production directly suffers when a hen doesn't have adequate water.

My best advise for raising chickens.....

1. Make sure you hatch your own eggs. That is one of the most rewarding events you can experience with poultry. The antisipation is incrediable waiting the the first pip and ultimatly the hatch. It never gets old trying to figure out how that chick ever fit in that tiny egg.

2. Also, make sure you place a wooden bench near your chicken coop. Plan to spend a hour or so daily sitting on said bench. You know your are doing a good job when all of your flock come to sun themselves next to you and argue about who is going to sit in your lap.

3. Don't forget to never throw away kitchen scraps!!! My chickens love any kind of food they can get their little beaks on. Spaghetti is, and always will be the top rated food on the farm.

4. Make sure your flock has entertainment, such as a bail of straw to tear apart or a nice pile of leaves/grass to disect (if they are coop bound).

Always do your reasearch so you know you are doing the best for you flock. But, also make sure you take the time to just enjoy them. They are quirkey, tempermental, sweet, stingey, jelous, laid back or even high strung, but most of all they WILL steal a piece of your heart!!

Many beginners first question is what breed do I want. So thats just it, what breed do you want. Start by sitting down by yourself or your family with a pen and paper. Everything you would like your birds to have write down. Then after you get everything you want them to have for qaulities research what breeds have those qualities. For example, if you want a breed that is good for both meat and eggs, doesn't eat a whole lot, and has a friendly hen personality with a rooster that is protective go for the Rhode Island Reds. Or if you want pets, fairly large birds,don't care about the food bill, and lays 3- 4 eggs a week, you can go Cochin. Or if you want all those and don't care about egg size, get bantams, or miniature chickens. After you get your personalities and breed, star finding a nice level spot for a coop.after you find a level spot check your budget to see how much money you can put in to the coop. $200 seems like it will get you for with a nice predator free coop that holds a lot of birds, but it doesn't. It will get you maybe a small 3 ft. wide, 4 ft. long, and 4 ft. high good coop. That will hold probly on average 3 large hens, or 5- 6 bantams. If you want a lot but don't have much money then pick up different materials along the road. Also, having an outside run gives more room to the birds and relieves some stress. bantams need 2 square feet a piece for room with a run and large fowl need around 3-4 square feet a piece. then after the coop has all it's plans, start to build it. after it's complete and you have waterer's and feeder's and possibly a heat lamp if ordering chicks, you then buy he number of birds you have room for of the breed you have concluded to be right for you. I'm currently housing 22 chickens. I've got 7 coops but am using only two. Each coop is 8 ft. by 10 ft with 11 hens in each. my other coops are not quite done yet though. All my birds are bantams except for 7. i prefer Cochins for my favorite breed. They are very friendly and docile. they are a heavier breed so they do eat a little more but they are great for pets and show. The bantams don't eat as much and have the same temperment but the eggs aren't as big. That's my recommendation but you should really try to follow these steps and get the breed that's right for you. Last of all though, once your birds start laying hatch your own eggs, or let a broody hen hatch them. Either way, it's a lot more fun. if you let a hen hatch them you can watch them get taught to dustbathe, or if the hen is gentle, she will learn them to be human friendly and take them to you.

Last edited:
best advice I can think of is do unto your birds as you want done unto you.
1. A safe, secure place from predators
2. A clean place to peck, play and perch
3. Plenty of clean , fresh water to drink.
4. shelter from the heat/cold,
5. healthy food
6. during the icy cold weather I string heads of cabbage high enough off the ground that the birds have to jump up and down to keep exercised and warm. It is also entertaining to watch them pop up and down like popcorn popping
7. I always thank them for their eggs. Just a little silly thing i do.

Grandmas gals

• If ever you need to bet on which of you will get to the coop door first, bet on the chicken every time.
  • If you have ever wondered who can run further, faster, the chicken will out run you and then lap you while you lay exhausted on the lawn.
  • The cochin you can't find is probably in the house. Again.

I think that's all the advice I'd have.

Back
Top Bottom