Sponsored Post Congratulations MamaNini! You won a beautiful coop from Handcrafted Coops!

Make a Strong coop, free of drafts. Big enough to hold 3 more birds than you want.
Should have atleast 1 perch, about 2 ft off the ground.
Raised feeder, keeps birds from dirting it.
Water & feeder, refill and clean every 3 to 5 days.
One nest box for every 3 hens.
Secure run big enough for your flock.

Check on your Hens ( + rooster(s) every hour, especially when they are going to roost. I learned from experiance
Pick up your birds regularly.
Get them to know, YOU feed them. They will love you forever.

Have a broom ready when you hear the sqawk, and teach the dogs to be good with the chickens- took one month with my big girls, takes a little more training when I add new girls. Chicks are another thing to train your pets with- In your dogs mind a chick is not the same as your chickens

STOP...Are you sure you want to read this? You do know that if you read this, you just might want to raise some baby chicks like me and my family did..... OKAY...Here it goes......
Chickens are hilarious to watch, they are an all natural bug defense system for your yard. Also they are sweet and rewarding. You and your family will have hours of watching their funny scratching and chasing each other for that prize bug they just found. (Which reminds me of something like a no contact football game.) I can say they are just a blast to have around. When my family started raising chicks I was frightened. I didn't know the first thing about raising a chick to be a good laying hen. My first step was to find a great book, So I did. This book told me exactly what I needed to do. Oh! What a relief that was. Right now I have an extended family of 36 laying hens (with a couple cockerels in the mix.) They are 2 weeks old and as cute as a button! You see, It isn't as hard as I thought it would be.
Now... I know you can do this...... You do have your book? right?

My best advice for raising chickens? Research. Train your dog before that chickens are different from wild pheasants. Train your husband before that chickens are different from wild pheasants. Build bigger than you think you need. Be responsible, loving and caring. Accept that your grass and gardens will never be the same if they free range. Understand you will never again be able to bring yourself to purchase store eggs. Enjoy them, learn their personalities, watch them, relax and enjoy their antics. And most importantly, be aware of chicken math. Know that it WILL happen to you and if you are anything like the rest of us, you won't want to change it for the world.

The best advice is to seek advice whenever you have worries, even if you decide you already know what is best. It's great to just have some reassurance from others' experiences, or resolve stemming from your own. You can get that advice here on BYC, from various other web resources,books, or friends. Just like chickens, we need buddies to bolster us. The other bit of advice is that worrying is natural and means you love and respect your flock; people have been raising and caring for chickens for centuries, so odds are you'll be able to as well. Oh, and fall in love with them. Even if you eat them, you can love and respect the funny little creatures that feed you and entertain you.

My best advice is to start small. That has always been my advice with any type of farming. It is good to have a big plan and vision but put that on the back burner till you are sure you like raising chickens. Believe it or not there are lots of chickens out there for adoption due to over zealousness of folks.

The best advice I can give is to be resourceful!

Most backyard chicken keepers are not in it to save money and even if that was why they first started it quickly goes out the window! We all want the best for our chickens but that is no reason not to be resourceful. Before you go out and buy a brand new coop, waterer, building materials etcetera, take a look around and see what you have already that you can use.

I made a chicken coop for my dad using glass doors that I got for free from a neighbor and scrap wood I found in the dumpster! You can make waterers/feeders from buckets or milk jugs, you can often make coops or nesting boxes from unusual materials. I have seen someone turn a broken clothes dryer into a coop! Get creative, get resourceful and get on craigslist.

My girlfriend says I like to ‘McGyver’ things but the truth is, I believe in working with what you have. It not only saves money, but it saves resources and prevents waste. Why send something to the landfill when you can turn it into a nesting box?

Last edited:
I am new to this, so new I don't even have chickens yet! The best advice I have received is to research and do more research. Be open minded to all options, and ask questions. Look for people or groups in your area, so if you are in need of help you know where you can turn. I am looking forward to this new adventure in life!

Last edited:
Realize from the beginning this is not just a weekend hobby, it is a way of life, These wonderful creatures will be depending on you for everything, food, water, safety. Love them, talk to them, interact with them. Look for signs that there is a problem with one of your birds, and take care of the problem quickly.

Watch your animals and the will provide endless entertainment, new friends, eggs, and if you choose, chicks. Learn something every day, and share it with others.
Smiles and Happy memories, Don't let the chicken math over run your yard!!!

When I was in High school I had 20 RIR chickens that I had raised from eggs. I was still living at my folks' house & the chickens were happy,healthy & in a nice big run that I had built with my pop. We had eggs & the girls were the friendliest birds from years of handling them every day. I loved my chickens. I didn't have a rooster because my turkey did the job & acted as a guard for "his ladies". I'm sure my neighbors appreciated that. Then a pack of neighborhood dogs dug into the yard & over the fence to get to my girls. I had thought I had addressed everything about securing them & keeping them safe & healthy but I didn't. If I could give any advice it would be to make sure that not only are your birds safe & protected from getting out but that they are protected from predators getting in at them. I'm sure there are many people here who have that covered but I would hope everyone does. I had protected them from smaller predators but never thought I needed to protect them from a pack of dogs!

More practical advice...if you live in a cold area or just don't want to have to go out to open the coop door immediately in the morning, install a vertical sliding coop door with an eye-screw in the top and set a pulley in a tree or homemade frame above the door. Tie the rope to the eye, run it through the pulley, and then to your back door (or window...any opening will work.) When you need to open the coop you simply crack the door or window and pull the rope, lifting the coop door.

Back
Top Bottom