Sponsored Post Congratulations MamaNini! You won a beautiful coop from Handcrafted Coops!

Don't name a chicken you plan on eating; Pearl and dumplings isn't as good as chicken and dumplings. Don't trust other pets, dogs and cats, to love your chickens the same way you do; they may like Pearl and dumplings. Offer some eggs to your neighbors and they will be more tolerant of damage to their garden; not completely tolerant, but more. You should offer the eggs prior to the garden damage; think ahead. Remember, well taken care of chickens live a long time. Well past productive years. You will need to have more and more chickens to have adequate eggs or get rid of them when they reach retirement age. Poor Pearl.

In regard to the question: How do I find out if it is legal to raise backyard chickens in my city?
I have done this twice - once for a small town in Mississippi and one for Dallas TX.
In the small town, population around 5000, I called city hall, told them that I needed to know about keeping chickens. They linked me to the person in charge of that problem, and he told me that there was no ordinance for chickens, but to talk with my neighbors and make sure they would not get upset.

Most large cities have a website that cover the ordinances. I first looked on that site. I think you should also call the person/persons in chage of that department,, though, just to be sure - websites are not always kept up to date.

I am hoping to get chickens this spring. I have many friends with them so I am constantly looking for good information. I love this site also!
One thing that most people know but I have ran into a few who have not is that keeping a light in the chicken coop during winter since there is
not a lot of light. It will keep your chickens laying through the winter. Also I have heard that if you have a rooster it is always a good idea to
stick all your eggs in a bowl of water first thing. If any float they have been fertilized or they are not good eating eggs. I am looking forward to reading all
your posts and great advice.
THANKS!

I have found that the way chickens are raised as chicks has alot to do with there health when they are laying hens. Until 7 weeks of age, add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to 1 liter of water to help prevent coccidiosis. Something else is to handle them as much as possible. You should also clean out there brooder twice a week. The last tip is instead of lowering the temperate 5 degrees in one day, raise the heat lamp slowly over the course of a week... (2 degrees every other day)

- How do I choose a breed of chicken to raise?

My opinion on this topic is that a person's choice of chicken breed is dependent on his preferences and needs. For instance, a person who enjoys chickens for entertainment's sake could choose almost any breed and be content with it. Chickens are full of personality, regardless of breed, and if one spends enough time with them, one will see the unique "personality" traits each chicken possesses. Similarly, a person who wishes to raise chickens for a hobby has a broad range of choices, limited only by one's location (urban or rural) and by one's budget.

However, if a person desires to raise chickens for profit via eggs and meat, he should definitely limit his range of choices. For example, Bantams will probably not be profitable for him because of their small yield, and exhibition breeds like Old English or Modern Games will also not be ideal choices. Dual-purpose breeds, on the other hand, will be an excellent choice for this person because of their practicality. After limiting his Dual purpose choices and as he enjoys the yield from his birds, a person would be wise to concentrate on one breed to maintain and preserve according to its long-accepted standards.
big_smile.png

~Gresh~

Step One: Caring for Full Gown Chickens Adult birds are a great place to start your chicken raising journey as they are the least fragile and require the least amount of fuss.
Selection: When it comes to picking a breed, do your research. What traits do you want in a bird? What color eggs do you prefer? Since you're starting with full sized birds it would make sense to buy egg layers and save the meat birds for when you are ready to raise them from chicks! The staff at your local farm supply / feed store will likely have good advice for you when picking a breed! Full sized birds can be found a feed supply stores, small farms, and websites like craigslist.org.
Shelter: Chickens need protection from the elements (including wind), a place up high to roost and a cozy spot to lay their eggs. If they will be free ranging on your property, ensure proper protection from neighbor dogs, large birds, and other local predators.
Nutrition: Ensure adequate access to food and water. Chicken feed can be found at the farm supply / feed store and can be supplemented with Oyster Shells to ensure proper calcium intake and prevent egg breaking. Ask for "laying mesh" in conventional or organic. Diatomaceous earth can also be added to the feed to prevent worm infestation.

Step Two: Raising chicks Once you feel confident you can keep adult birds alive and well, you are then ready to take on the task of raising chicks. You can purchase these online or at your local farm supply / feed store.
Selection: Consider If you are buying chicks online, make sure you are purchasing birds from a similar climate so they will have an easy time surviving in your local temperature fluxuations.
Shelter: Chicks need to be kept warm and safe from predators and larger birds. A heat lamp and soft bedding will provide them with comfort. They need 24/7 access to food and water, so ensure your feeders can handle their growing demand as you birds grow in size and consume more of each.
Nutrition: Chicks require a different feed than laying hens so they can grow quickly, ask your feed supply story for "starter feed". Remember to handle your chicks every day so they will grow up comfortable being handled by you!

Step Three: Incubation When you can successfully raise a chick into healthy adulthood, it is time to take on the incubation challenge.
Selection: When you are first getting started it is okay to use a less expensive incubator. Read the reviews online and choose an incubator that scores well by the customers. Use your own eggs if you have a rooster, or purchase fertilized eggs from a local hatchery you trust.
Incubation:Follow the directions provided with your incubator. Remember humidity and temperature levels have a great impact on the success of your incubation. 99.5 degrees is the ideal temperature for hatching your chicken eggs. If your incubator does not have an automatic rotator, you will need to turn the eggs 2 to 4 times a day. Do not take on this project unless you are prepared to monitor the progress several times a day.

Hello! I personally like the idea of combining a chicken coop with a place where you also grow food. For instance here's an idea I'm sure many have already seen, heard or read about. I'd love to afford to build this!

My best advice, as someone who is new to chickens and just ordered my first little chicks, would be to get a lot of books and read as much information as you can. Try to get your info from trusted sources who know what they are talking about. I have found there are some out there who will say things they heard from an uncredible source and pass it off as fact. So be sure to use trusted sources only. Seek out people in your area who have raised chickens and talk to them, they are a wealth of information! Then go for it! Have a safe place for them to live for when they arrive and be ready to take pictures and learn as you go =) We are very excited to be getting our new chicks in one week and two days!! ~Kristie

My advice is... start small. Get a few chickens at first-- until you are more comfortable with them (be careful...they're addicting). If you want them to be people friendly; give them lots of love and attention and handling as chicks. And, if you can in your area, have a rooster...keeps the hens feeling safe and watched over. Have fun, and enjoy. ps...if you can safely do so, let them free range...they love the freedom.

Choosing Starting Chickens
Chickens are bred for egg-laying, egg-laying & meat, or meat. So, first choose breeds for what’s desired from the chickens. Once that’s determined; then climate, broodiness, laying capacity, egg size & color, social nature, and availability should be considered. Hatcheries offer free catalogs with information on breed characteristics, and it’s worth carefully selecting these characteristics; everyone will be happier with a good breed match.

It’s best to start with eggs, day-old chicks, or pullets (young hens) from a reputable hatchery or breeder. Hatcheries offer eggs and day-old chicks in many breeds, but pullets are usually only available in egg layer breeds. Breeders often offer eggs, day-old chicks, and pullets.

Pullets are easy to start with because they give instant gratification (eggs), and you quickly learn about caring for chickens. Plus, you only have to come up with a way to house, water, and feed your birds.

Day-old chicks take additional equipment (a brooder, heat lamp, and chick waterer & feeder), you have to raise them to maturity, and you don’t get eggs for several months. On the positive side; hand-raised chicks are typically friendlier, breed choices are greater, and baby chicks are adorable.

Eggs are similar to day-old chicks except that an incubator is needed. It’s an option if you’ve got access to an incubator, and it makes a good 4H or school project. Otherwise, it’s probably not the best option for someone just getting started with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom