Considering a Trio of Welsh Harlequins

jconnon

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 20, 2016
Massachusetts
I really only have enough room for few ducks so initially I was considering getting 6 ducks from Metzers but thought if I could get fewer, say 3 it might be a better way for me to start.
I found someone fairly close to me that can sell me Welsh Harlequin ducks so I thought I would get 2 females and 1 male and if I thought a few more ducks would work I could always hatch a few. But at this point I have read so much I am second guessing every choice I am making so what I concerned about now is if I get a trio is the male just going to be to much for two females? Am I better of just getting 3 girls or I could get 5 females and 1 male from Metzers or all females?

How much room are you planning on letting them have? The minimum is three sq feet per duck. It mainly just depends on what you want them for. If you want them for eggs then get three females. If you want them for selling then get atleast one drake for breeding(also if you want them for meat). If you would like pet ducks then it doesn't really matter how many you get but just keep a good duck to drake ratio.

I have a decent fenced in back yard, I would say 125 ft by 50 ft. certainly not huge but big enough for them to have some freedom. My larger concern was is two ducks enough for one drake? Are Welsh harlequins drakes hard on the females? They are going to be pets, I want a few eggs and maybe some ducklings down the road but not at the expense of the females get beat up constantly. Again I have probably just over analyzed myself into a stupor at this point.

Your post made me laugh. I am right there with you...2nd guessing every decision I am making :). I started out just wanting 2 ducks, but now getting 4 June 4th. I wanted WH but was having a heck of a time finding anyone around me that was selling them. Ended up finding someone with Appleyards and Cayuga's. So I ordered 2 of each. Really hoping I get more females then males. IDK what I will do if it is the other way around.

Last edited:
I am a Director of Purchasing at my job so I analyze everything to death. I drive my wife nuts but I finally got her to say "Just get the dang ducks already and please just stop talking about"
lol.png

Last edited:
I have a decent fenced in back yard, I would say 125 ft by 50 ft. certainly not huge but big enough for them to have some freedom. My larger concern was is two ducks enough for one drake? Are Welsh harlequins drakes hard on the females? They are going to be pets, I want a few eggs and maybe some ducklings down the road but not at the expense of the females get beat up constantly. Again I have probably just over analyzed myself into a stupor at this point.
Two ducks for one drake would be perfect (;. I don't really know about Harlequins but I'm guessing they're fine with their ducks.

I did the logical thing, I ordered four. 3 ducks and 1 drake
yesss.gif
It seems logical to me anyway. Now I can over overthink and over analyze the brooder and the coop!

I have one Welsh Harlequin drake with two females and both years I've had them he's bloodied their necks during mating season and I end up having to separate them. I have 5 ducklings now so that I can up the female ratio. I hope that your 3-1 turns out well

I did the logical thing, I ordered four. 3 ducks and 1 drake
yesss.gif
It seems logical to me anyway. Now I can over overthink and over analyze the brooder and the coop!
HA! The coop is kicking my butt I can't stop adding things onto it. I went from a nice small coop great for 4 ducks and I now have a coop big enough for 20 ducks
barnie.gif
(well maybe not 20
smile.png
)

You will have to post pics of what you come up with....staying tuned
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom