Considering Peafoul

Gayle Ambrosini

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2016
NW Indiana
I'm thinking about getting a breeding pair of Peafowl "Peacocks" in Northern Indiana, and could use any helpful feedback!
I probably won't get them until mid summer since I need to ready my barn for them like insulating, building perches, a nesting box and making the attached coop higher.
I also want to install a heating unit since it gets so damned cold up here!! My Husband says a couple heat lamps will do but I'm not sure since I'm a stickler for animal welfare. lol Any thoughts on that? Keep in mind it'll be insulated but I worry about their feet.
There are (2) 10x12 stalls with 9 foot ceilings they'd live in year round, is that enough space?
They'd have access to the coop through a small opening in the stall wall but I don't know if they're smart enough to come in from the cold when they need to, I'm assuming yes.
One last thing, do they need bedding on the floor?
Thanks, Gayle

Go to the top of the 'Peafowl' index page and look for 'Stickies', there are long threads about care and feeding, genetics, and more that will answer most of your questions.

Indian Blues only need a place to get out of the weather, they can withstand the cold well. Heat is a nicety but a draft-free coop will do, look at a heated roost instead of lights as the light will throw off their internal clock and cause molting and egg laying at the wrong time of year.

The coop size is fine but they will also need a run, plan for at least 150 sqft per bird. Remember they multiply... have a plan for dealing with chicks that grow fast.

Bedding on the coop floor is a must, when they get too cold they will go to the floor and if it is not covered they can get frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom