Considering Underground Coop

black_dove2

Songster
Jun 27, 2017
Desert Hot Springs, California
I've bee considering an underground coop for some time. I only have the two hens and the maximum number of fowl allowed for size of property is four. Roosters are not permitted at all in Riverside County, CA. There's differing opinions as to why, but most believe it has more to do with cock fighting than with early morning crowing.

I'm finding such fantastic ideas, designs and articles on BYC and other sites. Problem is these coops are for someone with a large flock.

I did run across this very interesting article on the Masters of Horticulture
http://masterofhort.com/

I've seen many pictures of tunnels for chickens above ground made from different materials. This gardener decided to surround the garden with a chicken moat! I thought this may be something that I could incorporate into my overall design. My hens have plenty of space in their run, but this would give them additional roaming while I could still have a little garden.

I thought I would share this article and if someone has already done so I apologise for the repeat.
http://masterofhort.com/2012/07/gardening-with-chickens/

If I happen to run into any other ideas for my chicken coop I'll just add them here. I'm looking for small, really small. Just two Chickens and an Egg

Have you looked at the coop articles? There is a section for small coops which might fill your needs. Or maybe a tractor coop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/coops.12/

Yes they build them in the ground with only a small portion above ground for light ,doors , etc.

I've seen houses that were built entirely underground so why not a chicken coop?

I got the idea from a Persian friend who explained how and why they did it. Much better in areas like here in desert . Gives a place for them to be cool during hottest part of day..

If you could keep out water. have great ventilation. then I don't see why that couldn't be done. It is outside the box. Good things come from outside the box. as far as too dark????? that is what lights are for. It just wouldn't be the cheapest way to to house chickens. but it would be cool.

Scott

If you could keep out water. have great ventilation. then I don't see why that couldn't be done. It is outside the box. Good things come from outside the box. as far as too dark????? that is what lights are for. It just wouldn't be the cheapest way to to house chickens. but it would be cool.

Scott

True about lightning. I kinda thought about that in passing then discarded (probably a mistake,) lol

I was kind of looking at thinking about how a tornado shelter door or where coal would be dumped in for opening. If I could place a sunroof over the top that might allow for light. Especially during the worst days in winter which are very few here.

Thanks for reminding me not to forget lighting!

Any and all ideas are welcome especially since I'm still in the very early design phase.

Oh and solar lighting is always a very good choice here since we have so much sun too many hours a day. Initial cost of a good solar light wouldn't be cheap but would allow for me to switch on and off. Run the solar panel outside the coop.

I think ventilation will be the hardest to adapt. In traditional coops we use low and high vents for different weather. The nice thing is if its deep enough. It will stay pretty solid temps year round.
I don't think it would be that hard. Everything except Ventilation. But heck if moneys not a concern there are ways to vent areas like that.

Scott

Have you looked at the coop articles? There is a section for small coops which might fill your needs. Or maybe a tractor coop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/coops.12/

Yes thank you! I've been reading and looking into those, but I would still have this problem with the extreme heat in summer here in the desert. Winter nights are really cold. It will be warm enough during the day but temps drop at night.

Maybe I could take design of smaller coops and configure it to fully or partially underground!

Thank you again for the tip. Anything else you come up with will help me design right without having to try to fix a mess.

Back
Top Bottom