Consolidated Kansas

tazcat70 - This is from the ordinance that took effect July 1, 2009 (p.52):

SECTION 18. Section 6.04.157 of the Code of the City of Wichita is created to read as follows:
“Maximum number of dogs and cats and maintaining livestock. (a) No person shall keep, own, harbor or maintain upon any premises or property, or in any dwelling of any type within the city:
1. livestock;
2. more than two dogs;
3. more than two cats;
4. more than two rabbits;
5. more than three fowl; or
6. more than three pigeons;
unless such person has a current Animal Maintenance Permit or variance issued by the Health Officer authorizing the maintenance of such animals.

Here's the link:
http://www.wichita.gov/NR/rdonlyres...7F/0/0308604Clean031209FinalSecondReading.pdf

Pretty funny that it's not quite the same -- the city needs to synchronize its information!
hu.gif

There's a table on pages 53-54 of the ordinance (which wouldn't copy & paste properly here) that lists the permit fees, and I'm so glad you caused me to look at this again, because it's only $25 for chickens, not $100!!
ya.gif
It's $100 for goats, which bums me out, because that would be my next year's project if the chickens work out -- but you have to have a full acre for one goat or one goat, one cow, or one horse. I can see that for a cow or horse, but goats are smaller than a lot of dogs! (and we only have about 1/3 acre). Ah, well....

Katy, it was my understanding they ARE "grandfathering." I was watching the progress of the ordinance because we had FIVE cats at the time (now down to 3), which was technically illegal even under the old ordinance, which allowed 4 cats. It's my impression, too, that they really only enforce these if they receive complaints. I can't imagine why anyone would care if I have 2 or 4 indoor cats.

To my fellow Wichita-area peeps: If you buy chicks locally, where do you get them from? Also your chicken feed? I've bought dog & cat food at Gilpin feed on E. Kellogg. I noticed there's a Tractor Supply Co. out that way, too, and it seems like there's another farm & garden store that puts sale circulars in the newspaper, but I can't think what it's called. Would a place like that sell baby chicks?

Back
Top Bottom