Consolidated Kansas

I was just thinking, if you are buying chick starter, be sure that you check the date of manufacture. I seen some feed that was almost 7 months out from manufacture. If it is a medicated feed, any meds that were in the feed would be gone. Yes, I DO feed a medicated starter, I think the chicks do better, course, may chicks are bred for show, but I do hatch and sell mixed babies for layers, and they get the same feed.
I don't think I've ever paid attention to the 'use by' dates. The feed moves so quickly in our store, but that is a great idea.

I got them through the Kansas Forestry Service. They sell bundles, of 20 or 25 different trees for about a dollar a tree. They have a variety of evergreens, and others - I got some lilacs and some mulberries as well, and my pecans. Just do a search on Kansas Forestry Service and look for their trees for sale pages. Most of mine were healthy and have made it, though my pecans have struggled. Another time I'd get potted ones - which are for sale I believe in the autumn. Sara
I didn't know you could buy them from there! I hope Oklahoma has something like that too!

Hawkeye, guess who is broody? Yup, Miss Silkie with all the personality. Its a little ironic because that is of course the reason I wanted her in the first place but I've so enjoyed my little buddy who follows me everywhere talking to me that I'm going to miss her for the next few weeks. Right now she is sharing a nest with Miss Broody Duck (yes, I know, I should take pics because how often do you see a duck and a silkie brooding together?) but tonight I'm going to move her to one of my little broody coops and put some of the OE eggs under her that are in my incubator. They're already on day 5 so she gets a head start.

Also, the hen we did the bumblefoot surgery on, on Friday, was in the nest box today! I fully expected after that "trauma" that she would stop laying for awhile but it seems nothing is going to slow her down. I would say she is limping a little less than she was, but she still has the bandage on with cotton ball and there is still a little limp to her gait due to the big lump of cotton on the underside of her foot. Thank you again so much for your help with her!
Awww, well there goes your broody for a while. But she is such a sweetie and gets around SO WELL! I'm so impressed with how well she is getting around! Silkies are more prone to mites, so now that she's broody, might want to dust her while she's in one spot! ha! So glad your hen is laying! Isn't that crazy! Good for her! Can't wait to hear how her foot is doing after the bandage comes off. Hopefully it's all healing well.

Me, too! I love looking through hatchery catalogs or I go online and check them out. I couldn't believe it was snowing again today either. What a nuisance -- sorry I love the precipitation just hate the cold. That's something I should have mentioned was using Tek-Trol on eggs before you put them in the incubator. It really does make a difference, although, then you get some smarty pants like HEChicken, who takes her eggs through x-ray, packed in a suitcase and comes out with 16 of 18 and only one was infertile!
big_smile.png
Wild! That's a very good suggestion to check the expiration dates on the med chick starter. I never do but am going to start.
Where did you get your TekTrol? I've seen it in catalogs, but didn't know if there was a local source for it or not. I have Oxine, too.

My stupid water was frozen today when I went out. That sure makes me work harder. And it snowed really hard while I was out there working too. What the heck. It's supposed to be spring.
I got my first egg from the Red Bourbons since I moved the big boy in with them and the darn thing was frozen!!! Aarg!!!

I believe in having two kinds of birds. Those that are there for practical purposes and to make money with and those that are there for the eye candy. Luckily some can server both purposes.
Yeah, I didn't enjoy the snow either. Happy your bourbons are laying, but would that egg have been fertile-- or from your new Tom? Hopefully you'll be getting little bourbons this summer. My silkies definitely fall into the eye candy (and otherwise worthless) category! LOL Good thing I don't care!
big_smile.png

Thanks everyone for the good ole' Kansas "howdies" !

We are near Kingman. Grew up in Medicine Lodge & DH in Attica. DH manages Newberry Family Motors Ford in Kingman & I'm a SAHM. We have 4 sons ranging in age from 15 to 6
wink.png

Nice big barn! We used to have guinneas-- they just hang with the chickens. I think they are more curious than chickens and they want to be right up there with you. At least, that is our experience-- and they jumped on our cars and sat on our window edges so they could see in at us. We actually got rid of them because of the car trouble-- getting a scratch on a car was a deal breaker, and a dead bird. On the other hand, you can eat them too! LOL

I am raising them for eggs, and plan on selling quite a few eggs.

While I am playing egg farmer, my GF is planning on a green house and BIG garden, lol! My chickens will be worker chickens - they make pretty good little tillers you know!

Thanks for all the replies and the care you put in them!

Oh ..Heritage Breeds...I read somewhere That heritage breeds do not lay as well?
I guess I need to research the pro's and cons of heritage vs hatchery birds.

I am all for breed proliferation, but I will not be raising show birds. Nothing against it, just not my thing.
I will also be getting goats. I am not getting them for profit at all, just for fun. But since I am going to have some, I have decided to get one of the endangered breeds and hopefuly help them out. They are San Clemente Island Goats. So I guess that says, yeah I would be willing to keep "heritage" birds if it helps the breed. As long as they are Buff Orps, Welsummers , or Gold Laced Wyandottes - LOL....I don't even know if any of those are Heritage breeds, but they sure is purty!
I give my extra eggs away, but I know a lot of people sell them. I give them to my neighbor and my family. I REALLY want a greenhouse, so I have an entire album saved on Pinterest just on greenhouse designs! I want a charming DIY build. I was going to work on that next, but now it looks like I won't be able to do that.

As everyone else has said, the heritage birds lay the exact same number of eggs as the production birds do. Just more spread out over time and not all at once. Heritage birds last longer since they don't burn out as fast. But there are good points to going either way.

https://www.kansasforests.org/documents/conservationtrees/Price List.pdf

That is the Ks Forestry seedling price list. There are trees/shurbs that would be great to plant for poultry to use to escape from winged predators, wind breaks, etc.
Thank you! I wish I could order!!
sad.png
This Spring/summer is going to royally be a downer since I can't garden or plant. Sigh. It's all I live for in the warmer months. I'm going to go ahead and plant in my existing garden but leave it at that. I had plans to build another one that will have to be set aside.

I am SOOOO far behind! Yikes! So I am just going to jump back in. Sorry to all I have missed.
hide.gif

Ran nine million errands yesterday and got home and the horses have learned how to unlatch the gate and were loose! Fortunately they love grain so they followed me back in and I put snaps on the chains on the gate. Stinkers.

Lucie is going in tomorrow AM to have her right leg amputated. The bottom screw on the plate in that leg has broken and both the plate and pin are starting to bend outward. So the implant is going to fail before the leg can heal and the bone development is not very strong on that side anyway. She would need another major surgery and I can't keep her inside for another 4 months while she heals. She will do fine on three legs and at least the left leg is healed and strong so she will have one good leg to support her.
Ahhh, yep I have a Houdini horse myself! I have to chain all of my gates or he can get anything open! I'm so sorry about Lucie, but it sounds like she'll get around okay. Your move story sounds awful. So glad that you hired help for the rest of the move! We are NOT moving ourselves... no way!! I will be hiring that done. Especially with you having such a big baby belly now! You have no business working too hard.
wink.png

Well this is one of those cases I think I should have interfered. One of my goslings hatched. A second had to be helped this morning and third died after it pipped. Unfortunately the two that survived are both gray. The one that had fallen in the incubator and cracked open was white
I just candled a bunch of eggs to make room in the incubators. Kind of sad I had lots of turkey eggs that weren't fertile. I sure hope I didn't; butcher the only male knew what he was doing!
Are they the sebbies? Pictures?? Are they just fluff balls when they are hatched? Sorry your turkey eggs weren't fertile! Bummer!

I had an eventful chicken day yesterday. A lady on the FB swap had 6 roosters she wanted gone. I had one rooster here I didn't need but didn't want to set up everything to process just one bird, so it seemed like a good opportunity to pick up her birds and it is worth setting up to do 7 vs. 1. So yesterday morning I went and picked them up. After enlisting the help of Deerfield's kids to process, I added my little cockerel to the bunch and headed over to her place. And what an assembly line they have figured out - her kids are always so enjoyable to be around, but watching them work yesterday was truly a joy. And what great work they do!!! I brought home the dressed out birds and they were beautifully plucked and clean and ready to cook or go in the freezer. My kids have never helped with this process but DH and I talked this morning and decided that in the future they WILL be a part of it. They are happy to eat the meat afterward - they can participate in getting it to that point. Deerfield showed me her method after they are in the cone and I am definitely going to try it her way next time. The last time I did some it didn't go so well and it put me off but I think if I can adjust my method to doing it the way Deerfield does and get a little practice in, it won't be so bad in the future. Anyway, a big thank you to Deerfield and her "crew"!

I have a sick chicken. Does anyone have any experience with gapeworm? I'm pretty sure now that's what I'm dealing with. This hen has had some respiratory issues for awhile. I treated with VetRx and hoped she would throw it off. When that didn't work, I put her in the hospital and treated with Denagard, but it had no effect. Instead, she kept getting worse. She got so bad, I brought her in the house and set her up in a hospital in my living room (I normally don't bring chickens in the house so this tells you how ill she had become). I tried Tylan 50 and crossed my fingers after the first dose that I would see some improvement. By the time she was due for dose 2 the next day, I really couldn't tell any improvement but pulled her out and administered dose 2 anyway. After doing that I had her sitting on my knee observing her and pondering what to do if the Tylan doesn't kick in. Watching her, a lightbulb went off in my little brain. I've never seen gapeworm before but there was something about the way she is reaching up, kind of gasping for breath that had me run to my computer to look up YouTube for gapeworm videos and now I'm pretty sure that is what my hen has. It explains why she isn't responding to the Denagard or Tylan. Fortunately, more research said that gapeworm will respond to Ivermectin and since I already have that on hand, I hastily mixed some up and replaced her water with that. That was yesterday afternoon but this morning I'm still not seeing much improvement. There was one thread on it that I read that said to just cull a bird with gapeworm because its so hard to treat. Others gave a little more hope and said Ivermectin (among others) WILL help. Another thread said that the gapeworms will stop sucking blood (they are little worms that lodge in the trachea and the gasping for air is because the windpipe is so clogged with worms that the hen can't get enough air) once they detect the wormer and can hold off on eating for several days, so they said you have to dose for multiple days in order to kill them. So I think that is why I'm not seeing much improvement after the first 16 hours on the wormer. I'm hoping she can hang in there long enough for the wormer to kill the worms, but she is a pretty sick bird now. If only I had recognized the signs immediately as gapeworm and treated for that rather than a respiratory infection, although I'm not kicking myself too much as the wheezing, and difficulty breathing are pretty classic respiratory. I did want to share this though so that it is on people's minds to look for rather than just assuming respiratory.

What I don't know yet (but intend to find out) is where she got it and why only one bird in the flock seems to have it. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.
So nice that Deerfield can do the bird for you! Sounds like she has quite a system! I have no experience with gape worm! I'm sooo sorry you are dealing with that. I'm fearful about ever dealing with that one, it sounds terrible!! I hope she will make it, it sounds like it's touch and go.

Hello all! Im New to byc and from the SEK Around Parsons KS. happy to be here and if anyone can help. Looking for Poultry sales/swaps in Kansas. Thanks for any help!
WELCOME to the Kansas group!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So yesterday, I cleaned out the brooder and got everyone fed and water and cleaned out. I looked over my sick bird and she is doing better, BUT--- she was all hunched over and I couldn't figure out why she still didn't look right! So while I was holding her and looking into her eyes, I noticed she was CRAWLING with mites!!! And I mean.. a very severe case of mites! It makes me itch to think how many were on her! UGH! And how I missed that, I have NO idea! So I dusted her with Sevin dust and all the mites fell off in about 3 minutes flat and she immediately stood upright and started grooming herself and started acting happy! It took no time at all for her to start clucking and looking like an entirely different chicken. I swear, I am SOLD on Sevin dust. There just isn't anything better. So anyway, I dusted the rest of the flock on the off chance they had it too. I went out this morning and everyone is happy and in good spirits. Now I can hit my head wondering how long she's had those mites and if that contributed to some of her "looking" ill when she was having the respiratory congestion. Sheesh. I'll need to remember to dust them again in a week for anything I missed or new eggs.

The barred rock chicks are happy. We had a couple of them in the house for the kids to play with. They are getting more friendly and starting to fall asleep when you hold them and pet them. Fun stuff! I want them really friendly! So when the kids get home, I ask them if they want to play with the chickies! LOL

Trish I notice you mention guineas I've been trying to read about them not finding too much. Do you let them free range? We had terrible tick problem last year and wanted at least 6 guinea. Can you share some info on them please. Like what kind of housing? And anyone else feel free to jump in
. Also any info on duck I want a few pecking
I raised mine from keets & they have been in the hoop coop with my peafowl since they were old enough to put outside. I let the ones out that want to come out, usually a group of about 6 or so & they free-range during the day, but are waiting at the door of the coop to go back in & eat in the evening. If they're not right there they usually aren't too far off & I can just call GUINEAS & they will come. The rest I have in that coop have never wanted to come out of there at all, if I get them out I will have to go in & chase them out. I'm just going to leave the females in there for the most part & let them lay eggs.
frow.gif
Good morning everyone! It is not looking like the nice day today that I thought we were going to get. Hopefully this cloud cover will pass over and the sun will come out later. I have outdoor plans this afternoon that will be nicer with sun. On a more positive note, someone told me yesterday that more snow is predicted for next week. I don't know where she got her information but all the weather forecasts I have looked at have said possible rain but no snow - yay!

Josie - thinking of Lucie this morning as she goes in for her surgery - hope it goes well. Please update us as soon as you get a chance.

I had an eventful chicken day yesterday. A lady on the FB swap had 6 roosters she wanted gone. I had one rooster here I didn't need but didn't want to set up everything to process just one bird, so it seemed like a good opportunity to pick up her birds and it is worth setting up to do 7 vs. 1. So yesterday morning I went and picked them up. After enlisting the help of Deerfield's kids to process, I added my little cockerel to the bunch and headed over to her place. And what an assembly line they have figured out - her kids are always so enjoyable to be around, but watching them work yesterday was truly a joy. And what great work they do!!! I brought home the dressed out birds and they were beautifully plucked and clean and ready to cook or go in the freezer. My kids have never helped with this process but DH and I talked this morning and decided that in the future they WILL be a part of it. They are happy to eat the meat afterward - they can participate in getting it to that point. Deerfield showed me her method after they are in the cone and I am definitely going to try it her way next time. The last time I did some it didn't go so well and it put me off but I think if I can adjust my method to doing it the way Deerfield does and get a little practice in, it won't be so bad in the future. Anyway, a big thank you to Deerfield and her "crew"!

The little cockerel of mine that was included in the bunch yesterday was a Sultan/EE mix that resulted when I tried for the blue egg layers last fall. He was a nice little guy, but I didn't need him. I certainly wasn't going to breed him and he was never going to be big enough to be a good flock protector either (besides, I figure why not double up and have a flock protector I also want as a breeder?) I do have a funny story to tell about him from just yesterday though. My neighbor has a production red hen, who spends most of each day hanging out with my flock, but on the other side of the fence from them. Yesterday that little cockerel was doing his best to "woo" her and he had me laughing as he followed her up and down the fence line, alternately dragging a wing and then finding treats (on his side of the fence) and calling her over to share them.

I have a sick chicken. Does anyone have any experience with gapeworm? I'm pretty sure now that's what I'm dealing with. This hen has had some respiratory issues for awhile. I treated with VetRx and hoped she would throw it off. When that didn't work, I put her in the hospital and treated with Denagard, but it had no effect. Instead, she kept getting worse. She got so bad, I brought her in the house and set her up in a hospital in my living room (I normally don't bring chickens in the house so this tells you how ill she had become). I tried Tylan 50 and crossed my fingers after the first dose that I would see some improvement. By the time she was due for dose 2 the next day, I really couldn't tell any improvement but pulled her out and administered dose 2 anyway. After doing that I had her sitting on my knee observing her and pondering what to do if the Tylan doesn't kick in. Watching her, a lightbulb went off in my little brain. I've never seen gapeworm before but there was something about the way she is reaching up, kind of gasping for breath that had me run to my computer to look up YouTube for gapeworm videos and now I'm pretty sure that is what my hen has. It explains why she isn't responding to the Denagard or Tylan. Fortunately, more research said that gapeworm will respond to Ivermectin and since I already have that on hand, I hastily mixed some up and replaced her water with that. That was yesterday afternoon but this morning I'm still not seeing much improvement. There was one thread on it that I read that said to just cull a bird with gapeworm because its so hard to treat. Others gave a little more hope and said Ivermectin (among others) WILL help. Another thread said that the gapeworms will stop sucking blood (they are little worms that lodge in the trachea and the gasping for air is because the windpipe is so clogged with worms that the hen can't get enough air) once they detect the wormer and can hold off on eating for several days, so they said you have to dose for multiple days in order to kill them. So I think that is why I'm not seeing much improvement after the first 16 hours on the wormer. I'm hoping she can hang in there long enough for the wormer to kill the worms, but she is a pretty sick bird now. If only I had recognized the signs immediately as gapeworm and treated for that rather than a respiratory infection, although I'm not kicking myself too much as the wheezing, and difficulty breathing are pretty classic respiratory. I did want to share this though so that it is on people's minds to look for rather than just assuming respiratory.

What I don't know yet (but intend to find out) is where she got it and why only one bird in the flock seems to have it. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.
I have never had any experience with gapeworm, but then I never was looking for it either. I hope you can find something to help your hen, let us know what you find out.
Hello all! Im New to byc and from the SEK Around Parsons KS. happy to be here and if anyone can help. Looking for Poultry sales/swaps in Kansas. Thanks for any help!
Welcome to BYC & Consolidated Kansas! I see that someone else gave you the link to the Kansas Poultry Swap site on Facebook. If you go to the top of that page there is a Files folder there, click on that & you will see a document with Swaps & Auctions, open that up & there is a list of all the Swaps in the state that I have collected. Just send me a PM if you have any questions. We're glad to have you, join in any time.

I agree, it's not the warmer day here that I was hoping for. It's windy & chilly & I was hoping to do some things outside today. I've been working frantically to put together enough nest boxes for my little rabbits who are due this week. I've got them all done but one, I've got to get downstairs & get that one thrown together. I've been taking them out as I get them done & the little mommas are already building their nests. I cut it kind of close this time. I have never had this many does due to kindle at one time, I hope they all do OK. Last year I didn't have but one or two who were old enough to breed, that's why I'm scrambling for nest boxes this year. They're not hard to put together, it's just time constraint with them needing to be done yesterday at this point. I have one little doe that is a very good little mother, but boy is she a grouchy one, I found out the hard way to keep my hands away from her when she's expecting or has a litter. She bit the heck out of my thumb last year, ouch!

Verna, I was going to tell you that I did get some animal crackers, & have been taking them down with me when I go to the goat pen. I found out Patches likes them & she will come over to get one when I hold one out for her. She is slowly warming up to me, she's still kind of skittish but not as bad as she was. Penny has gotten cut down to one bottle a day now at bedtime & she is not happy about it. She looks for that bottle every morning when I go down to let them out of the shelter & she bumps my legs & jumps up on me looking for it. I really think she'll be fine without them, she is eating grain well & browsing on hay & grass that is growing in the pen. She just thinks she needs the bottle because she is so used to having them. She is still wearing her little coat because it's still chilly.

Penny with her little dog coat on & Patches to the right.

Last edited:
Trish, Yep the cookies will have that girl your buddy in no time. I liked to treat my goats because it was just like having dogs waiting for their dog biscuits. They start thinking,"She's my friend. She gives me special treats." Call her by name when you bring out treats and she'll quickly learn to come to you. It really takes very little to give them something special. We could make a bag of those cookies last forever... Well, until the dogs started sitting for them as well!
I'll get some pictures of my new babies later. I tried but my card isn't reading. Sometimes the stupid thing just does that. I have no idea why.
I am going to have to move the goosies soon. One of them is bent on tasting a light colored Swedish chick in there.
I got eggs in the third incubator and already filled 2+ shelves.
I need to decide if I am going to buy another incubator or attempt to make one.

barnie.gif
hide.gif
idunno.gif
In the process of writing anouther grant for the 4H. This time for a building extension!! I hope I can make this work!!
he.gif
th.gif
So you may not see me around on here too much, as I have to get all my bids in and this put together by the 31st or before if possible. WEEE
wee.gif
off to the funny farm, where life is beautiful ALL THE TIME!!

[quote name="Hawkeye95" url="/t/248925/consolidated-kansas/21660#post_10786776"and they jumped on our cars and sat on our window edges so they could see in at us.  We actually got rid of them because of the car trouble-- getting a scratch on a car was a deal breaker, and a dead bird.[/quote]

AH! Thanks for the heads up! My DH manages a FORD dealership, so we're usually driving newer vehicles (full use D-tags). This is why he won't let us get goats :( Yep - if he saw anything crawling on the vehicles, it'd be dead post haste! He might think twice if it were one of the children though - hee,hee ;)

Hi Chicken Danz - I respect that this is your perspective and experience. I think I used to think the same thing, until I began to interact with other "working LGD" and specifically pyrenees owners and breeders on several yahoo lists. I did so not only for more insight into my Danny, but in preparation for choosing a female partner for him and breeding/raising at least one litter of puppies. There are several things I can respond to in your post. One of them is that you have adult dogs. When you have adult trained dogs, THEY train the puppies - including to listen to and obey you. Yes, instinct is important, and most pyrs have the guardian instinct - but some more than others, and some more inclined towards certain guardian tasks - ie chickens versus goats. If someone purchases a pyrenees and doesn't realize that once the parent and/or alpha dog on the breeder's farm is no longer present, they need to become alpha, then there are going to be problems. It is because people don't realize this that pyrenees have gotten a "bad" name as chicken guardians. They can be excellent - some more than others. But any of them can be trained. If that training is not provided - including the consistent "NO" you give your puppies when they are behaving inappropriately - then there are likely to be problems - particularly with chickens. Pyrenees were bred to guard goats and sheep. That is in their genes, bred over hundreds if not thousands of years.. And guarding "their" human folk, particularly children. But working with chickens is not inbred in them. They can easily learn to transfer their innate instincts to whatever animals you choose to have them guard. But it does require learning. MUCH less training and intervention when an adult alpha working dog is present and involved, modeling and demanding appropriate behavior. The heartbreaking thing about all this is that there are so so many people puchasing pyrs (and other LGD's) without knowing what is involved. The result is the dogs being abandoned or turned into shelters, where more often than not they are put down, since it is not deemed often prudent or successful to place a former/failed "working dog" into another working farm. And most family homes are not set up for a pyr's needs. They can make excellent pets, making the family members their "guardees" - but pyrs are not happy without a job. And if the family members are working out of the home, as is the case with many/most families these days, the dog gets lonely and bored and can become destructive. So people on the lists I am participating on who are involved in the rescue process with pyrenees BEG that people do their research first, that they find breeders who understand what is involved in training a pyr when it comes to poultry (biggest reason a pyr is turned in at a shelter is that the dog has killed a chicken). Almost any pyr can be taught how to work with poultry - but if not taught it is the luck of the draw what will happen. And way way way too many pyrs are being put down needlessly. So, yes, I do feel strongly about this. That being said, it sure sounds like your dogs are being introduced to poultry guarding in a best possible way - with you reinforcing the training provided by the parents. And I think folks getting your puppies are lucky to be getting ones so well exposed. But even with all that, there could still be later issues, if the purchasing farm does not have adult working dogs to keep the puppies in line when they are no longer under the parent's supervision - and particularly as they go through the adolescent stage that almost all pyrs go through. I'm not making this up - there is a ton of information out there, whole books and training guides, and lots of information available online as well. I guess I really really want folks to know that pyrs can be GREAT poultry guardian, but that it requires knowledge and work on the owner's part. I don't want any more pyrs needlessly being put down for killing a chicken, when noone taught them not to....
I'm glad that hasn't happened with your dogs - or with mine. But it does happen. Sara
I have had Great Pyrenees for the last 30 years and will adapt to poultry. But they must be taught this when a puppy. I have had problems with free ranging chickens getting in areas that the dogs think they shouldn't be. But they are good protectors. I have cottontail rabbits every where. Even in the goat shed in cold weather.

SunflowerParrot - were they puppies or older dogs that had been trained? Guessing & hoping puppies but just wanted to clarify
wink.png
thnx!
Puppies... 8 weeks old when I brought them home. I never had to do anything but put them out in the yard - no training, nothing. The only time I saw one of my GP think about causing trouble was when a rooster was mounting a hen and another rooster came over to dispute with the rooster :) But my GP did good - he just went trotting over and watched. I gave him lots of praise. He is 6 months old now.

Does anybody have miniature horses? Or can anybody tell me where I can get information on miniature horses?

My daughter has been begging me for one. I have been trying to do some research but having a hard time finding much information on them. Not sure how much different they would be from full size horses.

Does anybody have miniature horses? Or can anybody tell me where I can get information on miniature horses?

My daughter has been begging me for one. I have been trying to do some research but having a hard time finding much information on them. Not sure how much different they would be from full size horses.
From what I understand, the smaller the animal, the longer the lifespan. Smaller horses also have a greater tendency to founder. Beyond that, I am not aware that minis/ponies are any different than their larger counterparts, though I have worked with ponies but never minis.

Back
Top Bottom