Consolidated Kansas

It's been over a month since anyone posted on here. Darn I hate to see that. The birds have decided to go on strike laying for the most part. Too much rain and too high heat for them I guess. I'm very slowly weeding out my excess. I sold a few more yesterday to a new chicken owner. This is the third time she's come to buy birds. I gave her really dirt cheap prices cause I could tell she was going to be an awesome chicken mom.
I had a not supposed to happen litter from one of the pyrenees. She was way to young to breed but produced beautiful pups. They sold before the were weaning age. But I backed out of one sale due to certain circumstances. So I now have one pup left and I am really enjoying him. He is a perfect poultry pup and hasn't offered to chase any birds. His Mom is really training him well and plays with him teaching him how to wrestle etc. She amazes me. She will stand back and let him eat no matter how tasty the food is. I have to catch her without him to get her to eat good treats like raw meat.
I haven't advertised him simply because I'm not sure where to do it these days. He's almost 10 weeks old right now. Just want to post his picture cause I think he's cute. But of course let me know if you're interested.View attachment 1882667

My hens went on strike during the heat wave too. But it didn’t faze my ducks. The chickens just started laying again last week.

@LoveMyChickenBabies congrats on your new hens. I love to watching the turkeys strut. My boys strut for anything and everything. They don't care if it's a turkey, a human or a chicken. ;)
@TashaFrancois the temperature is supposed to be going down mid week. I'm so relieved. I'm hoping the chickens will be happy too.
I lost one of my big Orp roosters to the heat yesterday. Well, he isn't dead... but he has brain damage and I'm trying to get him to survive. I need him for breeding. I'm not sure he'll recover. His body temperature was super high.

@LoveMyChickenBabies congrats on your new hens. I love to watching the turkeys strut. My boys strut for anything and everything. They don't care if it's a turkey, a human or a chicken. ;)
@TashaFrancois the temperature is supposed to be going down mid week. I'm so relieved. I'm hoping the chickens will be happy too.
I lost one of my big Orp roosters to the heat yesterday. Well, he isn't dead... but he has brain damage and I'm trying to get him to survive. I need him for breeding. I'm not sure he'll recover. His body temperature was super high.

Oh I’m sorry. Poor thing.

Hello, fellow Kansan poultry fanatics! I am new to Backyard Chickens and am wondering how to search this Kansas thread for specific information. The thread currently has 3735 pages and I do not have the free time to read through all of them. Any ideas how to search? Thanks!

First, just ask a question. Several members have a good knowledge base and can most likely give you an answer. Secondly you can just go to the list of forums and do a search but that won't limit you to this thread. Ask away and if we don't know we can help you find the answer.

I am a new chicken owner seeking suggestions/recommendations for additional winter protection for my chickens. I purchased chicks in May 2019 and currently utilize a mobile pasturing system for them with which I have been very pleased; a Justin Rhodes Chickshaw 2.0 and Premier1 electric poultry netting. I live in Northeast Kansas, west of Kansas City, and am contemplating overwintering the Chickshaw inside a hoop house, not a hoop coop. Do any of you have experience with such as that?

I am not seeking plans for a static coop nor a hoop-type chicken tractor.

Last edited:
For winter protection it doesn't take much. I live about an hour SW of KC myself. There are a few things to remember. Block the north and west wind. Those are the directions the coldest air comes from. You don't need insulation. You do need some kind of venting. It may seem counter productive to leave a vent open all winter, but a closed coop means higher humidity which makes it feel colder and will cause frost bite. If you have a hoop house that would be awesome. The main thing to remember about chickens here in the winter is to make sure they have water that isn't frozen. Many of us use heated dog water bowls to keep water thawed. I also recommend keeping the water outside of the actual coop part so you won't raise humidity and avoids spills which could cause mold. I personally like using homemade water buckets, using a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and horizontal nipples drilled in close to the bottom. There are some drop in heaters that work well with these. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HT9DAHY/?tag=backy-20
I have also taken the heating element from heated water bowls and taped them to the bottom of the 5 gallon buckets.
If you just have a few birds the heated water bowls are fine. I looked at the chickshaw and with the electric netting you could just use the same system for winter. Just be sure to put the open part on the south.
If using your hoop house however, depending on size, that would give them more room and probably keep them from as much winter stress.
Chickens do much better in winter than they do in the heat of summer. You might consider putting shavings or straw in the bottom of your coop to add some insulation.
Let me know if this helps or if you have further questions.

For winter protection it doesn't take much. I live about an hour SW of KC myself. There are a few things to remember. Block the north and west wind. Those are the directions the coldest air comes from. You don't need insulation. You do need some kind of venting. It may seem counter productive to leave a vent open all winter, but a closed coop means higher humidity which makes it feel colder and will cause frost bite. If you have a hoop house that would be awesome. The main thing to remember about chickens here in the winter is to make sure they have water that isn't frozen. Many of us use heated dog water bowls to keep water thawed. I also recommend keeping the water outside of the actual coop part so you won't raise humidity and avoids spills which could cause mold. I personally like using homemade water buckets, using a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and horizontal nipples drilled in close to the bottom. There are some drop in heaters that work well with these. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HT9DAHY/?tag=backy-20
I have also taken the heating element from heated water bowls and taped them to the bottom of the 5 gallon buckets.
If you just have a few birds the heated water bowls are fine. I looked at the chickshaw and with the electric netting you could just use the same system for winter. Just be sure to put the open part on the south.
If using your hoop house however, depending on size, that would give them more room and probably keep them from as much winter stress.
Chickens do much better in winter than they do in the heat of summer. You might consider putting shavings or straw in the bottom of your coop to add some insulation.
Let me know if this helps or if you have further questions.

Thank you for all the good suggestions and recommendations.

I have been reading a lot about the importance of good ventilation in the coop especially in the winter. I am contemplating placing straw or hay square bales around three sides at ground level to help stop drafts from underneath. That would leave the south side open. There is the option of partially covering the hardware cloth sides with clear plastic allowing vent space along the top.

I appreciate hearing your recommendation regarding methods of keeping water thawed and am leaning toward heated dog water bowls. I have 11 birds and think that would be a good option outside the coop.

Thank you for looking up the chickshaw. I built one in June and have been using it since the first of July. The system has worked beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom