Consolidated Kansas

maidenwoldx80

First, how many eggs are you planning to incubate at one time?

Incubators come in many sizes, and you kinda need to know that figure, unless you are planning to expand, and hatch like danz does.
I have two incubators.
My big GQF. It has the auto turners, auto water, pretty much set and forget it. I have a 5 gal. bucket of water that sits on top so once I set the eggs, I don't open the door until its time for the eggs to go into the hatcher.
Then earlier this fall, I bought a used Brinsea off of the Kansas poultry swap page. I have it running right now with cream legbar eggs in it from Maryland.
I like the idea of the small incubator also, just because I don't always need a 300 egg incubator running. It satisfys my need to hatch eggs, and not run up a huge electric bill hatching 6 to 8 eggs.

Really thou, there are many types of incubators out there, from styrofoam to metal, wood to plastic.
I like the auto waterers, and turners, sure makes life easier when you have a bunch to hatch. Two less thing to worry about, let the machine do that work for you!

Ivy update: While they were here last weekend they found a dog out in the wildlife area, so they are going to keep her. She also told my she did not get the job in Joplin at Walmart on the west side of town. She is being patient, but, they wanted to be moved before cold weather got here, and I just don't think that is going to happen now.
Worries me a lot, but Ivy just keeps marching on the best she can. Oh, my guess Iam a worry wart sister!!

Congrats Josie!!! Healthy, happy & smooth delivery is my wish for you!

My DH wouldn't even pick out girls names, NO WAY was he having girls, only boys, pitchers and quarterbacks...first two were girls & they had him wrapped around their little fingers in no time!! He's got cheerleaders on academic scholarships and could not be happier or prouder.

I was breaking ice and watering this morning, the door for the young chickens pen didn't get shut correctly, they got out with the bigs and the mean roosters started team molesting my poor young pullets. I did manage to get the young girls back in the coop and shut the pop door, little feathers in those mean Rooster's beaks. It's D day for those two jerks! As soon as my son gets home from school those roosters are culled. I should have done this a couple of weeks ago!

Quote: That's what I meant about the cold snap... I may not bring them into the warm house, but I'd put them someplace where they could be eased into the new temperatures more gradually. This being Kansas and all, "easing" into seasons isn't exactly our strength here. XD

Like you said, though--the one upside is that it will be the strong that survive.

That's what I meant about the cold snap... I may not bring them into the warm house, but I'd put them someplace where they could be eased into the new temperatures more gradually. This being Kansas and all, "easing" into seasons isn't exactly our strength here. XD

Like you said, though--the one upside is that it will be the strong that survive.
I know weather isnt our friend here in missouri either. But it is something you get used to ...In my opinion midwestern birds have to be tough and hardy or they wont survive our crazy rollercoaster weather patterns. Cross your fingers that this winter isnt too terrible on our little ones. This is the first winter for all of my birds, they are taking it well so far. If they got thru that summer I am sure they will be fine this winter.

maidenwoldx80

Incubators come in many sizes, and you kinda need to know that figure, unless you are planning to expand, and hatch like danz does.
I have two incubators.
My big GQF. It has the auto turners, auto water, pretty much set and forget it. I have a 5 gal. bucket of water that sits on top so once I set the eggs, I don't open the door until its time for the eggs to go into the hatcher.
Then earlier this fall, I bought a used Brinsea off of the Kansas poultry swap page. I have it running right now with cream legbar eggs in it from Maryland.
I like the idea of the small incubator also, just because I don't always need a 300 egg incubator running. It satisfys my need to hatch eggs, and not run up a huge electric bill hatching 6 to 8 eggs.

Really thou, there are many types of incubators out there, from styrofoam to metal, wood to plastic.
I like the auto waterers, and turners, sure makes life easier when you have a bunch to hatch. Two less thing to worry about, let the machine do that work for you!

Ivy update: While they were here last weekend they found a dog out in the wildlife area, so they are going to keep her. She also told my she did not get the job in Joplin at Walmart on the west side of town. She is being patient, but, they wanted to be moved before cold weather got here, and I just don't think that is going to happen now.
Worries me a lot, but Ivy just keeps marching on the best she can. Oh, my guess Iam a worry wart sister!!
Ok I really want one that is easy to use and I probably wouldnt hatch more than a 12-24 at one time. I am donating alot of my hatches to be butchered to feed hungry people, so I want to have some for that and of course for myself. With that info what would you suggest? and yes on the auto turning and watering, and gauges etc.

I hope your sister gets a job soon , the job market is terrible. I am crossing my fingers for her.

My DH wouldn't even pick out girls names, NO WAY was he having girls, only boys, pitchers and quarterbacks...first two were girls & they had him wrapped around their little fingers in no time!! He's got cheerleaders on academic scholarships and could not be happier or prouder.

I was breaking ice and watering this morning, the door for the young chickens pen didn't get shut correctly, they got out with the bigs and the mean roosters started team molesting my poor young pullets. I did manage to get the young girls back in the coop and shut the pop door, little feathers in those mean Rooster's beaks. It's D day for those two jerks! As soon as my son gets home from school those roosters are culled. I should have done this a couple of weeks ago!
beautiful young ladies,, I am sure daddy keeps a shotgun handy..
wink.png

I keep thinking I'm going to make a cookie tin heater, then I don't get around to making one. I do the same thing someone mentioned, I just keep an eye on the water. I don't fill the waterer very full so it's easy to add some warm water, or empty it and add fresh unfrozen water. We also empty the waterer at night and bring it in the house. We aren't usually gone for hours and hours at a time. If we do think we will be gone and water might freeze, my FIL is always willing to come check things out for us.

Well, it was actually kind of funny. Four of the ducks routinely sleep in the coop and the other two spend the night on the pond. So, last night one of those two was busily preening while the "losers" filed into the coop. You know, because she's way too good for that nonsense. Meanwhile, her best friend was following the other four into the coop. Miss Preener suddenly looked up to the see the tail of her best friend disappearing through the pop door and, at the thought of being left outside by herself, ran as fast as you can run on those huge duckie paddles they call feet. She couldn't get in the door fast enough once she realized she was going to be left out all by herself.

I can see this whole thing in my head! LOL!

We'll be keeping our fingers crossed something comes up for him so you guys can stay in Wichita.

Yes, mine are crossed, too.

Well, I forgot to mention yesterday that mama pushed both the other unhatched eggs away, so I broke them open. One was only half developed, but the other looked like it was fully grown. Don't know what happened, but it must not have been able to get out of the egg. So sad. At least I have two baby chickies. They are doing fine!

That's sad, but I'm glad you still have a couple of fuzzies to keep you entertained.

Hey guys, its been awhile since i've been on here due to how busy ive been with school and junk lately but the city council fiiiinally voted on the new chicken ordinance and despite our thinking they were in our favor one that we thought we had on our side turned at the last minute and the ordinance was turned down.Soooo I hate to break it to myself but i'm really in a sticky situation right now because i have to find a new home for them and i have vacation and 2 family Christmas' coming up so if i could find a new home for them before all that takes place that would be great. So if anyone is interested please just send me a Personal Message. FYI: if you want them they're free but you'll have to drive to Marysville, Kansas to get them. There are 4 barred plymouth rock hens (1 years old going on 2 in the coming spring) 1 EE (black, and 2 years going on 3 in the spring) and 1 RIR hen (in mid-moult right now but other wise she's been a great hen) soooo If ive left anything out please just let me know via Personal Message (because, I hate to say it but, i honestly don't have time to scroll through all the pages to see what anyone has said. Sorry! Oh, i also have 3 chicks that hatched around the beginning of october (2 hens 1 Roo). I already have someone that thinks they'll take the roo and now that i know i have to get rid of all of them i'll ask them if he wants the to pullets to BUT if he defers And you might be interested please let me know and i'll ask him. Any feed back would be FANTASTIC and the sooner the better. Again if i have left out any important details JUST Personal message me. My email is [email protected] or PM me for my cell phone #. The reason i don't have a price is not only due to the fact that i don't know how to reasonably price chickens but I REALLY need to get these guys moving before the INSANELY busy holidays begin. (Free will donation would be accepted of course. I REALLY want these guys to go to a good home and have a happy rest of their lives. WEEELLLLLLLL for now this is farewell. I hope to hear back from anyone SOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Very Much Appreciated, -- "The ChicknBaron"

I'm sorry the ordinance was turned down. If there's enough interest, maybe it will be brought up again and again until they finally pass it.

Had our sonogram today and....

It's a GIRL!!!!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif

Congratulations!!!

Well the saga goes on. I lost a cream legbar and another maran early evening to the cold. Both of them in the same situation, directly under the heat lamps and a group of other chickens. The floor in the brooder is cold. I have shavings in there but it doesn't seem to keep it warm enough. We went to Emporia last night and I checked when we got home. I haven't been out this morning. This is starting to get expensive. I could put another bale of shavings in there I guess but I don't know if it would help. And that means more mess in the water and the feed. I haven't had this problem before this winter. I used the same brooder last winter and another house the year before and I've never had this problem. I really can't afford to keep loosing birds like this. I am so ready for the weather to break and for it to warm up some. I was filling waterers yesterday for the brooder outside and as the water landed it froze. That was mid afternoon when it was the warmest.
I've always liked raising fall hatched chicks before but this isn't working for sure.

That's sad about all the birds you've lost. I hope they acclimate to the cold soon.
hit.gif

You're a good sister! I hope things work out for her, and soon.

It's funny how quickly those big tough guys fall for their girls!

Well I figured out why my hens cut down on laying so drastically, they must have bumped the light bulb in the hanging light in the coop & it wasn't coming on. I should have checked it before, but I didn't. I had set the timer to stay on longer so I could see if it was working & it wasn't this morning so I started investigating. Gladly it was something easy to fix, so we'll see in the next few days if they pick up again. That marans hen is still acting lethargic, she was just sitting on the roost when I went in to collect eggs & I shooed her off & made her go outside. They're not terribly energetic hens anyway, but she is really show now. She is not sneezing, coughing, no discharge from her eyes or nose, just no outward signs of illness. What do you all think could be wrong with her? She is the only one like that. The rooster that came with those two hens died last year from heart disease, do you think this could be what is going on with her?

Well I'm off to Wichita today for a Dr. appt with my cardiologist, just a yearly checkup, then some errands. I hope everybody has a good day. Danz, I'm sorry about your chicks, it's supposed to warm up each day a little.
Trish I think that is a fair possibility. Either a bad heart or maybe egg bound. I've had a couple birds like that in the past but never could find any reason for it.
Quote:
I have used the 3 gallon buckets for the geese. They are the same size around as the 5 gallon, but shorter. The muscovies like to use them as bathtubs. The 3 gallon black feed pans are very good. No problems with them getting stuck, big enough for them to sit in if they want and small enough to easily dump and rinse.

The brooder problems, would something covering the sides help to stop drafts and keep the heat in so they wouldn't pile under the lights? A feed bag is about the right size to cover such spaces.
My brooder is 7 foot by 14 feet, and the sides are insulated. The floor isn't and it's cold. I thought I had another bale of shavings but I must have used it already. At least I only lost one more chicken today. Right under the light again.
Maidenwolf, love your new avatar picture!

I know this has been discussed so instead of everyone posting here if you would like you can just pm me. I am wanting to buy an incubator next month and want to know what kind to get. Still air, circ air, auto control, self turning? There are so many options. I will have about $200 to spend, less is better if possible. It is the xmas money fromall family. They are putting all their money together and giving it to me to buy an incubator and they are taking me to get it so I dont spend the money on anything for anyone else lol.
How wonderful of your family to donate the money to you. I would certainly recommend one that has a fan and auto turning. I would be watching craigslist for one. Come about January people are going to start asking more for them. I like my GQF's but they hatch a lot and they run about $700 new. Whatever you decide on we'll be here to help mentor you.
Quote:
I think if I was raising fall-hatched chicks, I would probably bring them indoors... at least for sudden cold snaps. I'm not one to coddle my critters, but baby chicks are so fragile and are such a big investment at times.

Why DO hens decide to molt right when it gets bitterly cold? My barred rock Maude really lucked out--she molted really hard just in time for winter, but the temps stayed pretty mild until she was mostly feathered in again. :p No one is getting pushed off the roost in my coop, thank goodness--my dad went really overkill on the number of roosts in there so there is room for everyone! lol
Prairie chickens, I have at least 200 chicks in my brooder. It's not something I can bring inside. Some of them are about 6 weeks and several are 3-4 weeks, then there are a couple groups of week olds. Yes they are a huge investment. I have never had this problem before. I am glad so many people posted they think it was the sudden weather change. It made me feel a little bit better. I turned up the dial on the oil heater. It is on a thermostat to turn on at 70 degrees at ceiling level. I figure if the oil gets hotter by turning up that thermostat maybe the heat will radiate a little further.
Originally Posted by Kansas Prairie
I keep thinking I'm going to make a cookie tin heater, then I don't get around to making one. I do the same thing someone mentioned, I just keep an eye on the water. I don't fill the waterer very full so it's easy to add some warm water, or empty it and add fresh unfrozen water. We also empty the waterer at night and bring it in the house. We aren't usually gone for hours and hours at a time. If we do think we will be gone and water might freeze, my FIL is always willing to come check things out for us.
I just bought some more sockets to make more. Now if I can just find the stupid cookie tins I bought last year I'll be in good shape. I honestly like using them for heaters in general cause they don't add light but it gives the chickens something to hang around.

Danz- Thank you, the pic is my bantam EE midnight, he is the one with the impacted crop. One day last week I heard him crow,, I went out and he was standing inthe yard with a scratchy crow. I went to him and he jumped up on my lap and WOW his crop was normal size I felt it, no impaction.. This had been impacted for 3+ months.. Oh goodness, It is all better now and he is now trying to catch up to everyone on the maturing and he is quickly rising in the peck order. He is just a beautiful little bird. Thank you also for the advice on the incubator, I will need to mentoring. I was so excited to hear that they were doing this. Usually they dont like to just get someone one gift but my dh's aunt talked everyone into it. She knew I really wanted it and told everyone that this would give us an opportunity to make money and raise our own food and everyone like that idea. I cant wait now lol. i hope I get enough money for one, I really am not positive on the amount yet, they want me to do research on ones I like to get prices. I want a good one, that will last but not a ridiculous price.

Quote: lol yeah, that's another factor! If it was me, there'd probably only be 10, 15 chicks tops involved. 200+ is too many to move indoors, let alone the ordeal of trying to gather them up... (I imagine an experience similar to trying to juggle handfuls of sand.) I'm sure you are an exemplary chicken-raiser-person and shouldn't feel bad at all about the unfortunate events that resulted from our chaotic weather. The chicks in your care no doubt receive the best care any little chick could hope for. :3

Cherwill, stick to your guns! I know you're sick of it, but it will only make you mad every time you have to see it or drive it. Have you been doing online searches? We found ours for a lot less than around here. If you don't mind driving a bit, you could extend your search to OKC and KC? Good luck finding your next car!

Danz, I don't know if I remembered to say earlier, but I'm really sorry about the birds you lost to the cold. So terrible! And with all the same conditions you were using from last year. I dont get it!
sad.png

maidenwoldx80

I have two incubators.

I'm so sorry Ivy didn't get that job!! Oh what a bummer! Wow. I was sure thinking she'd be a shoe in for it. I sure hope she can find something soon so they can make the move!

Beautiful girls you have! Chicken noodle soup sounds really good???
wink.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, I had a chicken emergency today! Cocoa, my polish that had been injured from my turkey over the summer some how got RE-injured! I don't know what she did! Or I know what she did, but I don't know HOW she managed to do it. Poor thing! She broke off more of her beak, and it's down past the soft tissue part! It's awful! I brought her in this evening and had my DH hold her while I put Iodine on her and clipped off the beak that was hanging loose. I took a picture BEFORE I clipped it off. The part that was torn off and hanging on was hanging on by FLESH and blood! There's no blood in the picture because I tried to clean it up as good as I could and rinsed it and poured Iodine on it and then used cotton balls to clean it up. Then I snipped it off and used more Iodine to clean it up. Poor thing, she screamed! I felt TERRIBLE cutting it off, but there was no way to put it back. We had out super glue to see if we could put it back, but there was no way.
hit.gif
I sure hope she'll be okay with half a beak on top!!

Click to enlarge if you wish to see what she did.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom