Consolidated Kansas

Danz, Lissy isn't it so that guineas will kill a fairly large snake? I have heard several times that over a period of several years they will reduce the number of snakes

Danz, Lissy isn't it so that guineas will kill a fairly large snake? I have heard several times that over a period of several years they will reduce the number of snakes

Johnson Grass..... I've heard that is can be deadly to some animals, especially in larger quantities. I have a large penned area (approximately 40' by 15') for my 3 little turkeys and it about 90% johnson grass. One of my little poults seem to have been quite congested with visible phlem this evening and I was not sure if this was due to eating too much of the johnson grass - the other poults are just fine. After this one little poult shook and shook his head for about an hour, he seems perfectly fine and back to normal (though I am keeping him separated for the evening just as precaution.)

I've let them completely free range with the chickens and others - they just seem a little too little to be out on their complete own like that. I did let them out for a few days and they have stuck fairly close to the home - but, I'm not wanting to take the risk of something getting them. They are SO SWEET - omgoodness - they follow me everywhere - they follow the chickens - they follow the dogs - they follow the cats - etc. So cute!

Thank you! I looked but couldn't find good information - I don't have hardly any in my main field (the goats graze out there on all kinds of stuff.. and I was told by their breeder not to let them eat a lot of Johnson Grass - I didn't know until then that it was toxic.)

I have another large penned area the little turkeys can go in and will just have them graze there during the day.

Again - thanks! (PS - little poult is fine this morning with no problems or symptoms of anything.. weird.)

Johnson grass should only be a problem when stressed. After a frost or drought it puts off cyanide, which is poisonous to any animal depending on dose. Would not take much to kill a small poult. I would think a bite or two would have made him sick.
The grass will return to normal after a good rain. The bad thing is, in a drought situation, Johnson grass will be one of the last to die. Any clover or rye or other tender grasses will die off much quicker leaving only the toxic Johnson for critters to graze. Johnson grass poisoning has dropped many full grown cows and horses. At one time horses were thought to be immune because when kept on same pastures as smaller mammals they did not get sick. Truth was they simply did not get as high of dose for their body weight.

So now that I have rambled, the quick answer is yes, Johnson grass can kill a chicken/turkey/quail/duck.....anything.

Johnson grass should only be a problem when stressed. After a frost or drought it puts off cyanide, which is poisonous to any animal depending on dose. Would not take much to kill a small poult. I would think a bite or two would have made him sick.
The grass will return to normal after a good rain. The bad thing is, in a drought situation, Johnson grass will be one of the last to die. Any clover or rye or other tender grasses will die off much quicker leaving only the toxic Johnson for critters to graze. Johnson grass poisoning has dropped many full grown cows and horses. At one time horses were thought to be immune because when kept on same pastures as smaller mammals they did not get sick. Truth was they simply did not get as high of dose for their body weight.

So now that I have rambled, the quick answer is yes, Johnson grass can kill a chicken/turkey/quail/duck.....anything.
My very educated and real farmer friend (I call her a real farmer because that is what she/her husband and both their families have done their whole life... 1000s of acres with 100s of cattle,etc. do for their living) responded to my question about Johnson grass this morning and she basically says the same thing you did RoosterLew: "Johnson grass is not toxic! Its actually a great food source! The only time it could possibly cause problems is during extreme drought where its been real dry, then it suddenly rains a whole bunch then you immediately turn your animals out on it. It can get high nitrates, but thats in extreme cases and its only a problem if thats the ONLY thing for the animal to eat. We love Johnson grass. Its great for the cows and we let our goats chow down on it and never once had a problem. It was actually brought to this country as a feed source for animals. Then it became rampant..."

So - I won't worry about it with the little turkeys :) The one is doing just fine this morning and acting like a normal little turkey poult!

How do you tactfully ask someone for something back that you let them borrow 7 months ago? :) I have a friend that let someone borrow something 7 months ago for a "short time" and that person is still using it.... they don't want to hurt their feelings, but really didn't want to lend it forever...

Back
Top Bottom