Consolidated Kansas

Yes goats can be real escape artists, especially the smaller varieties. That's why I got the bigger Boer goats because they're not "springy" like the little ones. They're heavier so they don't jump on things like smaller ones. All goats though can be destructive to fencing. I just have two females for brush control here but one of them likes to play butt heads through the fence with my sheep ram. I have cattle panels with smaller fencing between the pens but boy do they wreak havoc on it. I had to put fencing over the livestock panels because the goats tend to get their heads stuck in the squares & they have horns so it's not fun to get them out. Good luck with your goat adventure!

Hi. I'm baaaacccckkk. Sorry it has been so long. I have a question for all you Breda people.

Last spring my perennial broody hatched 2 chicks from "unfertilized" (I thought) eggs that I had given her to give her something to do. One egg was dark brown (Welsumer) and the other was white (Breda). The probable dad is an Easter Egger rooster from probably a brown egg layer mother and a true Araucana father (the egg was brown). Both hatched into healthy, lovely chicks. The pullet looks like a pure Breda (though I know she isn't because I don't have a Breda rooster (an EE, an Araucana (sp), or a Campine are the choices).

I just got the first egg from the pullet offspring. It is a dark olive green. With a white layer mom (who is pure Breda), how is this possible? This genetics stuff must be lots more complicated than I thought.

@chicken danz I'm glad someone has lots of eggs. I'm still getting a half dozen a day from my 35 or so layers. LOL
Sharol, the best I can tell you as far as genetics is that between the Araucana or the EE rooster that somewhere in there, you got two copies of the blue egg gene in the genetics. I suspect that it would have come from the araucana rooster because it is more likely to have both copies. There would also have to be some brown genetics in the line to produce the olive green color. And the Breda genetics could have a recessive white gene which would make the offspring lay green eggs. I had one hen who was the oldest one on the place that I recently let go to a new home who looked totally Auraucana but had feathered legs and she laid the most beautiful green eggs. I now have one hen that I hatched from my layers last spring that looks entirely Breda except that she has a single comb rather than no comb. Her daddy is a Breda that is the only rooster with that particular group of layers. No question of paternity. I tried to sell all my layers last summer but still have 4 or so in that group that I decided to just keep for egg diversity. I'm training a group of Bresse hens to the other laying coop right now. My eventual goal is to have all Bresse for layers with a Bresse rooster but I have had this Breda guy around for so many years he's a permanent fixture.
@NewWolf what happened to your chickens?
@Ralph Moyer , I would love to elininate pens instead of gaining them but it seems every time I empty one I need to fill one.

Its been a few years since the last time I was on this site. I will soon be getting back to having chickens again.
A lot has happened since I last posted on here. I lost my husband almost 3 years ago. My kiddos and have moved and we are starting to get somewhat back to normal.
I'm wanting to start this time with a few Brahmas. Going to try and find a few hatching eggs the beginning of April.

Glad to see you back, Michelle. Again I'm, sorry about your husband. I have 3 brahma pullets one person wanted to buy but he wants me to deliver them next weekend to an auction. I'm not sure I want to go since there isn't much consigned. It's not worth driving for what I would get. These are all older pullets closer to point of lay. I have several hatched brahmas but honestly don't know how many or what sex they are. They would still be chicks. Send me a message here or on facebook and let me know what you are looking for for sure and how many.

Back
Top Bottom