Consolidated Kansas

Good to know I am not the only one who looks (and dreams about) real estate.
fl.gif

real estate keeps dropping here, too. The great aero companies are starting to lay off AGAIN. They had said the worst was over, but another round went out in Boeing. A few hundred people out the door. These are no longer 'shop' people either--- but the engineers and technical skilled desk jobs they swore they would not lay off. So far, we're in the clear, but we're starting to worry! Prices are ridiculous here! If we knew we were going to be okay, I'd say this is the perfect time to upgrade and get a lot of house/land for the money. But we very well could be a causality as well and then sit on a home for sale for the next year. It's taking on average 6 months to a year (or more!) to sell a house now. A house near us with 5 acres and a horse barn was up for sale for 3 years, they finally defaulted and it went into foreclosure this year, and now it's up for sale with the bank. But dealing with a 'short sale' with the bank is not exactly an easy venture.

LOVING this weather!!! Yay!!

I'd love to have neighbors with similar interests. Chickens, gardens, woodworking, baking, blah blah blah. It gets lonely sometimes!! Any chance of a Fall get together I heard/saw mentioned somewhere??

Okay, I haven't gotten around to posting pics of my ducks yet but might later today. Back hurt last night so I'm not out of my jammies yet at almost 10:30 am. But I'm thinking about it. Soo so thankful for a hubby who lets the birdies out before he leaves for work AND puts the ice pack on my back before I get up. I am blessed. BUT I have this one Peking - a big dude in my opinion tho he's only around 5 mo old. He's hitting on my smaller girl duckies and I'm afraid he'll drown or otherwise harm them. Should I get a girl Peking for him? And if I do will he leave the smaller breeds alone or will they have to be kept separated? I have 7 ducks and two are known drakes. What to do? If I need Peking hen/hens do any of you Kansas folks have young ones for sale? I would think around the same age, or does it matter. I wouldn't want to put a Peking cougar in with the poor lad.

Quote:
Oh!! I want a green house and lots of raised gardens!
wink.png

I dream of a greenhouse too!!!!!!!! Have for years. When we had all our house windows replaced a couple yrs ago I didn't let anything left intact be thrown away. I harbor some hope yet.

ummmm.....I don't....
hide.gif

Call me a hermit or whatever. I don't want neighbors. Don't want housing or traffic. We bought "out in the sticks" so we could have solitude and seclusion. I don't think I'm "anti-social." Well, maybe just a little, but I think it is more that we just love the peace, serenity and solitude we find out here.

You guys on BYC ARE my commune!

As far as real estate dropping.... not here. Housing, yes, maybe so, but the price of ground has skyrocketed. We gave $1,100 an acre for our 160 5 years ago and we are told it is worth over $4,000 per acre now.
ep.gif
Some of the ground in this area has sold for $6,000! I am assuming there are folks who are uneasy with their stock market and other investments and figure investing in good farm gound is something that won't "evaporate."

Anyway, I'm glad we bought when we did, and wish we had bought more!

I agree that farmground is going up and not down in price. I know I'm lucky that I live on a fairly large farm. We inherited a small portion of it(a large farm divided between four siblings goes back to being a small farm) and back when we were younger every spare penny was put away for when a piece came up fro sale near our farm.

Land we paid not quite $800 an acre for 20 years ago would now bring $4000...and that's dryland not even irrigated. One of our pastures we paid a little over $200 an acre 25 years ago would bring at least $2000 now. Our sons would like to come back to the family farm....they are the 5th generation to grow up here....but our farm isn't large enough to support 3 families and there is no way that farming the ground will ever pay for it if we try and buy more. Most of it that is being sold around here is being bought up by investors...kind of a shame we farmers can't afford to buy farmground anymore.

Back
Top Bottom