Consolidated Kansas

Quote:
My dad is the chicken guy, but he is only really familiar with how a few breeds should look. We did spend quite a bit of time in the poultry barn. This year, they had much better looking birds than in years past. I think the last three or four years have been some of the worst. This year was so much better! Although... they did have several birds that had NO business being there. For one, when I was in 4H, you were not allowed to show anything that was missing feathers or had messed up feathers (bent, broken, etc). I saw a bird that was nearly naked on the back of it's neck. I saw a few more that were so feather picked, I felt terrible for them. WTH? I mean, my dad always helped me separate them and keep them in a pen all by themselves so they would not damage their feathers or get pecked. There were about 20 or so buff orpingtons, and I think every single one of them had comb damage- big black spots. One of them didn't look like any kind of damage-- his comb simply looked 'sick' with black speckles. I don't know what was going on with him. This includes the hens, too. The other breeds didnt' have this damage- so maybe that is common for that particular breed??? So odd, and yucky. I think the best looking breeds there were the silver laced wyandots and the little small 'old english' whatever they were- they were gorgeous! These birds were soooo teeny tiny! I had never really paid them much attention in the past. Are these the Seramas you all talk about? They looked like them, but their cards did not say 'serama'- instead it read something like 'old english' something or other. But they had the wings that pointed to the ground and very proud looking chests that stuck out- they looked like they were strutting just standing still. There were probably about 40 of them- so many! I saw only ONE WCB Polish, and she was really pretty. My dad did say she was very nice. I think there were 4 polish total- one was entirely black, they had a buff color and a solid white. No roosters. Oh- and not a single Royal Palm turkey! In fact, hardly any turkeys at all, and I remember two rows being filled with turkeys. That was disappointing.

Someone tell me the deal with the Plymouth Barred Rocks- my dad didn't know much about them to critique them. But we found it interesting that some of them were reversed in color- a black with white barrs and then a white with black barrs. Does that have to do with being a hen vs a rooster? THEN.. we even saw a brown and white- he was nearly so dark as to be almost black, but he was clearly brown instead. All of their tags read with the same breed.

Lots of fun- the kids liked the bunnies the best, and a good portion of them were for sale, too. I saw them from $11 to $140 for a rabbit! My husband use to show his Holland Lops in 4H, so he loves seeing those. I saw quite a few bunnies that needed to be brushed out, and instead they had some mats that looked like they might need to be cut out. The rest of the fair was fun- we rode the train, the ski lift and wore out our feet walking the entire place. We stayed until 7pm! (we got there at 9am)

Sounds like a fun day. I haven't been to a state fair in 30 years. I hate crowds. Some little quirk I developed when I was a police officer. I learned it takes very little for a large group of people to become a crazy mob. So I just avoid places there are lots of people.
Come to think of it I'm very much a hermit.
I'm renting a backhoe today to dig a pond for my Mandarins. I have some more people coming to buy chickens this morning as well. I am certainly thinning out the birds the last couple of days.

On a sad note my Salmon Faverolle hen hatched a chick a week or so ago. It was doing so well. Yesterday I saw it crying and her clucking but the chick wasn't moving. I went out and picked it up and one of the other chickens had pecked a big hole out of one of it's legs. I brought it in and wrapped it cause it was bleeding a lot. But the chick couldn't walk. I almost dread going out there today because I am sure the chick probably died over night. Chickens can be so ruthless.
I should have separated them but the mother was being so protective I thought it had a chance. I have at least 4 Seramas sitting on eggs right now. I think I'll gather up any hatches and separate them. I also have a guinea sitting on a huge pile of eggs. The last group of guineas did pretty good so I think I'll leave them where they are.

Quote:
My dad is the chicken guy, but he is only really familiar with how a few breeds should look. We did spend quite a bit of time in the poultry barn. This year, they had much better looking birds than in years past. I think the last three or four years have been some of the worst. This year was so much better! Although... they did have several birds that had NO business being there. For one, when I was in 4H, you were not allowed to show anything that was missing feathers or had messed up feathers (bent, broken, etc). I saw a bird that was nearly naked on the back of it's neck. I saw a few more that were so feather picked, I felt terrible for them. WTH? I mean, my dad always helped me separate them and keep them in a pen all by themselves so they would not damage their feathers or get pecked. There were about 20 or so buff orpingtons, and I think every single one of them had comb damage- big black spots. One of them didn't look like any kind of damage-- his comb simply looked 'sick' with black speckles. I don't know what was going on with him. This includes the hens, too. The other breeds didnt' have this damage- so maybe that is common for that particular breed??? So odd, and yucky. I think the best looking breeds there were the silver laced wyandots and the little small 'old english' whatever they were- they were gorgeous! These birds were soooo teeny tiny! I had never really paid them much attention in the past. Are these the Seramas you all talk about? They looked like them, but their cards did not say 'serama'- instead it read something like 'old english' something or other. But they had the wings that pointed to the ground and very proud looking chests that stuck out- they looked like they were strutting just standing still. There were probably about 40 of them- so many! I saw only ONE WCB Polish, and she was really pretty. My dad did say she was very nice. I think there were 4 polish total- one was entirely black, they had a buff color and a solid white. No roosters. Oh- and not a single Royal Palm turkey! In fact, hardly any turkeys at all, and I remember two rows being filled with turkeys. That was disappointing.

Someone tell me the deal with the Plymouth Barred Rocks- my dad didn't know much about them to critique them. But we found it interesting that some of them were reversed in color- a black with white barrs and then a white with black barrs. Does that have to do with being a hen vs a rooster? THEN.. we even saw a brown and white- he was nearly so dark as to be almost black, but he was clearly brown instead. All of their tags read with the same breed.

Lots of fun- the kids liked the bunnies the best, and a good portion of them were for sale, too. I saw them from $11 to $140 for a rabbit! My husband use to show his Holland Lops in 4H, so he loves seeing those. I saw quite a few bunnies that needed to be brushed out, and instead they had some mats that looked like they might need to be cut out. The rest of the fair was fun- we rode the train, the ski lift and wore out our feet walking the entire place. We stayed until 7pm! (we got there at 9am)

SInce Silver Laced Wyandottes are one of the breeds I raise it almost temps me to go, but I doubt that I will. Were they LF or bantams?

Too many people for me!!

I don't do big crowds. Never have liked being surrounded by lots of people. I went to the KS State Fair a couple times with a group from work, but didn't get to see many of the livestock because they were mostly cleared out by the time we went. Last time I was there was 9-11, and believe me the LAST place I wanted to be then was any place with a lot of people. My hubby called and said come home, as did someone from work, but my boss and another co-worker wanted to see the fair as long as we'd gone all that way. I was choking back tears all day, wanting to get my people home and me the safety of my home and husband. I didn't mean to turn the topic here, but that's what the State Fair reminds me of now.

I would be the same way. I was in college on 9-11. I was on my way to class and heard the announcements on the radio of the towers. Then once I got in class we heard about the Pentagon. My instructor's sister and her husband worked at the pentagon. Needless to say class was cut short that day. (They weren't injured though, we learned later.)
I really fear that we'll have a repeat tomorrow. I certainly wouldn't want to be at any football games or major events.
Maybe that is another reason I love the peace and quiet of being on the farm.

I'm a bit on the new side, when I read all your post:oops: But by reading I've gained some quality info:) I ran across this ad on BYC that was for some water nipples you can put in a 5 gal. bucket and you hang the bucket up so they can peck it and it gives em a drip of water. Has anyone tried these and are they worth their money?

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
I don't use the water nipples, but i have read over and over on the board how people love them. I saw a good deal on them a while back and nearly bought them. I probably will next spring when I have more time to think about it.
wink.png

I personally haven't tried them but I've read several reviews on them. In general people really like them. The only down side is that they can leak water underneath them so if you have them within a coupe they can be a problem. Of course with chickens there always seems to be a mess

Back
Top Bottom