Consolidated Kansas

This may be a dump question, but does all hay have some amount of mold/mildew spores in it? I have yet to find a bale of hay that doesn't have some amount of dust that comes out of it when I tear it apart. Just curious.

Thanks for the info Karen. I did read where this was good for the ducks as well. I just need something that will hold about 75 pounds of feed a day! I haven't figured out how to pull that one off.
Pikeman I don't think Hay normally molds. Straw molds really easily. Most hay is stored in covered areas so it doesn't rot. Are you sure it is mold or is it pollen?
My schedule just keeps getting busier for the day. Now I have to make a run to town with eggs for the restaurant I wasn't counting on.

This may be a dump question, but does all hay have some amount of mold/mildew spores in it? I have yet to find a bale of hay that doesn't have some amount of dust that comes out of it when I tear it apart. Just curious.
Is it just dust or why do you ask about mold? It is hard to imagine hay without dust. There is so much dust in the country from gravel roads, etc that there is dust on everything. Mold, on the otherhand is not to be expected. It, obviously comes from wet situatiions and is deadly. If you are getting hay from one place and it was put up or stored wrong, then there could be a mold problem. More information would be helpful.

Danz, that peacock sounds amazing! I can't even imagine what it looks like-- you'll have to take a pic when you get him home.

That's GREAT to know, HEChicken. I think I'll move mine to the garage cause it's taking up space in the kitchen. That is great it started to ferment so quickly! I laughed about your question of putting the ACV into the Braggs. I NEVER even considered it. I was saving my left over for the next gallon of ACV. I'll remedy that today. Look how much I learned from you today! That's what is so awesome about this place. I haven't seen the lower calorie issue addressed but then I'm a notorious speed reader with a short attention span. From what I've read, the birds start out consuming lots of the fermented feed and then slow down after several weeks. Mine are still gobbling it like piglets. So we'll see how that goes.
Okay, I may have to do this with my silkies. I won't bother with my layers. But shiny feathers, and a more healthy look--- I like that! But I still think I'll wait until Spring before starting it. I'll listen and learn from you all and then when it warms up, I'll give it a go! ha!
lol.png

Not mold, but lots of dust, pollens, and just kicks up a lot of stuff when you open the flecks. If you are using square bales, each fleck you pull off will have "dust" that come off. I use the round bales and they are rolled with plastic wrap/strings to keep them longer. But even so, if the hay was put up right-- cut, rowed and left to dry and then baled.... then it will stay pretty clean for a year or longer. Round bales shed water, so you might get a bit at the top that has "weathered" but even so, it doesn't mold. My horses will rip off the outer layer and dig into the bales. Anyway, my son is very allergic to hay, so if you are worried about allergies, yes, it's a big concern. My oldest takes two allergy shots a week. His worst allergy is horse dander. We discovered it when he was younger and broke out in hives all over his body and then had trouble breathing. It was quite scary. After doing the testing, they narrowed it down to pollens, grasses, and horse dander. He was allergic to nearly everything they tested him for. So he is on a 5 yr plan for his shots. We are on year 2, but unfortunately, some of his reactions have been so bad, we've had to back off and it's added months to his "time" over the last couple of years. By the time we are done with 5 years, I won't be surprised if he had an added year left.

well, I hunted down someone that could test more birds so I could bring more to the show. I had to drive out to ElDorado to have a vet do them. I'm going to just get NPIP certified next year and forget this whole certificate thing. I should be trying to wash one more bird, but I don't wanna. hehe My youngest threw a fit in the car this morning on the way home and I'm wiped out from all the "fun". The dirty ones got washed on Wednesday, and I think we'll be okay if I brush the rest of them out and fluff and blow them out tomorrow morning. The barn opens at 6:30, sigh. I'm going to go coop in my birds tonight so it's one less thing to hassle with tomorrow morning. We can just get up and drive over. I need to make sure all of my chicken bags are packed and get ready to get them going here in a while. The barn doesn't even open tonight until 4pm, so I'm not in a huge hurry. I'll be sure to take pictures!!! I'll post when we're all done with the show.

Mommahen - I really hope you enjoy those turkey boys, I love mine. They will melt your heart. I am sure he will settle down. Things are peaceful here today and thats a relief. It was wonderful to meet you and your she and dd's they are beautiful girls. I do love all my turkeys I put alot of heart into raising them. Enjoy and dont forget to tell the girls to give them a hug for me.

Sad that I have to retype what I just wrote. I just cant seem to complete a post as its either too big or not compatable with my puter.
Guess there will be no rabbit and chicken as "Mrs Bunny Galore" didnt have her kits which were due a day ago. As to chickens I have people lined up to take them and I am glad, as its so tough to kill a hen that old and a pet that long. Tough is an understatement as one hen is at least 10 years old and was in the first batch I ever got. She seems as healthy as a mule and I tear up just thinking about catching her up and delivering her to my friends from Kenya. The others not so much. They have had a healty life and I would say fun life. Better than passing them on at a swap or auction where they will be passed again and again in some cases.
Well, in other news; the recycle guys came by today. Father and son: take junk metal. From a tried and true home bread horder I have to say I really feel liberated. Fridge, washer, microwave, and several med cabenets. There on there way now to recycle that and then back for more. First the deck then the barn. With the space created and the old hens gone I feel I can actually now get the black coppers I want to order in the spring. I even have space in the barn to house the heffers I want. Hard to liquidate but eaiser to collect!

I went out early and did chores. When out again about 10:30 and noticed blood on the water pan. Then I noticed the turkey feeder had blood wiped on it. The only blood I found was a spot on the top of the head of one of the Toms, but it wasn't bleeding just some blood on his head. that makes me wonder if the Toms may have had a battle. The other Tom always acts shy and if he starts to display the Tom that had blood on his head would come over and display and the shy one would stop displaying. The hen just heads away from them when they start displaying and making that spitting sound.
I've got paper work to do today, so I don't have time to watch them. Sure hope that Tom didn't get into it with a predator...just wish I know for sure what caused the blood.

Hostess bankruptcy topic. As a business owner I know how much we have to pay out for employees, and how much the employees actually get to take home in their paycheck. I wish we could just pay our employees that money, but the government demands otherwise to "protect the employees", workman's comp, liability insurance, unemployment...etc. Big difference between the amount we are out per employee and the amount they get to take home.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Karen. I did read where this was good for the ducks as well. I just need something that will hold about 75 pounds of feed a day! I haven't figured out how to pull that one off.
Pikeman I don't think Hay normally molds. Straw molds really easily. Most hay is stored in covered areas so it doesn't rot. Are you sure it is mold or is it pollen?
My schedule just keeps getting busier for the day. Now I have to make a run to town with eggs for the restaurant I wasn't counting on.
I've been feeding the All Flock fermented feed to my grown ducks and the fermented game bird starter to the younger ducks. They love it too. I don't know how you would manage to ferment that much for your birds -- too much work!!!!!!

well, I hunted down someone that could test more birds so I could bring more to the show. I had to drive out to ElDorado to have a vet do them. I'm going to just get NPIP certified next year and forget this whole certificate thing. I should be trying to wash one more bird, but I don't wanna. hehe My youngest threw a fit in the car this morning on the way home and I'm wiped out from all the "fun". The dirty ones got washed on Wednesday, and I think we'll be okay if I brush the rest of them out and fluff and blow them out tomorrow morning. The barn opens at 6:30, sigh. I'm going to go coop in my birds tonight so it's one less thing to hassle with tomorrow morning. We can just get up and drive over. I need to make sure all of my chicken bags are packed and get ready to get them going here in a while. The barn doesn't even open tonight until 4pm, so I'm not in a huge hurry. I'll be sure to take pictures!!! I'll post when we're all done with the show.
Have fun and the best of luck to you! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Sad that I have to retype what I just wrote. I just cant seem to complete a post as its either too big or not compatable with my puter.
Guess there will be no rabbit and chicken as "Mrs Bunny Galore" didnt have her kits which were due a day ago. As to chickens I have people lined up to take them and I am glad, as its so tough to kill a hen that old and a pet that long. Tough is an understatement as one hen is at least 10 years old and was in the first batch I ever got. She seems as healthy as a mule and I tear up just thinking about catching her up and delivering her to my friends from Kenya. The others not so much. They have had a healty life and I would say fun life. Better than passing them on at a swap or auction where they will be passed again and again in some cases.
Well, in other news; the recycle guys came by today. Father and son: take junk metal. From a tried and true home bread horder I have to say I really feel liberated. Fridge, washer, microwave, and several med cabenets. There on there way now to recycle that and then back for more. First the deck then the barn. With the space created and the old hens gone I feel I can actually now get the black coppers I want to order in the spring. I even have space in the barn to house the heffers I want. Hard to liquidate but eaiser to collect!
It is very hard to rehome birds. My sympathies are with you but enjoy the extra space from the recycle guys' visit.

I went out early and did chores. When out again about 10:30 and noticed blood on the water pan. Then I noticed the turkey feeder had blood wiped on it. The only blood I found was a spot on the top of the head of one of the Toms, but it wasn't bleeding just some blood on his head. that makes me wonder if the Toms may have had a battle. The other Tom always acts shy and if he starts to display the Tom that had blood on his head would come over and display and the shy one would stop displaying. The hen just heads away from them when they start displaying and making that spitting sound.
I've got paper work to do today, so I don't have time to watch them. Sure hope that Tom didn't get into it with a predator...just wish I know for sure what caused the blood.
Hope everything works out with your Toms. So nervewracking when you're not sure what's happening.

Okay, I may have to do this with my silkies.  I won't bother with my layers.  But shiny feathers, and a more healthy look--- I like that!  But I still think I'll wait until Spring before starting it.  I'll listen and learn from you all and then when it warms up, I'll give it a go!  ha!:lol:

I seem to recall that there are a number of people on that thread that take a break from the FF during the winter months.

Back
Top Bottom