Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
$5 good chocolate cookies' tin from Dollar General with a strand of 50 christmas lites with plastic one gallon water placed on top is working great. I put a 100 lite strand in the cookie can and put my 3 gallon plastic water on top-fantastic. both cookie can units are on top of 2 concrete blocks. I did put the cookie cans in a metal watering pan $3.90 at Orschlens. Girls and guys are happy and I'm sleeping nites. An easy project, thanks again all!
lol.png

Quote:
These are perfect for plastic waterers and exactly what I use them for. If you only get just below freezing, a 25 watt bulb works well to keep it open. If you get into single digits, 40 watt is better. I try not to use the 40 watt unless I have too as the water does tend to get too warm (and slimey) and chickens prefer cool water.
Remember the idea is just to keep the flow of water for the birds. You don't want to overheat it.

edited because I'm being stupid today!
Well...forget what I just asked...since it was right ABOVE my post!
Geeze...I need to go to sleep already!
Is anyone using this cookie tin water heater with the plastic waterers or just the metal ones? I need to do something about this...tired of taking warm water outside already and I'm going out of town and don't want my friend to have to worry either.

Last edited:
Quote:
Where do you get the electrical cord with the light in it and how do you attach it to the side of the cookie tin?

Go to Home Depot, Lowe's or your locald friendly hardware store. Get a ceramic bulb holder, a threaded nipple and a lamp cord. If you are concerned about pecking of the cord, go to an auto supply place (AutoZone etc) and get a wire loom to cover the cord. I plug mine into a thermocube that come on when it is cold and shuts off a a set temperature. You can get them in three cold temp ranges. See the pictures on this thread to see how to put the heater together. Good luck.

can someone please tell me the size of the container? ive been all over the place trying to find a container that looks big enough. But all i can find are the medium sized ones. so if someone could please measure there containers. I have a metal 3 gallon waterer.
Thanks you very much, im in wisconsin and there was a serious storm that dropped 20 inches on us and after it passes it brought cold weather, its suppose to be -20 degrees with the wind chill.

Quote:
If the container you are asking about is the large cookie tin it is 10" across and 3 1/2" tall. I would suggest you go to a savation arm store or a good will. You can find them there for less than a dollar. I just went & picked up 6 of them and paid .50 .25 & .12 they were on the half price talbe.

Just for reference the med is 8" across & 3" tall, I have made one or two from the med. size and it worked just fine. I will add that I didn't use a standard round bulb, see the link below for what I used. I was able to get these at the dollar tree, two bulbs for 1.00

http://www.1000bulbs.com/25W-Clear-Bent-Tip-Candelabra-Base-Chandelier-Light-Bulbs/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom