Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
I also use a standard sized socket (ceramic) with a 40w light bulb in it and plastic 1 gallon waterers. It all works well unless it gets down to below zero, then it is not enough, but thats not a daily thing.
I have them in all my pens and love them. I also have them all plugged into Therocubes so that they turn on at 35°F....so they do not run all day long.
big_smile.png

HMMMM, sitting here thinking about keeping peeps warm, and wondering if something like this with a small bulb [15-20 watt], placed under-say-a 12"ceramic tile would work in a corner of the brooder [away from the light source]?? I am fondly remembering how nice the warm tile floors in my friend's house feel on my bare feet........................

Whatayathink????
hugs.gif

Alright, so I've made the cookie tin heater for the waterer and I must admit if I can do it anybody can. I just have one concern....the extension cord I bought is for outside, but the lamp kit is for an indoor lamp, I bought electrical tape to cover a portion of the lamp cord where it enters the cookie tin but I'm wondering if I should be concerned with it's safety?!?

Quote:
I think it is safer to use a ceramic socket, depending on the wattage of the bulb used. As far as the cord goes, it is difficult to get a heavu duty cord through the threaded nipple as it is designed for a lamp cord. If you think the hens will peck at the cord, you can go to an auto parts store and get apiece of wire loom to cover it. Wire loom is a corrugated plastic that bundles wire together under the hood of your car.

My wife just told me that we have a tin and an old lamp going to goodwill, well I just took the lamp apart took a step drill bit drill a hole in the tin and inserted the lamp socket into tin. I used the lamp because everything is already put together with switching. I used the lamp mast as protection for the cord as it leaves the tin to the side of the coop, I haven't put in coop yet I may have some exposed but as was touched earler I can use a piece of PVC or some gal pipe leftovers for protection. I put a cord cap on the end to plug in. All said and done took me about 5 min. and it heats pretty well. I have a 40 watt clear bulb in it now but am thinking of plugging it into either a timer or making a line voltage thermostat controlling a recepticle.

Steve

Quote:
If you can plug it into a GFI outlet you will eliminate most of your safety concerns. I just made one the other day for the retirement coop and the next step will be using a thermocube to control when it operates.
smile.png

I went to our local Restore and found some ceramic bulb bases, used grounded cord to the GFI outlet in the coop. It took a while to eat all the cookies but the kids pitched in and helped, I was worried about the metal tin getting wet and making some fried chicken so I put it on some gravel and surrounded the unit with bricks to hold up the waterer and keep in some heat. In the chicken run a 60 wat bulb worked untill it got below 20deg I moved it up to a 100wt and now even though it gets to 10deg we have no ice. Three gal plastic waterer stays cold but no ice and no fried chicken. Everything stays outside and the ducks cant wreck the coop with the water, Noriko is happy and that means the whole house is happy. Thanks for all the info guys, Stay warm, John.

I made two of these about two weeks ago after I got tired of making trips with a gallon water jug every morning. Couple of things I did when making these to keep them on the safe side.

1. I ran the lamp cord through a piece of PVC Conduit to keep the chickens from getting curious about the cord.

2. I fed the cord through a rubber stopper at the cookie tin to keep a tight seal and prevent condensation and any overflow from trickling into the cookie tin.

3. I placed the tin on top of a cinder block and drilled a hole in the tin and slightly into the cinder block, I then anchored it with a tap-con screw to keep it from getting knocked over. (My dog likes to help collect eggs)

4. I use a 40w bulb in the coop and a 60w bulb outside in the covered run. The one in the coop has yet to freeze - outside the coop is frozen now, 10 degrees with windchill below zero will do that. (The less water in the waterer the less likely to freeze)

I bought everything from Wal-Mart and it was $23 dollars including 3 packs of bulbs 25w, 40w and 60w so that I can use the least amount possible. The 40w in the coop does not raise the temperature in the coop at all, it does add moisture in the air as I can see it collected on the windows in the morning. I was going to up the coop one to 60w with the decreasing temps but the hens seem to be fine and have not decreased egg production at all. This is a great idea and I recommend it over the $40 option of buying one. Next is the automated door project.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom