Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
That is very interesting that yours prefer warmer water! Maybe mine just like when it's FRESH water! I have all the stuff to make a nipple waterer but it got lost in projects this year
wink.png
Maybe next year I will get to it...but it wont work here in winter anyhow I fear. T

I think the temp they prefer is very dependent on the outside temp. The colder it gets the warmer they like the water.
I think when they are trying to keep warm the colder water is harder to drink. It is also less energy to keep warm and more available to produce eggs.

I have read reports that say that it can be too warm though. 80 and over and they start to drink less.

Last edited:
I'm happy to report that our cookie tin heater with a 40w bulb is keeping our galvinized waterer (1 gal?) ice free in single digit coop temps over the last day. So far so good. I did go out a week or so ago and found that the bulb had blown out and there was a little ice. Replaced the bulb and we're good to go. A small amount of light leaks out from the tin through the hole for the electrical wire. It's actually just barely enough that I can see if the heater is on from inside the house at night (the waterer is right by a window in the coop and the coop is pretty close to the house). Just a little extra peace of mind as we're heading into some cold weather.

jmagill, interesting observations! I guess it makes sense that if you were cold, you'd want water that's a little warmer, not colder...

Great thread, some good ideas, TYVM
As i dont have power outside, is it possible to run the heater off a car battery?

Zarni
cool.png
cool.png

Just Google it...there are a bunch that sell them on line. The cheapest I have found is about $15. We dont have them around here either...at least not when I shop! I was thinking about ordering some too--sounds like a great way to save power! Terri O

Back
Top Bottom