Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
I use the 1-qt plastic "mason jar" style waterer. There's no power in the coop, so I'd be putting this outside. Would it still work? What size would you recommend for such a small waterer (I only have 4 hens). Thanks

I have 3 hens and use a 1 gallon plastic waterer.
LG%20JG.jpg
We put 2 old fuzzy hats over the dome, helps keep it warmer...

Quote:
Boy, I don't know if that would work or not. I know here in Kansas it wouldn't. The wind blows so much it would suck the heat right out of it, the water would freeze for sure.

I don't know how cold it gets there, or if the little waterer would have any protection or not. Is there a way you could run an extension cord into your coop? I have a temporary extension cord running into mine until we get the wiring completed.

Quote:
Boy, I don't know if that would work or not. I know here in Kansas it wouldn't. The wind blows so much it would suck the heat right out of it, the water would freeze for sure.

I don't know how cold it gets there, or if the little waterer would have any protection or not. Is there a way you could run an extension cord into your coop? I have a temporary extension cord running into mine until we get the wiring completed.

We do get quite a bid of wind here, right now its around 10F, high today was about 28F. I could put it in the corner by the outside plug. I don't like the idea of running an extension cord all the way to the coop (its about 15-20' from the outside plug), hubby is very concerned about electric fires.

This is what I have in the coop right now. So far it has never froze up. That I've seen, the water has gone to the mid 40's on the thermometer I've got in it. Popcorn tin from Dollar General, 2 watering cups screwed into bottom of old 5 gallon bucket (could have used 3), 40W appliance bulb mounted in a ceramic base in the bottom and a water heater thermostat mounted inside on the lower side set at the 125 mark, so it cycles on and off. Made a nice foot warmer when I was testing it.

12939_chickspips_051.jpg
12939_chickspips_052.jpg

I had some meaties in an open tractor through Dec that I had a 5 Gallon bucket sitting on top to feed 2 watering cups tubed into the tractor. I had the bucket sitting on a base from a regular heated waterer. The lines would freeze up over night and there would be a slight layer of ice in the top of the bucket. Nothing froze up during the day. Draining what was left at night via the cups, or if forgotten, filling the bucket with hot water in the AM would start it all back up.

If I didn't already have a heated waterer for the outside, I would probably make another like the top pics though I might leave out the thermostat or set it higher and line the sides of the can with reflective insulation.

Averytds-Thanks for the picture. Yours looks like a good set up, and I like the bucket with the drink cups attached. The only thing I would change is I would set the tin on a short cement block or something, so that the part that gets warm (the tin) doesn't come in direct contact with the hay, straw or shavings, just for safety's sake.

It's sitting on a decorative metal garden tile just in case, you just can't see it anymore. Handle is attached to sidewall to keep from being tipped over. I tested it for a week inside first and had hoped the sides would prove a nice snuggle point for those that wanted it. With the ceramic outlet mounted to the bottom of the tin, the bottom doesn't really change temp and the sides barely get warm before the thermostat kicks it off. Being such a small bulb (40W appliance bulb) in such a large tin (popcorn vs cookie) and mounted like a lamp, the heat goes up just like any table lamp with a shade. So no worry there but sadly not much of a snuggle point.

I started the thermostat at the lowest point...99 degrees if I remember correctly, but upped it to the 125 after a couple of days while using the top as a foot warmer. A smaller waterer could maybe get by with the 99. The top of the tin gets a bit warm, but even at the 125 degree mark, I could keep my feet on it. About the time I'd think about taking them off, the thermostat would turn it off.

I took two metal water pans and put them together instead of using a cookie tin. Then I put that inside an old tire. It works great! the wind can't tip it, and the chickens don't poo in it. The tire provides a little insulation to help the heater be more efficient.

Back
Top Bottom