Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
This is our 2nd winter and works great! My hubby's in the elctrica; biz and it's very safe. We like to build things oursleves, and couldn't find anything last winter, except heated water bowls for dogs (no cover to keep it clean). I saw something lats week at a feed place for $50., and talk about overpriced, made in china crud....

Quote:
OK i have another question in addition to the one above. I bought a weatherproof socket but it just has the rubber socket w/ 2 wires coming out of it. So I can't figure out how to attach it to the side of the tin. So do I need to get a different socket? Does it need to be weatherproof? Should it be porcelain or is plastic OK?

My husband says, you need a lamp socket, a short peice of 3/8" all thread, 2 3/8" nuts, and a short peice of lamp cord, all available in the lamp parts section of home depot, etc. Does not need to be weather proof. Also 2 3/8" washers. Put a washer and a nut on either side of the tin, then run the cord thru the all thread. Hope that helps...

OK I guess I got the wrong socket because there's nowhere to put 3/8" nipple or all thread or whatever on it. But the others were indoor type so I didn't know if it was ok to use those. Or at least they looked like indoor type. I'll return the rubber ones and get one with a 3/8" threaded hole on it. I have some cords that I've salvaged off of an old pool pump and an old heated dog bowl that I'm going to use for the cords. I'll have to make sure it'll go through the 3/8" pipe.

Quote:
OK i have another question in addition to the one above. I bought a weatherproof socket but it just has the rubber socket w/ 2 wires coming out of it. So I can't figure out how to attach it to the side of the tin. So do I need to get a different socket? Does it need to be weatherproof? Should it be porcelain or is plastic OK?

See Post #278 on this thread for parts list and assembly instructions.
big_smile.png

Quote:

See Post #278 on this thread for parts list and assembly instructions.
big_smile.png

thanks-I'll check walmart tonight. I've never seen anything beyond extension cords but maybe I just haven't been looking hard. We did decide to just use a heated dog bowl for the chickens (long story) but I'm still making a cookie tin heater for the dog and possibly the rabbits.

Get a 50 gal Rubbermaid water trough, put a submersible water heater in it and some large cinderblocks inside (openings going sideways) so the chickens can walk on the solid side of them and drink.

Quote:
A submersible aquarium heater would do this, as long as the chickens didn't peck the cord. There are some stainless steel ones that are UL listed, discontinued, by PennPlax. I've got a couple of 110 watt in stock. PM me if you are interested in purchasing.

The glass ones in with cinderblocks, I would worry about.

Back
Top Bottom