Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
I have two water pans screwed together with caulking between. I used a ceramic bulb socket and a heavy-duty computer power cord. I put the heater down inside an old tire, then set my 5 gallon plastic waterer on the top. The chickens don't tip the water over, and it stays cleaner. It worked great last year inside the coop. Only problem I ever had was that the seal on the jug lid would freeze, I had to take a bucket of hot water with me every day to up-end the thing in to thaw off the lid.
hmm.png

When I opened it up today to replace the bulb, I couldn't read the bulb size. DH gave me a bulb, which I put in without looking at the wattage. ****!!!*** After I had it all back together and caulked, he tells me it was a 100w bulb. I had to take it all back apart, with all that messy caulk everywhere. We couldn't find a 40w bulb, so now it has a 25w bulb in it. I hope that will be big enough.

I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND ON THIS - GO DOWN A FEW MORE MESSAGES...

Well I got some cookie tins at Goodwill today, but the more I think about the aquarium heater count at my house, the more I think I will use their existing waterer with an aquarium heater dropped in. I know I have a 75 watt, might have a 50 watt. Used to be able to get 25's but I think they are gone the way of the dinosaurs.

My 5 gallon chicken water bucket has a spout mounted in the lid, so I don't have to pry the lid open at all, and I could drop a submersible heater in. If it is cold enough, I don't think I have to worry about the aquarium heater melting the bucket. Has anyone tried this?

(the chickens drink from the big bowl around the bucket. I have a 1/4 inch hole drilled at the bottom edge of the bucket. Keeps them out of the waterer.)

Or I could do the heated can with one of my quart jar waterers sitting on top of it.

Gypsi
hmm.png

Last edited:
would a CFL work? or does that not heat up enough?

As for installation, I would just feed the wire through a small hole and have the bulb assembly inside the tin. Caulk up the hole and it's weatherproofed cheaply.

Last edited:
Quote:
No, CFL's do not give off enough heat. A 40W is PLENTY, I would not use anything higher. I used silicone caulk around the hole and the 4 I own and use all winter are now 4 years old and going strong.

Well actually, I was at Petsmart today and saw a 10W mini aquarium heater. That uses less electricity so maybe that's a more reliable heater. That way I don't have to find a lamp assembly and cookie tin

Quote:
Do you mean the cookie tin heaters? If so, why do you think they look dangerous?

To me the fishtank heaters seem less safe. If the water level goes down, won't they break or something?

Back
Top Bottom