Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
Glass aquarium heaters will break if there isn't enough water to cover them and dissipate the heat in an even way. In freezing temps in a hen house it would shatter as soon as the water level dipped, but it would still be plugged in, yes? So then we go to electrocution hazard plus glass shards in the water. There was a brand of metal aquarium heaters, the only ones ever to be UL listed, but those were higher wattage and have been discontinued.

Also, if a bird should peck on the cord and it comes in contact with water (which it is submerged in for submersible heaters) there is an electrocution risk. Which is why, although I probably have 20 aquarium heaters, last winter I didn't try one. They are safe enough in aquariums, but intended for larger volumes of water than my chicken waterer, and unless I figure a way to maintain a higher level of water in my 5 gallon chicken waterer, I will probably build a tin can water warmer.

and yes, I'll have to go find a light kit somewhere. Cookie tins I now have.

Last edited:
Hubby made these cookie tin water heaters.. I am sooo excited to try them out, and not have to deal with frozen waterers when I go out in the morning..
Thank you sooo much for sharing and saving us a bundle of money..

Last edited:
I use aquarium heaters. Third year now same heaters. They do not crack, shatter or explode. The water has run out. They have been frozen in the water ( when I forgot to plug them back in). They have spent the summer in the chicken stuff bin with all the other odds and ends tossed on top of them.

They work great.

The cookie tin is a great idea
smile.png

I just ordered a little hot pad heater to wrap around my bottle.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I8YPQ4/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I have only 3 hens and use an old plastic apple sauce jar with a nipple in the lid. I am hoping that I can wrap this around my bottle using a rubber band and it will be enough.

Anyone have experience with something like this?
My coop is only 4'x4' so I don't have much extra floor space to put a big old waterer in.

Are you north or south of the mason dixon (or how often will your water be taking a chance of freezing?)

Not that I've tried it, but it seems to me that the heat off the heating pad is going to go in toward your water bottle and out toward the coop at the same time.

Perhaps wiser heads will appear soon!
smile.png

Quote:
I am in Vermont, so we will have lots of cold days and nights Jan - Mar.
I am trying not to heat the coop too much, as most of the northern farmers have suggested. I thought the small bottle would be just enough to keep it from freezing!

Back
Top Bottom