Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
Mom's chicken's water is icing up and needs a solution. Did a google search and ended up here. haha Read all 41 pages.

Well, no power in the boondocking region. Do have off-grid 12V battery power though. Plan on doing the 1156 automotive 22W bulb(s) in a tin with the thermo-cube. From what I gather, the thermo-cube isn't voltage regulated to control the power on/off activation, so it should work with 12VDC too.

Thanks to the guy talking about the automotive power option.

For what it's worth, those mini beverage warmers are so cheaply made, I once had one and it actually caught fire. Melted the plastic at first and then ignited with parks too. Ended up, the switch went bad after a year.

Another solution I've thought of is to use the aluminum "disposable" cookware. You'd have to clamp/glue/screw the edges (glue wouldn't be reusable when the bulb burned out so have to figure out a bolting method).

I was going thru my old pics and found these and thought others may find them useful. They are small and large size cookie tins. The small ones (approx 6 inches round) work well for 1 gallon plastic waterers. The Larger one works well for the wider mouth 1 gallon waterers and 2-3 gallon waterers. I use a 25 or 40 watt bulb, depending on temps. Typically 25 watt is sufficient.

100_3818.jpg

Jody

I would replace your two prong electric plug with a 3 prong and then bolt the ground to your cookie tin. Then make sure it's plugged into a GFI receipt.

Water and electric don't mix.

Just built one myself and though I am going to have to adjust my timer on it to keep ice free all night i am thrilled that I could get it to work for very little money!! Thanks all for getting this here for me and others!!

OK, got the 1157 automotive grade bulbs that are 27W each. 20 of them. haha

Now obtained 4 round cookie tins. These were only 36 cents each at walmart. Bought all from the shelf. These are pumpkin smiley from Oct 31.

Next up, the socket 1157 to find and some GXL grade wire.

So far, the cost is $1.20 for the bulbs and $1.44 for the tins. $2.64 total.

When the other parts are obtained and work started, I'll get a posting with pix. :)

OK, got the 1157 automotive grade bulbs that are 27W each. 20 of them. haha

Now obtained 4 round cookie tins. These were only 36 cents each at walmart. Bought all from the shelf. These are pumpkin smiley from Oct 31.

Next up, the socket 1157 to find and some GXL grade wire.

So far, the cost is $1.20 for the bulbs and $1.44 for the tins. $2.64 total.

When the other parts are obtained and work started, I'll get a posting with pix. :)

Went to the auto parts store. Doorman sells a few 1157 automotive plug sockets. Got the one with the foam seal. Cost was $4.49. Be careful, many of this type can run up to $15 depending on the auto maker name. Just get one that has the foam seal and can twist into a 1-inch cut hole in your tin container.

So, got to making the platform, the 1-inch hole in the tin container and powered up for 5-mins. Nice heat. Dad did the tin hole cutting with the 1-inch paddle drill bit plus a single tiny knotch to allow one of the twist locks to snap in the hole. I just took the photos. :) I did cut several pieces of wood to box it all in.

Not sure if those "thermal-cubes" work with 12VDC. It might. A power receptacle is just that, transfers power to a connector. The thermal switch in the receptacle should still function regardless of the voltage. On another forum, some have highly speculated that the thermal switch in the cube is actually nitinol-wire (memory-wire). If it is, don't place the thermal-cube too close to the ground or near anything magnetic. It will mess up the range the thermal-cube operates in.

This past week, the water had turned to ice at night, but melts before 8am. As the days grow shorter, the ice may not go away, so this project is very important to us.

Back
Top Bottom