Coop Brooding vs Indoor

It depends. I have 4 chicks and we brood indoors and with this size flock i would NEVER do it any other way. My family and children have adored having them close and witnessing the many daily changes that happen so fast...and the personality differences are amazing. We simply would not have spent as much time outdoors when them with the weather we have had. This is our first time with chicks, and they are our pets. People speak to their experiences, but it can be misleading to assume that all positive results were SOLEY based on choices made. Mine have had a heat lamp, and are in no way dependant on it. At 18 days old they are now without it and dping great. And in a week they will move outdoors. They are ridiculously tame (and i mean ridiculous lol), and we will miss them once theyre out and will certainly spend as much time out there as weather allows. Do what suits you and your intention for having them. They will not suffer either way, and will all adjust outdoors no matter what you choose and when. There are no adult chicken support groups necessary for unfortunate chicks who spent the first 3-4 weeks indoors;)...they'll be fine lol

...oh...and with a small flock like mine there is no dust. No odor. (I keep an impeccable house and would not be ok with them otherwise). Im sure it is different with larger flocks, in which case your choice of indoor location would differ. Ours are smack dap in the hub of our daily living area and we love it:)

Last edited:
LoL.. sign me up for the indoor brooding support group. I brood indoors and I use the Brinsea Ecoglow 20 Chick radiant heat brooder. outside air should be a bit warmer like indoors with this brooder :)

I'm keeping my turkeys outside in a 4x4x4 box with heat lamp and it snowed last night when I checked them at 7am they were spaced out 6 inches apart and sleeping it was 19 degrees outside. When they heard me they ran past their food and water to beg for more nothing makes them hungry like a visit.

@azygous @Blooie

Well, it's been awhile, but my big day is about to arrive! I am expecting 16 fluffy bundles in the morning. I've spent the last 3 months coop building - well, actually about the last three weeks of it because we went through monsoon season here in Central KY. It literally rained every day in May.. Today was spent building out one nursery/brooder inside the coop and constructing my Mama Heating Pad Cave. I have another, slightly smaller kennel I am planning on outfitting this weekend because it looks like this one is going to be too crowded. Anyway, I need advice about the heating pad cave~ Blooie, I made it per your great article! It has 3 heat settings- low, medium and high. They had no info about heat ranges for each setting (Sunbeams, regular size) Which setting should I use for the babies? We're averaging day temps of 75-80 and night in the low 60s.

Last edited:
"If you're tempted to mark your chicks in some way, it's important that you don't artificially create “differences” that will draw attention and become a focus of obsession. Especially refrain from using anything red to identify any of the chicks. Keep chicks as uniform in appearance as possible."

@azygous I had planned on using small pieces of blue drinking straws, numbered, just to help keep track of my babies. Thoughts?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior

First thing I'd do is see if I could smoosh (MHP technical term
wink.png
) that arch down some. It looks pretty high in the center. For the first few week or so they want that heat right at their backs. You aren't trying to heat the space they are in, you are just trying to warm them directly.

With your temps and the pad closer to them I think you could start on medium and then watch them for a bit. If they won't go in at all (once they have been shown that under there is where the warmth is) it might be too warm. If they huddle close together and cheep loudly, they might not be warm enough. Don't worry if they spend a little time on top - they all do that. Ideally what you want is for them to go under and sleep quietly all night long, and run in and out all day long.

Good luck!!

Thank you so much!!!! I was thinking the same about the height of the frame when compared with the one in your article, so I will definitely adjust it. They might sleep all night long, but I won't! LOL I am a nervous wreck! I wish I had built the coop large enough for a hammock, but I'm still considering a sleeping bag for the first few nights!

Thank you so much!!!! I was thinking the same about the height of the frame when compared with the one in your article, so I will definitely adjust it. They might sleep all night long, but I won't! LOL I am a nervous wreck! I wish I had built the coop large enough for a hammock, but I'm still considering a sleeping bag for the first few nights!
I promise, that passes.........usually about the time they lay their first eggs!
lau.gif

@Blooie @lazy gardener @azygous @shawn54 @realsis and everyone I know I missed (sorry!)

Babies arrived at 6am yesterday morning. All happy (ish) and seemingly healthy. As of "tuck in" time tonight, apprx 9:15pm EST, everyone is doing well. Little sillies still haven't seemed to figure out the broody cave on their own- only seem to remember it when I put them in it. I did make it much smaller and low to the ground, Blooie. And they were more receptive to it but still don't much enter on their own Maybe just bird brains, I guess. Last night and tonight I went out at dark to find them all crammed in a corner together. Put them under heating pad mamma and all stayed under. Our nights are pretty warm right now (60-65) Maybe it's more security than that they might be cold? They were all fine and feisty this morning when I went out around 9am, so I am not too worried, just kind of curious about the behavior.

and OMG I AM IN LOVE!?! Two of the 17 have totally stolen me over! "Nugget" is Speckled Sussex-seems to be the smallest of the four SS- and the only way other than her fearlessness I can tell her from the others is by her eye markings. And my 'mystery bonus chick' from McMurray, who I am pretty certain is a Barred Rock - is a mess! I am reminded of the Looney Tunes Roadrunner watching him/her. I am praying that Rocket is a pullet and not a roo....but I might just have to risk the urban neighbor's complaints if Rocket is a roo.

Back
Top Bottom