Coop Build for my daughter

Zappa5

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
My daughter begged me to get pet chickens this past spring so we now have 4 silkie bantams. After realizing that the prefab coop I bought is way too small I decided to build one with enough space to add some egg layers next year. I must say I didnt think the chickens would grow on me as much as they have. I hope to get the coop done before winter, and in the spring I will add covered run.

The coop is a combination shed/coop and is 8 x 12. The shed portion is 4x8 and the coop 8x8. I have two 24 x 30 inch windows in the long sides and one 36 x 24 window in the shed portion. I am using Sketchup 2017 (the free version) to plan things out and it has been a huge help in catching mistakes and thinking about how things will go together. Here is a rough vision of what I am trying to build.
Coop.png

Coop2.png

My yard is on a slope so I leveled it out with concrete blocks. Making a gravel pad was way out of my price range. So far I only have the floor done, but it is level and was a huge step for my confidence! This week I will be working on assembling the trusses.
PXL_20220910_190420576.jpg
After many hours of digging and adjusting the blocks to get the basic frame level, I added 4x4 skids. Then I enlisted the help of Grama(70), Son (12), Daughter (15) to flip the floor over and set the skids on the blocks. It was quite heavy, but we managed to do it. After that I installed the rest of the joists and then the pressured treated 3/4 inch plywood for the floor.
PXL_20220917_175552354.jpg

PXL_20220917_194725129.jpg

PXL_20220917_194740789.jpg

I did have a helper that kept showing up too!

PXL_20220910_164219847.jpg

This is my first time trying to build anything substantial so I am learning as I go. These forums have been a tremendous help!

Wonderful wide eaves!!

I'm sure you will like the shed entry space too! You might consider raising the door between the two spaces and under the pop door. That would keep the bedding from spilling out (as much, a little will still get kicked out by you or the chickens.)

Have you decided what kind of door to use between the two spaces? I used a sliding door so I didn't lose as much floor space. It doesn't need a track, it just slides on the 2x4 that makes up the short wall under it.

I was planning on building a pretty basic door with chicken wire and 1x wood, but I really like the sound of your sliding door. Do you have pictures of yours that I could see? ...
Sure
  • The frame under the door.
  • The beam the builder put in from side to side across the top of the walls. We added a strip of metal as a wear plate. And a 1x4 for the door to slide between it and the beam. The unpainted upright stud is there for the screen door to stop against and to attach the fence I used for the wall between the coop side and the storage side.
  • The screen door we bought at a salvage place. Set in place but without the wall in place yet.
  • The bottom of the door is held on top of the short wall with strips of wood on each side of the space for the door to slide.
  • A couple of pictures of the whole thing because I don't have a single pictures that shows it very well.
The door lifts up so it can be tilted out over the track at the bottom. So it comes out easily.

Attachments

• DEBB5F97-0959-413E-A50B-979FB11EFF00.jpeg
    DEBB5F97-0959-413E-A50B-979FB11EFF00.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 701E224C-220C-44AA-A7E9-75456AB969CA.jpeg
    701E224C-220C-44AA-A7E9-75456AB969CA.jpeg
    635.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 87ED1A74-ED8C-4E51-AC61-3ABE5904D33A.jpeg
    87ED1A74-ED8C-4E51-AC61-3ABE5904D33A.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 0D8C2220-2CD7-407B-BE3A-46483AE2D49B.jpeg
    0D8C2220-2CD7-407B-BE3A-46483AE2D49B.jpeg
    758 KB · Views: 8
  • 8ACE829F-0BCF-44C0-B49F-577EDB826CA8.jpeg
    8ACE829F-0BCF-44C0-B49F-577EDB826CA8.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 1EE8B50B-28B5-4D81-8101-09BEB9894817.jpeg
    1EE8B50B-28B5-4D81-8101-09BEB9894817.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 9
  • B4F55DDD-CA17-4DF9-95D2-4CBA7C897465.jpeg
    B4F55DDD-CA17-4DF9-95D2-4CBA7C897465.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 8
I made some progress this weekend. On Friday I built the trusses by making a template on the floor. I forgot to take a picture of that part but here is Albert inspecting my work when I was done.
PXL_20220923_185101275.jpg

Saturday was a wall building day. My daughter helped for a good portion of the day which made things so much easier. We finished the two 12 foot walls, but I am waiting until all are built before standing them up and attaching them to the floor. I had no idea how brutal a framing nailer is on the wrists!

PXL_20220924_201350974.jpg
PXL_20220924_201313274.jpg

The supplier where you get your metal roof should be able to steer you to the correct ridge vent for the type you're purchasing.
I was just going to get the metal roof panels at Home Depot. Is that a bad idea?

Welcome to BYC and the wonderful world of chickens.

You're going to need some top-level ventilation for year-round airflow in addition to the windows. Here's my article on coop ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/
Thank you for posting this. I have seen it before as I was researching but it is a fabulous explanation on what the chickens need. For 24/7/365 ventilation I have open soffits with hardware cloth, a 4 inch wide gap at the ridge, and I'll be putting vents on the gable end triangles. I am very confused on what I need for the ridge cap with my metal roof panels though, I am still trying to figure that out.

Technically the windows should be mounted to the framing and then you run your siding up to it. Along with prior application of Tyvec and flashing.

However, you should keep in mind what you're building. Its not for humans and there's no building inspector coming around.

I'm in the middle of a coop build myself using T-111 siding and I'll be installing my windows after the fact. Trim and silicone will keep it plenty dry. I've done it many times before.

If you want to build a "to code" structure meant for people than I can guide you in that direction, but its absolutely not necessary.
I don't need to follow code at all, I am just a single mom with no construction experience trying to build this coop for my daughter's chickens. Everything I have learned so far has been from this forum and YouTube. I choose these windows because I like the look of them and I plan to use hardware cloth on the inside for predators. If you could share how you are installing your windows with the T-111 siding that would be great! I am assuming I can just attach them to the studs with some silicone caulk and nails, put the siding in the groove, and top it off with trim boards? My biggest concern is water seeping in and rotting the walls but I really have no idea what I am doing.

Thanks!

I agree that for a person who claims no building experience you're doing a great job.
I'm a software engineer that spends my days at a computer. I had an addition added on to my house a few years ago as a small apartment for my mother. I watched my contractor very closely and asked so many questions he was probably sick of me, but it did give me a basic understanding of how a building goes together. Taking that head knowledge and adding it to all I have read here on various coop build threads, plus YouTube videos, has helped me build what you see in this thread. I don't like to think about the entire project, but instead each small step, otherwise it is overwhelming! That said, I am already thinking about building a little garden shed for my Mom's garden tools when the coop is done!

Thank you for posting this. I have seen it before as I was researching but it is a fabulous explanation on what the chickens need. For 24/7/365 ventilation I have open soffits with hardware cloth, a 4 inch wide gap at the ridge, and I'll be putting vents on the gable end triangles. I am very confused on what I need for the ridge cap with my metal roof panels though, I am still trying to figure that out.

:) I'm glad it was helpful to you.

The supplier where you get your metal roof should be able to steer you to the correct ridge vent for the type you're purchasing.

Wonderful wide eaves!!

I'm sure you will like the shed entry space too! You might consider raising the door between the two spaces and under the pop door. That would keep the bedding from spilling out (as much, a little will still get kicked out by you or the chickens.)

Have you decided what kind of door to use between the two spaces? I used a sliding door so I didn't lose as much floor space. It doesn't need a track, it just slides on the 2x4 that makes up the short wall under it.
I was planning on building a pretty basic door with chicken wire and 1x wood, but I really like the sound of your sliding door. Do you have pictures of yours that I could see? And yes, I plan to have the pop door and interior door raised up about 12 inches, I just don't have that in the SketchUp model yet. The pop door will be on the short side of the building opposite the shed and will lead to a 10x15ish enclosed run in the spring. On the back long wall, there is a cleanout door under the window. I still need to figure out some temporary run for the winter that is enclosed.

Back
Top Bottom