Coop Critique - Am I ready for my first winter?

No silkies. but i will keep that in mind because i was thinking about getting one.

I have covered all the insulation. One of the first things i read on here:)

I have a heated bowl that will be near the house and i was going to just bring them fresh water 2 or 3 times a day and switch it once its frozen.

Is keeping the water in the coop a bad idea? I have read lots about them spilling it and making a mess. Thoughts?

I keep both feed and water in the coop, both suspended off the bedding to reduce the amount of debris that gets in. I have electricity which makes a difference.

However, I think it depends on available floor space and how large your dispensers are. Can they be placed far enough from the roosts so that waste does not fall in? In a small space and sitting on the floor the birds will use them as a place to perch and deposit waste.

A DIY dispenser mounted on a wall might be your best option if you really want water inside. However, I found it difficult to seal the nipples so that they did not leak (I was using a plastic pail, heavier PVC pipe may be better?) and I had the water freeze and split the plastic.

Not a ton of room in the coop i suppose.

My thought about inside is that it wouldn't freeze as quickly.

All the chickens just use the left nesting box as i have read is very common. Is it such a bad idea to put the water in the right nesting box and have a little set up so they can't crap in it or kick it over??? Or just best to leave that and still give them the option of a second spot just incase so they don't get stressed out.

And how long normally until the water freezes with out a heater in the coop? 2-3 hours?

Is it such a bad idea to put the water in the right nesting box
In your style coop, it's a very bad idea. I wouldn't put the waterer in any style coop other than a Woods coop and I'd put the water up at the open side to ensure water vapors went out of the coop without a chance to condense on the roosted birds.
And how long normally until the water freezes with out a heater in the coop? 2-3 hours?
It depends on the temperature, wind and depth of the water.
I use this and never worry about the water.
heated waterer.jpg

I set it up on an old chimney block infilled with pea stone to keep it at chicken chest height so wattles aren't dipped into the water. The pea stone under the heated base hold heat too and helps to make sure the water doesn't freeze when it gets really cold. If it's less than -10F ice crystals still form along the edges of the water but it still has drinkable water in the pan.

Thanks.

I am trying to avoid running extension cords all the way across my backyard.

Has anyone ever tried the water fall battery operated style bowls in my type of climate. In theory as long as the batteries don't die it should freeze in any temp no?

It takes about ten hours for the water in three-quart, vacuum-sealed buckets with no heat source to start freezing at -6 to -8 celsium, or so (mid teens F). It has never frozen solid (down to -20C, -5F) in 14 hours or longer although it gets about 3 or 4 cm (an inch or so) thick on top and about half that thick arond the sides. This is starting with barely warm to luke warm water, inside the coop. If I see steam rising from it, I use cooler water. I really don't think that amount of steam would matter in my setup but abundance of caution and all that.

I don't have a typical coop though; 1.2x2.1 meters (4x7 feet) of the front is open all winter, so it is very dry. I think steam would be a problem in many coops. I don't know about yours; you did a good job with ventilation but I don't know how much extra moisture it can handle.

They have not spilled any water in the 14 months I have used this. I set the bucket on a couple of cement blocks so it is about at high as their backs.

With your set up, my preference would be to first try putting the water outside rather than in the second of two nest boxes. Assuming they can get to it just before they roost and as soon as they come off the roost. But I don't know how either would work - let us know what you try and how it goes and how it goes after you've done it for several months.

Will do.

You you elaborate on what a vacuum sealed bucket is?
I found mine in a thrift shop for $5. This time last year, I was seeing them new for $15. By December, when it was cold enough to know I liked them, they were $25 and up. I put up with an extra trip into the house to clean and refill it but would have bought one if I didn't have any. I haven't looked seriously at new ones since I found another one in a thrift shop for $6, a few months ago. USA prices.

Hm, the picture is 1.5 quarts? Will a wine bottle fit into that? I think it is a typo. Mine is 3 quarts.

Attachments

• 4792124A-FA5C-44F4-96A7-2C2E005F6BF0.jpeg
    4792124A-FA5C-44F4-96A7-2C2E005F6BF0.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom