coop from tractor supply

I'm getting 3-4 babies. So hopefully they all live and that's all I'll have. I'm hoping to keep the coop in a run. So in the summer and nice days they can be loose. If I'm outside they'll have access to my whole yard. I'm liking the build of it (the tray, Windows to open, easy access to eggs) and that it is cheaper. I would like it to last a couple years. Once were started we will be willing to do upgrades but since I'm just beginning I wanted some prefab
This could work well for a couple of years until you figure out what you want longer term.

If this coop will be installed inside of a larger run for bad weather, or when you are gone, but then they'll free range in your back yard when possible, then I think it should work!

Having them sleep inside the coop will be nice if you ever have inclement weather blow through during the nighttime hours. If they're outside the coop, they will not be able to see to get into it. Just encourage them to go in at dusk using treats, or lift them onto the inside roosts if it is already dark. Chickens are creatures of habit, so once they get it into their heads that they need to go in the coop when the sun is going down, they will continue to do so.

Well dad has built us a coop that can comfortably hold 4 chickens, almost 5 so we will probably have 5.

It may be more cost effective to purchase one hand made off of craigslist or on a backyard chickens of your state on Facebook. The pre fabricated ones will not hold up as well and may be more cramped than you'd like when it comes to cleaning up after the hens.

If it changes anything, it'll be in the corner of my yard surrounded by solid fence and a metal building. There won't be much wind or anything hitting it.

They have that exact model in a TSC near me, it is very lightweight. It's nice looking but I'm not sure it would make it longer that 2 years out in the elements but it'd sure work in a pinch.

not all prefab coops are bad, some are even pretty cute, I have a Prefab Coop in my back yard, But i'v also Put mine in a big enclosure with extra perches for them to perch outside the coop in the summer, I used to have a hand made coop, but over time it too broke down, so far iv had my store bought or "prefab" coop for a little over a year and its totally fine. Although Iv havent heard the best things from precision pet, that their wood is thin and not super durable. Do you plan to free range? or perhaps upgrade in the future? is there something about this particular coop that you like or is it just a good price for the time being and you need something quick?

Back
Top Bottom