Coop questions... please help :)

What I meant by a heat source is a warm light bulb (ot a heat lamp). I thought in harsh winter areas, there isn't enough body heat from chickens to keep warm, especially in a tall coop.
You'd have to be artic before well ventilated and draft free is not enough. Like not above 0 f during the day.

What I meant by a heat source is a warm light bulb (ot a heat lamp). I thought in harsh winter areas, there isn't enough body heat from chickens to keep warm, especially in a tall coop.

If you have adequate ventilation it's quite impossible to heat the coop anyway.

They're wearing built-in down parkas so they are easily capable of withstanding 0F and often below that.

This article explains cold-weather chicken keeping very well: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

The chickens don't 'heat the coop'.... they heat themselves under their feathers.

Ok so I don’t have drawings to make the improved (I think) plan clear, but the basic idea is...build framing and make roof solid (vs hinged), angled the opposite way it is now.

This would add approx 20” to the peak height, meaning my ventilation could be at 40-50” off the floor on the shortest side, giving plenty of headspace above 24” high roosts (which would be only a few inches above the current”shelf”. If I put 6” of hardware clothed ventilation along the roof line on both long walls, that gives 8sq of open air ventilation. I might even go bigger on the backside, as I anticipate needing to partially block it with awning/hinged panels during bad weather on the front side. Front side is facing south-ish, so I’ll put a window in (not shining on roosts or nesting boxes).

Space under said shelf is approx 15”, so not sure if that’s enough for it to be usable space for full sized (barred rock, Orpington etc) birds?

Clean out doors would still be rebuilt on side that’s open now. But now that the coop roof would be angled the other way, I can have doors on the side that’s blocked from most of the wind. Undecided if nesting boxes would come out from the door (so they would go under the “shelf” and then turn to enter) on the shelf side or the wall on that same end. I’m heavily leaning towards the door, as this would be inside the run, and offer the most weather protection.

Finalizing plans today. Getting anxious I’m LL miss out on the chicks I want if I don’t hurry up 🐣😬🤣

Attachments

• 82DB1319-F736-4DCC-AD85-DBC3D987E3A1.jpeg
    82DB1319-F736-4DCC-AD85-DBC3D987E3A1.jpeg
    935 KB · Views: 9
  • 182B48A0-9BE0-48EE-B6C8-AB87DF1895D1.jpeg
    182B48A0-9BE0-48EE-B6C8-AB87DF1895D1.jpeg
    705.6 KB · Views: 9
Sounds like you've got things well-in-hand.

They would probably think of the under-shelf area as a possible nest rather than lounging space.
I was hoping it would be considered “usable” space for them during winter months when they don’t want to be outside (although I plan to try to weather proof some of the run also).

I’ll have to measure...I was just eyeballing. Maybe I can raise the shelf. I originally planned to remove it, but someone suggested leaving it for a poop catcher tray, which seemed like a good idea.

1/4” hardware cloth is kinda challenging to work with and more expensive than 1/2”. I’ve had success using 1/2” to enclose runs and make aprons to prevent digging critters. My coops are elevated to allow chickens to have extra room to roam and it makes cleaning easy. I use industrial hemp as coop bedding and wood chips in the run. View attachment 3085906

1/4" is also made from a thinner wire so it's isn't as strong.

I'm going to be the odd man out here, but I would go with making the roost lenghtwise. In a small raised coop like that, there isn't enough space for the chickens to fly down from the roost. I have a small raised coop, and my roost is 5 1/2" off the floor. They just step on and off. The nest box is level with the floor, so it's still lower than the roost. That way the ventilation is well above their heads. Great score with that box btw.

Back
Top Bottom