Coop questions... please help :)

I was hoping it would be considered “usable” space for them during winter months when they don’t want to be outside (although I plan to try to weather proof some of the run also).

I’ll have to measure...I was just eyeballing. Maybe I can raise the shelf. I originally planned to remove it, but someone suggested leaving it for a poop catcher tray, which seemed like a good idea.
Yeah, I have bantams, so they would fit under the shelf and use that space, but the big birds probably wouldn't. If the shelf can be raised, you can have poop boards. Some people love poop boards, others prefer a deep layer of bedding and just mixing the poop in. I have a small coop and only three birds, so it isn't a big deal to scoop the poop board every morning when I also go around the yard and pick up after the dogs.

As far as the roosts go, they would have to be very low if running lengthwise in a 3' wide coop, since chickens jumping off a roost need around the same distance to land as the roost is tall (they "fall with style" at around a 45 degree angle). If you have a poop board, they can hop from the roost to the edge of the poop board to the floor.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Edited to add: I revise my thinking on the position of the roosts in my diagram. If you go with that setup with a poop board, make the two roosts the same height in the same space but running the other direction. I think with such a narrow space, the birds wouldn't be able to get past each other to the back roost the way I had it in the diagram.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have bantams, so they would fit under the shelf and use that space, but the big birds probably wouldn't. If the shelf can be raised, you can have poop boards. Some people love poop boards, others prefer a deep layer of bedding and just mixing the poop in. I have a small coop and only three birds, so it isn't a big deal to scoop the poop board every morning when I also go around the yard and pick up after the dogs.

As far as the roosts go, they would have to be very low if running lengthwise in a 3' wide coop, since chickens jumping off a roost need around the same distance to land as the roost is tall (they "fall with style" at around a 45 degree angle). If you have a poop board, they can hop from the roost to the edge of the poop board to the floor.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Edited to add: I revise my thinking on the position of the roosts in my diagram. If you go with that setup with a poop board, make the two roosts the same height in the same space but running the other direction. I think with such a narrow space, the birds wouldn't be able to get past each other to the back roost the way I had it in the diagram.
Plan c....
Thinking about a T shaped roost? Roughly15-16” off the ground. No poop board. 15-17” of space on either side of the long ways part of the T. Or I could add the second board? (2nd pic)

Attachments

• 846FDBA3-73B7-446C-B1B9-368A69579732.jpeg
    846FDBA3-73B7-446C-B1B9-368A69579732.jpeg
    657.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 605C4E28-361D-4650-A547-999A465F4248.jpeg
    605C4E28-361D-4650-A547-999A465F4248.jpeg
    784.7 KB · Views: 9
We’re almost done with the coop renovation...need latches on the doors, a chickie door, and to build the nesting boxes into the door on the right of the pics.
8” of ventilation along the length of the tallest side & 4” on shorter side. I might also add vents to the peaks. Might also add a window.

Decided against the poop board for now because I want to do a variation on deep litter. But pretty sure I’m going to just use the 2” ish wide shelf supports as the roosting bars...maybe add one more (just under 6 ft of roost as is.)

I also need to build an awning/ top-hinged flap for the shorter side ventilation because there is little overhang there, and that’s the side that will get the brunt of wind/weather.

And figure out how to shore up a few larger gaps in doorways/walls that I feel might be too drafty.

And then the run...will be built off the tallest side, with a roof that overlaps and is slanted towards the far end of the run. All access doors will be inside the run.

I have more questions, and will be adding them with a few detailed questions tomorrow.

Attachments

• CB2EC6BD-98CB-4A91-80B0-751FAD11EEC9.jpeg
    CB2EC6BD-98CB-4A91-80B0-751FAD11EEC9.jpeg
    633.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 3675B555-9146-43D2-8E98-0F4DE919C2B8.jpeg
    3675B555-9146-43D2-8E98-0F4DE919C2B8.jpeg
    891 KB · Views: 8
  • DADAF8F4-2A58-48E3-9887-422E4FAC73A1.jpeg
    DADAF8F4-2A58-48E3-9887-422E4FAC73A1.jpeg
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 10
  • C6BBE46E-EE2C-468C-82A0-C5BDE70F9E17.jpeg
    C6BBE46E-EE2C-468C-82A0-C5BDE70F9E17.jpeg
    822.3 KB · Views: 10
We’re almost done with the coop renovation...need latches on the doors, a chickie door, and to build the nesting boxes into the door on the right of the pics.
8” of ventilation along the length of the tallest side & 4” on shorter side. I might also add vents to the peaks. Might also add a window.

Decided against the poop board for now because I want to do a variation on deep litter. But pretty sure I’m going to just use the 2” ish wide shelf supports as the roosting bars...maybe add one more (just under 6 ft of roost as is.)

I also need to build an awning/ top-hinged flap for the shorter side ventilation because there is little overhang there, and that’s the side that will get the brunt of wind/weather.

And figure out how to shore up a few larger gaps in doorways/walls that I feel might be too drafty.

And then the run...will be built off the tallest side, with a roof that overlaps and is slanted towards the far end of the run. All access doors will be inside the run.

I have more questions, and will be adding them with a few detailed questions tomorrow.
The window is a good idea as chickens don’t see well in the dark and the window will definitely help them get situated on the roost at night. One of my coops is windowless (currently) and the chickens struggle when it’s time to roost. I had to “encourage” them quite a few times to enter the coop as they were just in the runway that attaches the coop to the run, seemingly not wanting to go into the darker space.

So, I’m new to chickens (don’t even have them yet). The plan is to start with 6. I am in central NY, so cold temps, snow (and lots of wind).

I apologize in advance...I have done a ton of reading but still have a TON of questions on this, so this will be long 😳😬

I am trying to refurb this solid wood garbage can “house” to use as a coop. (At least for now). I would like to build bigger but this option was 100% free, so trying to make it work for now.

The dimensions are : 50” high at back, 40” high in front (the open side), 36” deep & 86” long.

It’s made from hemlock, and stained. The roof is metal attached to the rafters, no insulation or plywood. Currently lid lifts but I will likely at least latch it down to keep the wind from whipping it up, depending on the input I get.

The plan: build a 8’ x 10’ run 2” x 4” construction with 1/4” hardware cloth on all sides and coming out two feet horizontally around the outside. I plan to cover the run with metal panels, pitched to help with rain/snow, high enough to walk into. The run would be built as a solid piece, placed up against the coop, attached on the back (highest) side, only where we cut out the door/ramp for them. We’ll build the door framing with the hardware cloth from the run integrated so there’s no way for any predator to get in.

The coop (staying up about 2’ off ground on the pallets) would be lined on the floor and at least part way up the walls with some older linoleum I have laying around, and coop itself would help block wind/snow from the run, and the coop roof would be angled away, to not let rain dump into run.

Two large doors would replace the broken doors, one of which would have a window & one (on the left side) would have the nesting boxes built into it (so they are not taking up interior space).

The plan was to take the shelf that’s in there now out, put one long roost running the length but after some reading, I wondered if it would be better to have two across the depth instead? This would give them more landing space and/or ramp access. The concern with that would be not enough space above thier heads for the air flow that would come from the gaps on the roof. Thoughts on this?

Thoughts on roost height? I’m thinking 24”? (But some of the breeds I was considering are said to prefer higher? So should I not get them?

Roof gaps: are these ok? If so, is this adequate ventilation or should I cut some holes in the high points of the peaks? Or across the whole wall on the highest side?

Small gaps in between wall boards...should I caulk these? If I leave them, there will be some wind coming in across the roosting areas obviously. The floor is actually tongue/groove so no gaps there, and no plan to wrap in wire.

Metal roof...should I put a plywood barrier to avoid condensation?

Will nesting boxes be ok getting the brunt of the wind? The window being on this side (or cut out of the right wall) would allow for the most light, based on where I plan to put the coop. It’s easiest to build it into the door we have to build.

I planned on sand for the run, but after some reading, am thinking wood chips would be better?
I was planning on sand in the coop as well, but might rethink that. I want the easiest for cleaning. Maybe seasonally the “best” option would be different (sand in summer, deep litter in fall/winter?

Sorry for the long post..I welcome any and all thoughts/ideas, even if they are completely different than my “plan”.... I’ve never done anything like this before, so appreciate the wisdom from those who have :)

Thanks!
Best with all of this. I am SO proud of you.

Wonder where you are now with all of this? New York . . . how cool!

This is a great idea for expansion!

Yes, I would make sure the window could open for extra ventilation in the summer. And yes, that would be the only natural light into the coop. I have a spare window to use (it might even be too big, in which case I’ll just cut a hole, use hardware cloth and plexiglass for winter.
Since the wall’s gaps are on the sides and back (in terms of where the wind comes from most, I don’t think snow will get in, often anyway.

Yeah, I wish it was not as narrow. I forgot about the 15” from the wall, so thank you!
I had 2 roosts set too close to one another and wound up with 2 limping chickens. They get pushy at night and were jumping back and forth on the roosts and sometimes pushed off hitting the other roost. I since have fixed the issue. Love and learn! Good luck with your flock! 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom