Corn

Cracked corn can be fed as scratch (treat). Not as a normal feed. Also when you feed corn remember it produces heat when they digest it so when it is hot out don't feed it.

Feeding only corn is like you only eating corn, every day, all day. It's not nearly enough of a balanced diet for you and it wouldn't be for chickens either.

Chickens are omnivores, and need around 16-17% protein in their diet to lay good eggs. Corn is not high enough in protein and is not enough calcium either for laying hens.

Feed a good laying pellet and your hens will be much healthier and produce much better. Save the corn and scratch feeds as just a treat - a handful or two a day, max.

Cracked corn is just a treat, like us eating candy
wink.png
But you can feed it sparingly, even in the summer, it does not cause your chickens to overheat.

I used scratch feed to get the free rangers to go up in the afternoons so I could let the chicks out.
No one here can resist scratch grain and I only used it a few times a week. Now I am out and will not buy it again till cool weather but never noticed anyone having any problems in our extreme hot weather from it. I would not feed it overly much but do give it out in the winter regularly as treats.
Everyone eats their appropriate foods well enough I feel using it for treats is okay.

Back
Top Bottom