Purple Corn vs Yellow Corn. What’s the Difference?

The color of a plant indicates the nutritional value. Yellow or orange generally means vitamin C. Yukon Gold has the highest vitamin C content of any potato tested, so buy truly yellow Yukons. Color indicates mineral content. Yellow and white corn simply do not take up the minerals. Hopi blue corn is the most colorful corn because it is wonderful at taking up the minerals. This is what makes blue and purple potatoes blue and purple. You'll find some colored potatoes have very little interior color, this is because they were grown in a spot with less minerals.

Almost everyone around here grows corn as part of the rotation. Corn does not like its feet to be wet, and is a heavy feeder, which is why it grows well in sandy loam. It is chosen based upon how many pounds of kernels the farmer can get from an acre. Modern corn produces well, but the weight is very high in carbohydrates.

Those are gorgeous. I realize you have probably made your own crosses by now, but what did you start with. I think I might give it a go this year.
Thanks! I could potentially share these lines if anyone is interested in growing them.
I started with 4 varieties mainly from baker creek seed company. Hopi Blue , Hopi Pink, Hopi Turqouise and Oaxacan Green. The Hopi corns are mainly flour corn and the Oaxacan is a dent corn. I let them all open pollinate and colllected the seed each season. So right now they’ve gone through 4 years of crossing without adding any new genetics. I have a thread on permies that I used to document some of the grows.
https://permies.com/t/116092/Xenia-Effect-corn

Back
Top Bottom