Corn

@Honey Bee
Yes, it is true. Corn is known as a "hot feed" and when digested it heats up the chicken's system. Giving them a handful before bed can be beneficial. It should be avoided during warm summer months. Another member here on BYC stated that "corn is 14% fat and is burned for energy which helps keep birds warm". Corn is not a healthy food though, so I only recommend giving it every once in a while as a treat.
Do you know what is meant by a, "Hot Feed"
It has nothing to do with "heating up" or even giving off heat.
Do some research on the subject I think you will find that the information you have is incorrect.

Corn will not help them keep warm, in fact to a point it will do just the opposite since it is lower in proteins and fiber.
Corn is not 14% fat, it is around 3% fat.
Corn is very safe to feed in the warm summer months since it is lower in proteins and fiber.
Corn is to a healthy feed ingredient, it has more total digestible nutrition than some of the other common grains used in a poultry ration, is low in fiber and has a good amount of energy.

Last edited:
Do you know what is meant by a, "Hot Feed"
It has nothing to do with "heating up" or even giving off heat.
Do some research on the subject I think you will find that the information you have is incorrect.

Corn will not help them keep warm, in fact to a point it will do just the opposite since it is lower in proteins and fiber.
Corn is not 14% fat, it is around 3% fat.
Corn is very safe to feed in the warm summer months since it is lower in proteins and fiber.
Corn is to a healthy feed ingredient, it has more total digestible nutrition than some of the other common grains used in a poultry ration, is low in fiber and has a good amount of energy.
From my information, corn is by no means a healthy food. All of my information is off of many hours of research. You're free to have your opinion, but I will state that you're the first person I've ever seen to say that corn is a "healthy ingredient". We like to have a friendly and nice atmosphere on BYC, so there was no need to tell me to "do some research". You have your opinion and I have mine.
smile.png

Corn will in fact keep them warm while they are digesting it. Their bodies will turn the corn into glucose, which is a form of sugar and will give energy and heat temporarily to the bird. It is good in the winter time, but in the summer time it can cause over-heating and other issues.
Corn is not a healthy ingredient. Corn provides way too many calories, and chickens will gain weight if eating it more than just a treat. If a chicken eats too much, their bodies will turn the corn into excess glucose which will turn into fat. Corn contains starch, and therefore you have to limit consumption, because you will gain weight whether you're a person, a chicken, or even a horse.
Corn is not a vegetable, like some believe.

Last edited:
I'm not quite entirely sure you understand what corn is. Corn is by no means a healthy food. All of my information is off of many hours of research. You're free to have your opinion, but I will state that you're the first person I've ever seen to say that corn is a "healthy ingredient". We like to have a friendly and nice atmosphere on BYC, so there was no need to tell me to "do some research". You have your opinion and I have mine.
smile.png

Corn will in fact keep them warm while they are digesting it. Their bodies will turn the corn into glucose, which is a form of sugar and will give energy and heat temporarily to the bird. It is good in the winter time, but in the summer time it can cause over-heating and other issues.
Corn is not a healthy ingredient. Corn provides way too many calories, and chickens will gain weight if eating it more than just a treat. If a chicken eats too much, their bodies will turn the corn into excess glucose which will turn into fat. Corn contains starch, and therefore you have to limit consumption, because you will gain weight whether you're a person, a chicken, or even a horse.
Corn is not a vegetable, like some believe.
I know exactly what corn is, how it is used, and what it does.
How much of your hours of research came from sites, literature etc. that dealt with livestock/poultry nutrition and was written by people with a livestock/poultry nutrition background and not from a "chicken site" or a book at the local feed store?

I think you need to find some new resources, and do more research.
I have talked to a lot of people and read a lot of information over the years on poultry nutrition most of the information I received was from people with a background in livestock or poultry nutrition a hand full of them have a PhD in either livestock or poultry nutrition.

Quote: Is your information here based on human or poultry nutrition?
I ask because chickens eat to fill a caloric need, unlike humans and some other animals chicken will stop eating when that caloric need is met at about 2,900 kcal ME/kg. That mean that chickens will not get, "overly fat"/"gain weight" off of corn like some animals do.
(ME/kg = metabolisable energy per kilogram of dry matter).

I will agree with you in that corn is not a vegetable.
It is a grass.

I know exactly what corn is, how it is used, and what it does.
How much of your hours of research came from sites, literature etc. that dealt with livestock/poultry nutrition and was written by people with a livestock/poultry nutrition background and not from a "chicken site" or a book at the local feed store?

I think you need to find some new resources, and do more research.
I have talked to a lot of people and read a lot of information over the years on poultry nutrition most of the information I received was from people with a background in livestock or poultry nutrition a hand full of them have a PhD in either livestock or poultry nutrition.

Is your information here based on human or poultry nutrition?
I ask because chickens eat to fill a caloric need, unlike humans and some other animals chicken will stop eating when that caloric need is met at about 2,900 kcal ME/kg. That mean that chickens will not get, "overly fat"/"gain weight" off of corn like some animals do.
(ME/kg = metabolisable energy per kilogram of dry matter).

I will agree with you in that corn is not a vegetable.
It is a grass.
All of my information has come from websites, books, and here on BYC. I've never read anything from a local feed store. My information has come from my own research and experience. Clearly we have different resources.

My information is based on poultry nutrition. And chickens can indeed overindulge on food, and get fat. Chickens have an instinct to eat whenever food is available, and sometimes that results in over indulging. Have you ever seen a chicken around mealworms? They wont stop eating lol.

We obviously have different opinions about corn but I'm not going to argue anymore. Have a good one.

All of my information has come from websites, books, and here on BYC. I've never read anything from a local feed store. My information has come from my own research and experience. Clearly we have different resources.

My information is based on poultry nutrition. And chickens can indeed overindulge on food, and get fat. Chickens have an instinct to eat whenever food is available, and sometimes that results in over indulging. Have you ever seen a chicken around mealworms? They wont stop eating lol.

We obviously have different opinions about corn but I'm not going to argue anymore. Have a good one.
Perhaps you can provide links to the information (similar to the scientific information cited by Chris)on which you have based your conclusions so that those wishing to understand your perspective on the matter can do so?

Last edited:

What websites, what books?

Post some links, prove to the people that read this that your information is correct and that mine is incorrect.

On the Mealworms, they don't stop eating them because they are low in calories and it take more of them to fill the caloric need of the bird. Feeding a high protein low cal. food will make a chicken far more fatter than corn will.

Hi, I only give my girls a handful of corn each and a bit scattered on the floor at night and I have been told by a lot of my fellow chicken keepers and 3 recommended Poultry farmers that it does help to keep them warm at night over the winter months. I have been told and read from BYC and from various books on the subject (all English sources, from my local library), not to feed to much and just keep it as a treat which I do. I have learnt that it is certainly a good training aid when you want them to come back to you if you shake the box loudly! Over here in England all the Poultry owners I have spoken to or sought advice from have told me that corn is good to give them before they go up to roost because it helps keep them warm so it is pretty common knowledge over here it seems. I have never been told or read anywhere that it should not be given in the summer, I am sure in moderation is ok. Not all my hens like it actually, 3 of them love it and one of them is not so keen on it and seems to be content with a good old forage in my garden. I think as long as you are sensible with it , it is fine and like all things "good in moderation" . None of my hens are fat...but then I don't give them human scraps from the kitchen apart from apple and a bit of left over bread and a few oats. I wonder about the goodness of human scraps for animals in general anyway, in fact I would think that human scraps are more likely to make chickens overweight and upset them than any of the other Poultry feeds recommended. (bar left over fruit and veg of course) I did read one book that says that it is quite rare for a hen to take too much of what they need, ie of their layers pellets or from foraging but corn seems to be something that is stressed to be just a treat at the end of the day. It seems that they like it so much that they possibly would not eat their layers pellets if it was given too much and before the end of the day when they have done most of their feeding. Bit like dogs then in a way....if they are given too many treats they get all fussy and wont eat their regular dog food...well mine does anyway!
My conclusion is that corn is absolutely fine as a treat and at the right time of day only and in moderation.

Back
Top Bottom