Cornish Thread

Your better off starting with the best representatives of the breed. You could work Years on hatchery birds and still not come close to the SOP

Why would I pay hard earned money for down-and-dirty, absolutely-gonna-win SOP birds from a show breeder who has spent perhaps decades working out every stinking detail of the STANDARD, only to use it in a meat bird program when some one like Linda breeds beautiful birds that could pass for SOP birds in the mind of many bird lovers, when my only intent is to use them in a concerted effort to work them into my own meat bird program? In fact, If we didn't enjoy messing with the breeding, we could just buy the birds from Linda and be plenty happy enough to caponize them and have the quintessential table bird???

Both valid points. It's a matter of choice and time.
I do not own any SOP birds. I would also like to point out that Linda's birds are the result of using a bird that for all intents and purposes IS a SOP bird. the comb was what disqualified it.

My argument is that it is pointless to try and breed hatchery stock UP to meet SOP standards.I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm simply stating the time and money would be better spent elsewhere. If you like the cornish breed,(and i do) then it stands to reason you will want birds that exemplify the characteristics that define this breed. I bought hatchery birds. After learning more about the breed and seeing SOP birds,I sent mine to camp.
I do have some that are hybrids in a meat program.
And I have every intention of purchasing SOP birds at a later date. Not to show. Just to satisfy my desire for the best I can afford.

Im with you JRNash, I like how the SOP birds look and find it pleasurable to look at them. That being said they are not going tl be part of my meat bird program if bred pure but I dont mind crossing them over a cornish cross to get offsprings. I just keep 2 different lines, one of eye candy cornish and one thats a table food!

My argument is that it is pointless to try and breed hatchery stock UP to meet SOP standards.I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm simply stating the time and money would be better spent elsewhere. If you like the cornish breed,(and i do) then it stands to reason you will want birds that exemplify the characteristics that define this breed. I bought hatchery birds. After learning more about the breed and seeing SOP birds,I sent mine to camp.
And I have every intention of purchasing SOP birds at a later date. Not to show. Just to satisfy my desire for the best I can afford.

All well and good if one plans to show or...if one is of a mind to buy a Maserati Levante and leave it parked in the garage, well hell...that's okay too!!!
lau.gif
thumbsup.gif

I want to compare the hatchery type to sq. If the sq grow as well I see no need to keep the hatchery birds, but they were a gift so I'll raise a few. I know already that my Whites are growing much better than the Dark sq. I will raise all the Whites that I can and play around with the Dark.

I want to compare the hatchery type to sq. If the sq grow as well I see no need to keep the hatchery birds, but they were a gift so I'll raise a few. I know already that my Whites are growing much better than the Dark sq. I will raise all the Whites that I can and play around with the Dark.
That comparison is essential for some. Others have practically unlimited space and the only limitations are money and time. In my Brother's situation, time is his primary limitation.

Back
Top Bottom