Coronation Sussex 600 pair what is up?

Quote:
I think ill wait till they are around 3 or 4 dollars a chick. im kind of interested in crossing them with a nice light brahma strain i have. if they have the huge size they claim to have and the lavender columbian pattern it would be neat to see if i can breed a larger brahma with lavender replacing the black. ah, all in fun. i love brahmas. i gotta tell you we have all sorts of fowl you name it and of everything my chickens cost the most to feed, even out of egg production. so i consider the price of chickens a need to have a significantly lower price than pheasants , peafowl, turkey, ect. to balance out feed cost to raise and maintain. lets face it though ive you aint getting eggs you might as well raise peafowl or something more exotic if you want eye perdies. so let let the price drop:D

The light Brahmas I used to have were way bigger than the Light Sussex and had better temperaments, too...

the breeders ive talked to have said their coronation sussex were the biggest chickens theyve seen, even bigger than the brahmas. does anyone know exactly what a full grown coronation sussex weighs? my young brahma rooster is 13lbs. ive had a jersey giant rooster pushing 16lbs. one breeder told me his coronation rooster weight near 17lbs. wasnt sure if that was true or not. always the prob with raising huge chickens is crooked toes usually, and that has to be continually bred out and ive seen never really goes away because some still pop out even after rigorous efforts to eliminate. ive never had this issue with brahmas. i hear it occasionally occurs in sussex. so again what is the true max weight for a coronation sussex? does anyone knowfor certain?

Quote:
To rangy, fast-growing, lanky and ??? LOL I think if enough people starting showing their Coronations, it won't take long before they get accepted into the APA. I've been showing my Lights for two years now and this spring I'll be bringing a Coronation pullet or two to the show just for fun.

Wow... The Austrlian sussex are... Way to heavy, slow growing.

One of my good friends (she was breeding light's in the 60's (i think) and just got back into breeding them) told me and i agree 100%
really quite different from British or Canadian (APA) Sussex

bodies and soft feathering of Orpingtons. and also
At the FVPFA show there was one exhibited, and the judge said it was quite incorrect

So Judges well see pass the colour remember being over wight is just as bad as being under weight at a show
big_smile.png

Also do not know where you live but there are at lest two lines of good APA light's in the US, and at lest one up here​

Quote:
The light Brahmas I used to have were way bigger than the Light Sussex and had better temperaments, too...

the breeders ive talked to have said their coronation sussex were the biggest chickens theyve seen, even bigger than the brahmas. does anyone know exactly what a full grown coronation sussex weighs? my young brahma rooster is 13lbs. ive had a jersey giant rooster pushing 16lbs. one breeder told me his coronation rooster weight near 17lbs. wasnt sure if that was true or not. always the prob with raising huge chickens is crooked toes usually, and that has to be continually bred out and ive seen never really goes away because some still pop out even after rigorous efforts to eliminate. ive never had this issue with brahmas. i hear it occasionally occurs in sussex. so again what is the true max weight for a coronation sussex? does anyone knowfor certain?

My Coronation & Lights are about 12lbs or so. My light brahmas were about 13-14lbs

My light Brahma rooster, Cornelius (I no longer have LBs but they were neat chickens):

Picture059.jpg

Picture075.jpg

My Light Sussex rooster (doesn't have a name yet):

DSCN4330.jpg

DSCN4105.jpg

DSCN4104.jpg

That's a Pepsi crate and a pretty big metal feeder:

DSCN4336.jpg

The LB was more solid and weighed a lot more than the LS does...the LS is A LOT more fluff.

wow, I never realised there was such a big deal about them, I went to a poultry auction, liked what I saw and bought some, the Wyandotte's were more $$ at this particular auction. I am loving keeping them. I had light sussex years ago and loved their docile natures but that was with my ex husband and I wanted something different, when I saw the different colour it was perfect. I had trouble finding the breed standard for anything but I am looking forward to breeding some of these babies. I have been told they are fairly susceptible to disease so will be keeping them as healthy as I can.

Back
Top Bottom