Coronation Sussex 600 pair what is up?

Yes, these do grow fast. I did a test processing on 3 roos and the Light Sussex came out the winner even over the Orp for size and ease of getting into the body cavity to remove the insides.

People will pay what people will pay and if they want a bird bad enough they pay a good price. No one forces them to buy them.

It does bother me when people want you to sell your stock for a song. Eventually the price goes down for those who are willing to wait but just like any quality stock if you want it and the supply and demand is up then be prepared to pay or do without.

I'm just saying you can't expect to buy these for $500-$900 a bird and sell their offspring for the same $$$. By the time you get chicks and grow them up, the price will have gone wayyyyy down. It is not a sound financial investment like diamonds or gold. They are just chickens.
tongue.gif

Quote:
No argument there fattie that is just absurd to me to pay that much. But again, those who want them.... I think alot of it has to do with the "rare" birds and everyone wanting to jump on the bandwagon and get some. It's business. Sell them quick and high to recoupe your cost and get extra before the price comes down. I figure every "rare" breed has about 2 years tops to do that.

So be patient, those who want them and the price comes down eventually. There is no way I would even think to ask that much for mine. I would be embarrassed. They are chickens.

But some people don't take into consideration all that goes into getting the "rare" chickens here in the first place and there is overhead. Many think the price should be the same as a red sex link or EE. They just don't get the fact that they aren't quite as common. Yet.

Quote:
I strongly disagree. When folks got into the ratite business (ostrich, ema etc) it was a great investment! Then there was the Pet Rock food... and hey the Edsel car.... never mind!

Soon enough the price will go down. With 150+ eggs per hen per year, eventually a hatchery will get them and the price will be forced down. Folks just will not continue to pay that high a price. Already the eBay and BYC auctions have dropped in value.

Anyone wish to buy some fresh, organic and all natural Pet Rock food? Just $100 per ounce! Last about a month. It will go stale, so uneaten food must be disposed of after 30 days. just send a SASE to me for a free sample.

Quote:
I totally agree..people bought them at high prices, sold them at high prices for a while and now the bottom has fallen out on the market.

Now, you can get them for $19.99 on eBay (as a dozen hatching eggs) or like I did--$15 each + $40 for combined shipping.
smile.png

The worst part is that within 3-4 generations (or probably 2 years at this point), you'll see a decline in type because a lot of these people are just cranking these out as fast as they can with no regard for type at all. I've already seen a few postings on eBay that show photos of birds I wouldn't use for breeding unless they were the last of their kind on earth and even then, I'd feel a little guilty.
roll.png

Quote:
I totally agree..people bought them at high prices, sold them at high prices for a while and now the bottom has fallen out on the market.

Now, you can get them for $19.99 on eBay (as a dozen hatching eggs) or like I did--$15 each + $40 for combined shipping.
smile.png

The worst part is that within 3-4 generations (or probably 2 years at this point), you'll see a decline in type because a lot of these people are just cranking these out as fast as they can with no regard for type at all. I've already seen a few postings on eBay that show photos of birds I wouldn't use for breeding unless they were the last of their kind on earth and even then, I'd feel a little guilty.
roll.png

I think ill wait till they are around 3 or 4 dollars a chick. im kind of interested in crossing them with a nice light brahma strain i have. if they have the huge size they claim to have and the lavender columbian pattern it would be neat to see if i can breed a larger brahma with lavender replacing the black. ah, all in fun. i love brahmas. i gotta tell you we have all sorts of fowl you name it and of everything my chickens cost the most to feed, even out of egg production. so i consider the price of chickens a need to have a significantly lower price than pheasants , peafowl, turkey, ect. to balance out feed cost to raise and maintain. lets face it though ive you aint getting eggs you might as well raise peafowl or something more exotic if you want eye perdies. so let let the price drop:D

I would like to say, if there are any hopes of getting them accepted into the APA we need to change the shape abit and get away from Austrlian shape and more "American shape"

Quote:

smile.png

roll.png

I think ill wait till they are around 3 or 4 dollars a chick. im kind of interested in crossing them with a nice light brahma strain i have. if they have the huge size they claim to have and the lavender columbian pattern it would be neat to see if i can breed a larger brahma with lavender replacing the black. ah, all in fun. i love brahmas. i gotta tell you we have all sorts of fowl you name it and of everything my chickens cost the most to feed, even out of egg production. so i consider the price of chickens a need to have a significantly lower price than pheasants , peafowl, turkey, ect. to balance out feed cost to raise and maintain. lets face it though ive you aint getting eggs you might as well raise peafowl or something more exotic if you want eye perdies. so let let the price drop:D

The light Brahmas I used to have were way bigger than the Light Sussex and had better temperaments, too...

Quote:
To rangy, fast-growing, lanky and ??? LOL I think if enough people starting showing their Coronations, it won't take long before they get accepted into the APA. I've been showing my Lights for two years now and this spring I'll be bringing a Coronation pullet or two to the show just for fun.

Back
Top Bottom