Coronation Sussex 600 pair what is up?

In my opinion the light sussex are more handsome than the Coronation Sussex, (I know that is blasphemy but it is how I feel) and I like the Speckled Sussex best of all. My light sussex are nice size, like a sussex ought to be. The Speckled sussex I have and others I have seen in the states are too small and need to be bred for larger birds.

ive been raising poultry for several years now and have basic to the rare. the coronation sussex is a chicken! lavender columbian pattern. with a large frame< single comb! beautiful bird but i dont care how rare it is for the price it better lay golden eggs. breeders only have these just so they can say hey" i have these". dont waste your money in a big hurry, the price will drop when people realize its only a chicken. spend that money on a more beautiful peafowl variety. people just speculate the price of these sussex and it drives the price up. trust me from many years of experience, you wont make the money back you spend on these birds. the only people who make money are the people who have them and sell them and tell you how rare they are. they are also not as rare as breeders say and theyre not the original breed just a breed bred to the original standard. NOT WORTH THE MONEY! ITS A CHICKEN! A CROWING OR CLUCKING, POOPING, EGG LAYING BIRD! it is pretty though.

Quote:
I have to fully agree, when I saw this, that was the exact thought that popped in my head. YOU ARE BUYING THEIR NAME, not the chicken. Once you get them, you'll be hard pressed to get $50 a pair out of them cause no one knows you and they are no longer "Greenfire" or who ever it may be that has them's line, they are your line now, an unknown breeder, or hobbiest.
Also before you put a second mortgage on your house over a chicken, you all do realise how easy it is to "lavender"up a color right. I made coronation d'anvers in 2 years.
Just breed the columbian patterned dime a dozen ones to a lavender bird ,back breed the resulting off spring and you should have some, now depending on what's available in lavender, you may have to outcross a little, but that's an easy fix, just 1-2 more years of breeding work. If you are willing to spend a grand on a chicken, I feel you should be willing to do some breeding work of your own as well. Make them yourself and keep your money. They arent all that rare, every auction you go on has them by the boat loads any more, due to this, and it's just crazy to me. Yes they look nice, but my Lord, they're just a sussex, everyone has them, get some light ones and lavenders and make some of your own
wink.png

I have some Coronation and Light Sussex along with two pretty Speckled girls. Ya know, they are all great. I do have to share that in the beginning I didn't care for the Coronation but now that she is a full grown hen-her body type is gorgeous. Big and full, even more so than the majority of the Light Sussex.

She does make me smile when I look at her. I really enjoy the whole mix of color from all three breeds but I am eclectic and love color, variety and beauty.

I am hatching out chicks right now and have two in the brooder and two hatched today with one pipped and ready to come out. I am trying to see the % of Coronations that are coming from the breeding.

Some of them do have the feathered shanks that people have been noticing, but some don't. Either way it doesn't bother me but I will continue to breed for the non-feathered and cull (sell) the others to locals who want a good bird.

That said, they sure as heck aren't worth what some people are asking LOL!

I tell you what, the extra cockerels make a FANTASTIC table bird! Yum! They mature quickly and really grow out fast, big and tasty! I have seen/read a lot of crooked toes in people's hatchings, so it is something to be aware of and cull out from as you are able.

table roasting bird, i love it!
lol.png
i will buy some when the price comes down. i had an experience with a lady near nebraska who claimed she was one of the three breeders in the US. She told me what they were because i only read about them in a book. i was inquiring about some marans she had from bev davis stock. i told her what id be willing to pay because i only wanted to cross them into a very productive line of road island reds to darken the egg color a bit for a prettier egg, even though an egg is in egg and the shell is just going to go into the compost, my egg customers enjoy the dark eggs. she told me eight dollars a chick and i finally talked her down once she knew i wasnt in it for the bookoe breeder bucks. then she said marans are the old thing now, she has coronation sussex:rolleyes: and i said oh yeah what do those cost and she said she just shipped a rooster for $900 bucks but gets $1500 a pair. this was when our economy was in jeopardy she informed me. so i asked, how can you afford to sell a chicken at that price in these economic conditions and she said " we're not hurting here"
hmm.png
and i just said ok, good luck selling your chickens and no i didnt end up buying marans from such a high and mighty breeder.

Soon as enough people pay the big bucks for them, thinking they just made a super-genius investment for the future, the market will be flooded and the price will go way down. They will have a hard time getting rid of all their extra birds even at $10 a piece. It's only a matter of time before everybody has them and nobody else wants them.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Absolutely. They are the fastest growing breed I've owned, and they are quite large too. The extra boys are ready between 12 (fryer size) and 16 (roaster) weeks. I sold last year's culls to a local family who processed them for their own dinner, but this year I plan on booking a processor way ahead of time to do it for our own freezer.

I enjoy having them. They're huge, pretty, docile and constantly underfoot looking for treats.

Whoever said they're charging $900 for a roo and $1500 a pair is probably exaggerating just a little. A trio directly from Greenfire costs less than that.

Quote:
Absolutely. They are the fastest growing breed I've owned, and they are quite large too. The extra boys are ready between 12 (fryer size) and 16 (roaster) weeks. I sold last year's culls to a local family who processed them for their own dinner, but this year I plan on booking a processor way ahead of time to do it for our own freezer.

I enjoy having them. They're huge, pretty, docile and constantly underfoot looking for treats.

Whoever said they're charging $900 for a roo and $1500 a pair is probably exaggerating just a little. A trio directly from Greenfire costs less than that.

Greenfire has lowered their prices and you can get Coros for $39.00 a bird and Lights for $19.00. You can start with these and breed your own line and you'll know they won't be inbreed as we see crooked toes and smaller size birds. http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/sussex/

Here's
some info I asked yesterday about the Coro line and here's Greenfire Farms response.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom