Coronation Sussex 600 pair what is up?

I hatched out several Coronation Split. Black and white..and boy, do they grow fast..and big! Very large bird. Had a woman here in Utah trying to sell a young roo...the same woman I bought the eggs from..tried selling her straight Coronation boy..for $200.00. Couldn't sell it. Beautiful bird! Tried $150.00..still hasn't sold it. People here don't go for the pretty so much, as for the eggs I guess. I wish I could have a straight Coronation, they are beautiful and sturdy birds.

Guess what? The Coronation cockerels grow out to be a fine table bird. They have quite a bit of meat on them, and in three and a half months they will barely fit in a crock pot. MMMmmmmm!!!! Not every rooster has to find a home. Most were made to be eaten, no matter how rare the breed is, or how much someone else paid for theirs.

I'll be danged if I'm gonna pay $200 for a night's dinner! I can get a good table bird for $3-$5. To eat a bird that goes for that much is like eating a cash salad.
roll.png
ep.gif
smack.gif

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

True though, the Coronation would make a mighty big dinner for a large family..or some leftovers for a while. They are large, and yep, that's what they were used for, first the eggs..then the hens and roos were good for "something" when the laying slowed down, or the roo slowed down. Good birds. I personally don't eat my chickens, but I know I would if I had to.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree..they are going down just for the splits..but the straights are still high, but I see them coming down too...good! I can't believe the price some people are willing to pay for some birds..but I guess if they are wanting to start a business, that makes sense. Glad that the pure are being kept up.

Quote:
Exactly. Some roos should go to a pot. I sold a couple of very nice roos for $40-50, and the culls went as meat birds for $5-10. Next year I will plan ahead though and have a processor booked way in advance for the extras (they booked up fast and early this summer!), and have them done at 12-16 weeks.

Yeah, they were expensive birds. But I got them for me to enjoy and not for business purposes. I think they are an excellent dual purpose breed that I'm happy to have.

As for the Coronation prices I think there were too many breeders saturating the market all at once coupled with the downturn in the economy. Then there was the demise of eggbid which makes it even harder to sell extra birds online.

Quote:
Exactly. Some roos should go to a pot. I sold a couple of very nice roos for $40-50, and the culls went as meat birds for $5-10. Next year I will plan ahead though and have a processor booked way in advance for the extras (they booked up fast and early this summer!), and have them done at 12-16 weeks.

Yeah, they were expensive birds. But I got them for me to enjoy and not for business purposes. I think they are an excellent dual purpose breed that I'm happy to have.

As for the Coronation prices I think there were too many breeders saturating the market all at once coupled with the downturn in the economy. Then there was the demise of eggbid which makes it even harder to sell extra birds online.

I agree with the saturating the market with them..I think the same thing happened to the Marans and the Favereolles...but I'm still happy to see them out there..oh, and the Russian Orloff.
You want a good table bird....BO..and Brahmas... heavy birds.

Quote:
It took me two years to find any decent Faverolles. There are few breeders left unfortunately. They still need work but at least I have a very good starting point now.

The market for Marans was just nuts.

Back
Top Bottom