Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

@AuQuail sorry I can't help you very much, the only time my female quails growl and or attack the males is when they are broody or sitting on eggs and the males pester them too much. Does she have eggs? I do hope your male hasn't lost his eye and that he will recover.

As for the humidity levels and air sacs: only thing you can do is wait and see. I incubate dry, though my ambient humidity is normally 45-50. The last couple of days I up the humidity to 60-70. If you are in the 30s and you've candled and all are alive, then I don't think there's anything to do but wait. I don't think you should try to drop the humidity any further.

I hope someone more experienced jumps in, good luck!

Thanks for your input. Running dry is the best we can do. Wait n see....

Not Broody or anything.... She still. Laying an egg a day. Hmmm

Hello Everyone

My wife and I are new to the quail business, our first hatch was Feb 22 this year,
We spent crazy money for a few eggs from a guy who lived next to my daughter, and had been breeding for size for 15 years. Let me tell you they were huge.
We did the 4 week weigh in on the 22nd of this month and largest hen weighed in at 254 grams, 9.07 ounces, the largest roo was 250 grams, 8.9 ounces.
From what I have read on the internet they should be around 200 grams at 4 weeks,
I enclosed a corner of my basement insulated it and sealed it up 100% I have a 4 inch inline exhaust fan going out the window with a dryer vent on the outside of my house. that cycles 5 min on
30 mins off.
I have my home heating and cooling system piped into the room so there will always be a constant 70 degrees 365 days a year. With 6am to 10pm lighting. Now you know a little of my small set up here is the major question I'm wondering on.

We went to an exotic auction last sunday and we bought some golden birds 4 hens and 2 roo's, they started laying eggs on monday evening and they are between 12 to 14 grams nice looking eggs, The hens weigh 200 to 218 grams and the question I have is when my jumbo browns mature in a few weeks will the size diff. be a big problem? The way the browns are growing who knows how much they will be weighing by 8 weeks.can a 7 to 8 ounce golden Roo mate with a 14 to 16 ounce brown hen??????

you can see one of our earlier weigh in on you tube under SC cityquail

I have read about the curse of breeding goldens and wonder how much of that is true?????
Im setting 22 of the golden eggs they have laid on monday night in hopes some will hatch.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help out a middle aged couple with their new experiment in the quail business.

Thought to share.
Here are the latest pics of my 2nd attempt on hatching my own eggs. 72 eggs.

Then thing was I wanted to identify the babies of the 2 roos I had.

Hence I marked. My. Eggs and put a divider in the incubator. I marked in With my little girls hair latex band, but after one day... Found it tightening up on their little. Legs. So needed a new plan.. So decided to put divider in brooder.

Had to up the ceramic heater from 75w to 100w since they can't all huddle in a big circle. Below it.

With the fence on an angle we could still hand the waters on both side.

So far really happy.

The 3 week single. Quail is in rehabilitation,. After a cat attack. Just wing tips bleeding.

9875df777ddf79437cf5589e4959e26b.jpg
ed285209fa77b4968f66e8dc3daec8de.jpg
596dec13317f0a1b766b2ba0620262dd.jpg
043815a0fbb26884a7d36eb3ef51f800.jpg
826b449bbc4272fb604b3d4e37712360.jpg

Hello Everyone

My wife and I are new to the quail business, our first hatch was Feb 22 this year,
We spent crazy money for a few eggs from a guy who lived next to my daughter, and had been breeding for size for 15 years. Let me tell you they were huge.
We did the 4 week weigh in on the 22nd of this month and largest hen weighed in at 254 grams, 9.07 ounces, the largest roo was 250 grams, 8.9 ounces.
From what I have read on the internet they should be around 200 grams at 4 weeks,
I enclosed a corner of my basement insulated it and sealed it up 100% I have a 4 inch inline exhaust fan going out the window with a dryer vent on the outside of my house. that cycles 5 min on
30 mins off.
I have my home heating and cooling system piped into the room so there will always be a constant 70 degrees 365 days a year. With 6am to 10pm lighting. Now you know a little of my small set up here is the major question I'm wondering on.

We went to an exotic auction last sunday and we bought some golden birds 4 hens and 2 roo's, they started laying eggs on monday evening and they are between 12 to 14 grams nice looking eggs, The hens weigh 200 to 218 grams and the question I have is when my jumbo browns mature in a few weeks will the size diff. be a big problem? The way the browns are growing who knows how much they will be weighing by 8 weeks.can a 7 to 8 ounce golden Roo mate with a 14 to 16 ounce brown hen??????

I have read about the curse of breeding goldens and wonder how much of that is true?????
Im setting 22 of the golden eggs they have laid on monday night in hopes some will hatch.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help out a middle aged couple with their new experiment in the quail business.

I'm not really able to answer your questions, but didn't want to see your post unanswered. I do think that it will be quite tricky for your little goldens to mate your larger browns: the males in general are smaller and sometimes have a hard job holding the female in place long enough to mount. I only have the regular sized japonese, tibetan and rosetta, so can't speak to your other questions.

Good luck!

Hello Everyone

30 mins off.

I think they should do just fine together.
smile.png

Hello Everyone

30 mins off.

I posted your question on NEWBY QUAIL LOVERS
and Marvin Yardley answered your question. He is very knowledgeable and has a good answer for you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1241522309302465/
Martin Yardley Should be fine. The jumbo males might just bully the italian males a bit if there is to many males in the pen though.
Nothing wrong with breeding italians, nothing lethal in that gene. Thats just misinformation.

Glenda Heywood hope this helps. Also click on URL and read more on Quail there.

first off,
congrats on such big birds!
second off, and this is a rookie mistake,
there is a about 80 percent chance your new quail are infected with something, worms, parasites, who knows what.
Poultry auctions are a place for breeders to pawn off sick birds for cheap prices, It is adviseable you keep them seperate!

I'll just add from our experience, coturnix are very aggressive eaters. If you feed them in a trough, they inevitably scatter ALOT of the feed on the ground! Also, their droppings are much wetter than bobwhite, so cleaning them out once a week is ESSENTIAL!

Back
Top Bottom