Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

first off,
congrats on such big birds!
second off, and this is a rookie mistake,
there is a about 80 percent chance your new quail are infected with something, worms, parasites, who knows what.
Poultry auctions are a place for breeders to pawn off sick birds for cheap prices, It is adviseable you keep them seperate!

I was wondering how one tells if the birds are sick?
do they show signs of sickness?
And what would be the kinds of sickness quail get?
Any and all answers needed thanks

Sick babies dont eat and will just want to sleep in the warmest point in the brooder.

Older quail fluff their feathers and pretty much just want to sleep in a standing position. They also are not interested in eating.

Hi just a quick question I have three 4 week old quail in a indoor brooder they have not been under heat for 3 days now with a night temp of around 58f I was going to transfer them to the garden pen tomorrow but the night temps for the next few days are around 45f is it to cold to move them? my adults out there are fine and are even spending the night outside of the housing tucked up in the grass

Hi
1f600.png
. I have a friend whose offered me some fertile jap quail eggs, and I was wondering if it's possible to hatch them under a chook, without any other poultry of course! My chooks have hatched ducks, geese, swan, turkey, and pheasant before, so I doubt they'd attack any chicks,thanks
1f60e.png

Do Quail calm down at night in the dark like chickens do,it would be so much easier to handle them, have 100 eggs coming next week from James Marie to incubate and have not been able to find an answer. Thank you

Hi
1f600.png
. I have a friend whose offered me some fertile jap quail eggs, and I was wondering if it's possible to hatch them under a chook, without any other poultry of course! My chooks have hatched ducks, geese, swan, turkey, and pheasant before, so I doubt they'd attack any chicks,thanks
1f60e.png
I had my Silkie hatch and raise quail before. You usually need a bantam to do it, but it's definitely possible.

When i was growing up on the farm we got some big goose eggs from our neighbor and set them underneath a banty hen three of them all three of them hatched out. It was so funny when those little geese got bigger whenever they get scared they would duck underneath her wings and literally lift her up off the ground

So I just went out to turn on a heat light for my 4 quail & I noticed that one of my female quail had blood all over, I'm guessing that the little guy in there got a bit rough, their all young, so I know he's still learning & probably doesn't have things down quite right yet? Anyway, I have moved her to a little pen by herself & safe. I cleaned what I could of the blood but there's still some on her. She did good for a bit while I was cleaning her but then started getting really upset, so decided to wait on cleaning her anymore. I put food & water in with her & have given her a bit of heat. Is there anything else I need to do & how long should I keep her to herself? I saw one of the other hens peck at her hard, where the blood was, that's why I thought it best to put her alone.

Where is she bleeding from? You might put some vitamins or electrolytes in her water just to give her a little boost. Or give her some yogurt or mashed boiled egg. In my experience (I've only had quail for 18 months), they are hardy little things, but if they get infections from wounds they do terribly. If she has a bad wound I would give her antibiotics. I know some people really don't like that, but I've used them very effectively in bad wound situations and haven't lost a bird yet. I've used Baytril 5% given 0.5ml each day for 7 days, by mouth with a syringe with the nedle removed. Held the bird's beak horizontally (that is not tipped back), open and give the liquid. It must taste terrible, but it works.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along with better advice. Hope she pulls through!

Back
Top Bottom