Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Wow there was a comparison on his eggs and JMF eggs done over several weeks on another thread and his fared a bit better. I think that was last year, maybe his stock has gone bad.

I bought 50 Jombo coturnix hatching eggs from a seller on eBay (the guy from west Covina CA) 24 out 50 hatched, 10 died  so now i have 12  and they are 9 weeks old and still not laying, such a waste of money I wouldn't buy from him again.

You got a 50% hatch rate from shipped eggs!? Be Happy that is a great hatch! As to loosing the others...well there is a learning curve if you are new to quail and even if not I always still loose a few each hatch that just fail to thrive. So with shipped eggs you can expect to loose some just because they were shipped and maybe just didn't develop quite properly.
that makes me feel better I was considering ordering

You should get them! I love my quail! They lay better than my chickens LOL. Just be aware that shipped eggs are a gamble at best...let them rest 24 hr's before putting them in the bator and some peeps have had better success with not turning for a few days once in the bator. I would recommend a search on BYC for info on hatching shipped eggs...I've been averaging about an 85% hatch rate from my eggs in a cheap Styrofoam incubator. Temp fluctuations account for most of my losses I believe with a better 'bator I could get closer to %100

Im curious, will I get any color from my group? I have 5 jumbo brown coturnix (I believe) and 1 texas a and m coturnix

I would think you could expect some tuxedo.. I don't know enough about genetics to know what else could pop up besides the white and brown of course...;)

I would think you could expect some tuxedo.. I don't know enough about genetics to know what else could pop up besides the white and brown of course...;)

thats what I was thinking. All babies last time came out jumbo brown I color. I dont know what they look like now though. I may need to keep them till they are fully grown to find out.

thats what I was thinking. All babies last time came out jumbo brown I color. I dont know what they look like now though. I may need to keep them till they are fully grown to find out.

Tuxedos should be noticeable at hatch there bellies/neck will be yellow down...sometimes its kinda splotchy more pied I suppose is the correct term...I'll see if I can find a pic of some mine as chicks;)

There is one on the bottom right by the waterer. One kind of in the middle and one to the right above the splay legged fellow...don't worry I taped him up and he's perfectly fine now ;)
Ignore the bantams LOL

Back
Top Bottom