Could there be some Hookbill Genes in my Indian Runners, or do i start seeing things?

WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Friends,

so i had mail-ordered 10 Fawn & White Indian Runner ducklings for the second week of September, the are now approaching two months of age and look more and more like grown-up ducks (i wish they'd behave like grown-ups...!) and i noticed that some of them have a rather unusual form of bill, pleas have a look at the duck in the video below that walks clockwise around the group:
Am i starting to see things or is her bill pointing slightly downwards, as is the trademark of the Dutch Hookbill breed? - Here is a picture of a Dutch Hookbill female:
1604250115273.png

I have read that the Hookbill breed may be a descendent of the Indian Runner and also Metzer Farms once had Indian Hookbills, but gave up on them due to their bad hatch rate. - My Ducks were delivered from Metzer Farms…
What do you think?

I have both Hookbills and Runners, and they are only somewhat similar. The runners are of course much taller, and they move quite differently than the Hookbills, starting from hatch:
The Dutch Hookbill turned out to be a snowy male, the gray runners were three males, two females.
For a comparison, here is a set of Hookbills in the same brooder setup:

As you may have already read, some Hookbills have a more extreme hook than others. I have noticed that some ducklings have pronounced hooked bills right from the start.

I can't say that I have seen any amount of hook in my runners at any age. My runner stock was originally from Holderread and are show stock, so there may be more variation in the non-show runners. I am embarrassed to admit, I don't have good photos of my runners, except when they are enjoying the mud.
BTW, that's a pair of snowy Hookbills in the cage, no doubt wishing they were out there, too!

I have both Hookbills and Runners, and they are only somewhat similar. The runners are of course much taller, and they move quite differently than the Hookbills, starting from hatch:
The Dutch Hookbill turned out to be a snowy male, the gray runners were three males, two females.
For a comparison, here is a set of Hookbills in the same brooder setup:

As you may have already read, some Hookbills have a more extreme hook than others. I have noticed that some ducklings have pronounced hooked bills right from the start.

I can't say that I have seen any amount of hook in my runners at any age. My runner stock was originally from Holderread and are show stock, so there may be more variation in the non-show runners. I am embarrassed to admit, I don't have good photos of my runners, except when they are enjoying the mud.
BTW, that's a pair of snowy Hookbills in the cage, no doubt wishing they were out there, too!
You have beautiful ducks! - One day i will have Hookbills too…

I have no idea how Metzer Farms are keeping their ducks!
If they are in enclosed warehouses, you're correct: There should not have been an entrance for a Hookbill drake. But if it is just an enclosure with indoor and outdoor space…
Still no answer from Metzer-Farm.

Back
Top Bottom