Could there be some Hookbill Genes in my Indian Runners, or do i start seeing things?

WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Friends,

so i had mail-ordered 10 Fawn & White Indian Runner ducklings for the second week of September, the are now approaching two months of age and look more and more like grown-up ducks (i wish they'd behave like grown-ups...!) and i noticed that some of them have a rather unusual form of bill, pleas have a look at the duck in the video below that walks clockwise around the group:
Am i starting to see things or is her bill pointing slightly downwards, as is the trademark of the Dutch Hookbill breed? - Here is a picture of a Dutch Hookbill female:
1604250115273.png

I have read that the Hookbill breed may be a descendent of the Indian Runner and also Metzer Farms once had Indian Hookbills, but gave up on them due to their bad hatch rate. - My Ducks were delivered from Metzer Farms…
What do you think?

Can you send pic? Of your ducks
I tried many many times, but those younglings are at an age where everybody and everything is trying to eat them - in their minds! - I can't get close enough to take a good picture, obtaining the video was a lucky twist because they were too occupied with the rain.
But i will try…

That's what i thought: Hookbill Ducks are excellent flyers, so the drakes may have just "visited" the pen with the Indian Runners…
I have contacted Metzer Farms and am waiting for an answer, i just wanted to hear other opinions this girl. Not sure if i see just ghosts…

I have no idea how Metzer Farms are keeping their ducks!
If they are in enclosed warehouses, you're correct: There should not have been an entrance for a Hookbill drake. But if it is just an enclosure with indoor and outdoor space…
Still no answer from Metzer-Farm.

Back
Top Bottom