Could there be some Hookbill Genes in my Indian Runners, or do i start seeing things?

They are just four months old and some of them still have their bills pointing slightly downwards. And they are the flightiest Runner ducks i have seen so far:
Two foot fence? - Duck you! I just flap over that.
Running downhill? - Why should i when flying downhill is so much faster!

From where did you got your Hookbills?
Holdereads. They sold all of them last year. If you are interested in getting some there is a FB group for them. One of the moderators bought hers from Holderreads. She was just selling eggs but I think she sells adults now too. She even has a tufted that Holderread hatched.

Holdereads. They sold all of them last year. If you are interested in getting some there is a FB group for them. One of the moderators bought hers from Holderreads. She was just selling eggs but I think she sells adults now too. She even has a tufted that Holderread hatched.
I am interested in Hookbill ducks! - But not now: I have a mixed flock of 40 ducks, just for egg production and i don't want to add rare breed ducks to a mixed flock. I need to set aside a separate area just for the Hookbills with their own house, pond and run area so that there is no cross breading between them and my barnyard mixes.
Where do i find the FB group? - I'm not very active on FakeBook, but a little lurking around cannot be wrong, can it?

I am interested in Hookbill ducks! - But not now: I have a mixed flock of 40 ducks, just for egg production and i don't want to add rare breed ducks to a mixed flock. I need to set aside a separate area just for the Hookbills with their own house, pond and run area so that there is no cross breading between them and my barnyard mixes.
Where do i find the FB group? - I'm not very active on FakeBook, but a little lurking around cannot be wrong, can it?
Search for Dutch Hookbill. I don’t use FB much either but it’s a good place to join discussions about birds, or just lurk.

I have both Hookbills and Runners, and they are only somewhat similar. The runners are of course much taller, and they move quite differently than the Hookbills, starting from hatch:
The Dutch Hookbill turned out to be a snowy male, the gray runners were three males, two females.
For a comparison, here is a set of Hookbills in the same brooder setup:

As you may have already read, some Hookbills have a more extreme hook than others. I have noticed that some ducklings have pronounced hooked bills right from the start.

I can't say that I have seen any amount of hook in my runners at any age. My runner stock was originally from Holderread and are show stock, so there may be more variation in the non-show runners. I am embarrassed to admit, I don't have good photos of my runners, except when they are enjoying the mud.
BTW, that's a pair of snowy Hookbills in the cage, no doubt wishing they were out there, too!

I have both Hookbills and Runners, and they are only somewhat similar. The runners are of course much taller, and they move quite differently than the Hookbills, starting from hatch:
The Dutch Hookbill turned out to be a snowy male, the gray runners were three males, two females.
For a comparison, here is a set of Hookbills in the same brooder setup:

As you may have already read, some Hookbills have a more extreme hook than others. I have noticed that some ducklings have pronounced hooked bills right from the start.

I can't say that I have seen any amount of hook in my runners at any age. My runner stock was originally from Holderread and are show stock, so there may be more variation in the non-show runners. I am embarrassed to admit, I don't have good photos of my runners, except when they are enjoying the mud.
BTW, that's a pair of snowy Hookbills in the cage, no doubt wishing they were out there, too!
You have beautiful ducks! - One day i will have Hookbills too…

Back
Top Bottom