Coyote and air rifle question

JackieK318

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Missouri
So, I come home around 11 from the store and I see Black Hen and Rhody run up all "bawk bawk" and upright. The guineas are in the clearing sounding the alarm. I walk down with bags in hand to see a coyote. I start yelling and running after it while looking 'big'.

It ran off, but I am wanting to get an air gun. This way I may be able to scare the beast away without having to smush the bread next time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't think an air rifle will have much effect on him. A 22 will help tho.
roll.png

Jackie: Hey! Sorry about the Coyote issue. Whew! That is really scarry! I agree w/ Katy about using a 22 or maybe even a BB gun. Be careful, b/c I bet they will be back. I hear them occassionally in the woods behind our house at night, but haven't seen one in the yard during the day yet. So glad that they all all safe.

PS. I sent you a PM

Ang: Where in Illinois do you live?

Smitty's Farm :

Jackie: Hey! Sorry about the Coyote issue. Whew! That is really scarry! I agree w/ Katy about using a 22 or maybe even a BB gun. Be careful, b/c I bet they will be back. I hear them occassionally in the woods behind our house at night, but haven't seen one in the yard during the day yet. So glad that they all all safe.

PS. I sent you a PM

Ang: Where in Illinois do you live?

I live in Hancock county about 35 miles north of Quincy.​

you are wasteing your time with an air rifle - BB gun. If it knows your birds are there he will be back. The rule for that on my farm is S - S - S Good Luck

Hubby has a 22, but I doubt my neighbors would appreciate it. Besides, I would just die if I killed it. I hear the pack behind my house, either that or big cats. We have four wooded acres and one of my huskies has taken off looking for the coyotes recently. She's so bad about them that I can't even let her off the leash (New Year's Eve morning I had to chase her down the valley behind the house and hike back up dragging/carrying a 55 pound dog - we wound up 1/4 a mile down the road from the house and I had an asthma attack I was running so fast. To make it worse, I was wearing my violet pj pants with fairies and penny loafers. Thank goodness it was 6:30 am on a holiday! At least I found their den though.)

We also have a BB gun, but hubby wasn't sure which would be better.

The funny thing - I never ever had any desire to shoot a gun (terrified of them) until I saw that coyote. He could have eaten my last 5 chickens! Geesh!

Last edited:
The 22 will be the best deterrent. I didn't want to kill the fox that were around our property this summer and then they ate all but 3 of my chickens.

I have neighbors nearby though. Six of them are really close. Wouldn't a gunshot be, well, obnoxiously noisy in a suburban setting. I suppose someone has come in my yard with a gun before...I just don't want to be a nut like him!
lol.png

A 22 is pretty much like a firecracker going off. With windows closed most of your neighbors probably won't even hear it. Just be aware of what's beyond the coyote that you're shooting at....especially if you're using longs.....don't want to hit a neighbor's house....or the neighbor!!

Back
Top Bottom