Coyote and air rifle question

I was walking the dogs for the last time last night around 10:30 and there were 5 coyotes sitting in the neighbor's back yard. She's just to the west of me about 40 feet from the house. I was in the yard with Coal about 50 feet, maybe, from the group. They started yipping and howling. We wrapped up the potty break pretty quickly.

I might see if my brother in-law will come up. He's a wonderful marksman! I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon.

In the 2 miles or so around my house, we have hogs, mini-moos, tons of horses, ducks, chickens and goats. I'm sure if I talk with the neighbors they will be glad to help in any way possible.

Even in towns where it is illegal to discharge a weapon there are exceptions (exept in the peoples republic of California or NYC) in cases where you are threatened. A pack of 5 Coyotes IS a threat. If they are brave enough to get within 40/50 yards of humans they are brave enough to attack a small person/child. I know of 2 incidents where packs of Coyotes have gone after people. One had to surrender the bag of McDonalds hamburgers he was carrying and the other was EXTREMELY fortunate he took his gun with him to investigate the commotion in his yard. He shot one in mid leap coming at him.
Sounds like your coyotes are getting braver by the minute. Tell the neighbors. The may help take care of the problem.

OK, DH is standing here telling me about a few air rifles. They are carreied or were carried by Cabelas. One is a AR15 copy it uses compressed air, .177 caliber, you can use predator pellets, look like a mushroom and they enter the animal and blow up inside causing internal injury. An other one is a .9 millitre pump up or compressed air. There is only one make that size and he doesn't remember the name, just ask about that size. Thats what he would recommend you look at if interested in using them on coyotes.

Thanks! And it's really scary as my two year-old, although never left alone, loves being outside. I'd hate to be confronted with her outside!

One concern not particularly address in this thread is that if do not want to kill the coyote, then you need to consider that a BB gun or firearm could injury the coyote and cause it a lot of suffering possibly death.

I have used several types of airguns to scare off coyotes from kids BB guns to airsoft guns (nice range, got a coyote right between the eyes) to a paintball gun. Currently, I like the paintball gun. It makes a fairly loud noise and paint balls wack the ground or trees with pretty good force. And there’s little chance that you are going to injury the predator. The range is fairly limited, but since they are repeaters (shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger) you can quickly zero in on the predator.

Another idea, for something easy to carry in your pocket, find a coach’s starter pistol. Mine carries 6 rounds (available from walmart, etc.), it’s easy to carry around when I’m working outside and it is loud enough to scare away a coyote or stray dog. This way you can instruct the coyote that loud, bad things happen when they get too close to your territory.

Good luck.

I have heard that coyotes will gang up on dogs and kill them, even big ones. But normally they run. They can't afford to get mauled by a dog.

A strong, high fence around your chickens should protect them from coyotes and dogs. But not raccoons. They will climb any fence.

A 22 rifle is the best dog and coyote medicine. But keep this in mind: a bullet from a 22 rifle can go a mile. If you miss what you are shooting at, you are still going to hit something. It may be the ground or a tree, but it could also be a neighbor's animals, house, kids, etc. If you get a rifle, become competent with it and learn to handle it safely. It's not a toy or a fashion accessory. It's a deadly serious tool. If you ever have to use it in a panic, life and death, situation you are going to be running on instincts. You aren't going to be thinking clearly and calmly. That's why basic safety and marksmanship training, and lots of practice are so important.

If you have to shoot a dog, coyote or other predator that's threatening your critters or kids, wait for a clear broadside shot with nothing in the background that you wouldn't want to hit (the neighbor's house, for example). Then shoot right behind the shoulder, into the ribs. A lung shot like that is lethal and the animal dies rather quickly. If you don't hit the animal there, or in the brain, it's not going to die quickly, and will suffer.

Quote:
Coyotes will actually act puppy like and playful to suck a dog in...then the pack decends. Like you said gang up. Seen this about to start on a friends dog and we were able to interrupt it by running over the coyotes with our horses.

Also I have heard will use a female in heat - have not seen that one. So is it true?

As for climbing fences I was told by a wildlife services (USDA) that a ranch in TX has 9 ft fences around a game hunting ranch and they put coyote traps on the fences and they have caught coyotes climbing the fence to get over other got caught in the traps. That just shocked me but I have seen many a golden retreiver climb a chain link fence so I guess it is possible.

There is a reason the coyote was known as the trickester.

Also on shooting better be sure you ID the animal and it is not an endangered species. Their are people that have been told by game and fish they shot a coyote only to later find out out is was a wolf....now big fines and charges (maybe even jail).

Here in NM and Az the wolves look like coyotes and commonly have not only bred with dogs (documented by FWS) but also with coyotes (all you have to do is look at them to know). In the north wolves have also bred with coyotes (published scientific studies and newspaper) and now FWS wants to protect these hybrids with your tax dollars. So since the law is if it is endangered you better know the rules you are working under so you do not go to jail. Often times it has to be your life threatened or a childs before you can act or you cannot do anything legally in many states to protect your livestock, poultry or pets on private property or on public lands.

Here poultry are a free kill for wolves even on your private land. Dogs are a free kill even on the leash. All other pets are a free kill. Other livestock may or may not be a free kill. You can only protect your livestock when the wolf is in the act of biting or grasping the animal. I asked a FWS official if he could make that shot...he said no. Wolves can kill as many animals as they want in a 24 hour peroid and that is considered 1 strike if you get the strike.

so here if it looks like a wolf/coyote we do not shoot. We pray, lock our pets up and horses and hope these hybrids (what ever us tax payers paid for and the zoos bred and cage raised for release)...leave our yard and go some where else. I have never felt so threatened and helpless in my life.

As this program is expanded all the states in the area will be effected and soon you will also worry when it comes to shooting a coyote/hybrid/wolf something...will you go to jail?

otherwise gila_dog good info as I am just learning about guns. Good safety tips. I do find it hard to be staring at a predator and stay calm though....really gets the blood pumping. During my lion encounters and two bears I still had that ...Oh My thats a .... and it can jump this far or run this fast oh and it will eat me. so a little voice runs through my brain and says stay calm while the rest of me is freaking out.

I am not sure I could hit anything but I want to be sure not to hit anything else not intended.

Thanks BTW gila dog I do live in the Gila
wink.png
...not in the wilderness but a nice populated community. My neighbours have chickens, pea fowl, and ducks along with other livestock...all are locked up. I keep my horses locked up at night and when there is an animal to worry about during the day. I am hoping the chicken fortress I am building will be good enough.

Just seams like to me so many people are all into predators wolves, jaguars, grizzles...what about the prey species like deer and elk? What about beautiful chickens? I am glad this group knows what a predator is all about.

Barb
wink.png

BTW in Phoenix coyotes were getting bold and picking dogs off leashes while the owners were walking them. In NJ coyotes this spring/summer attacked children 2 or 3 times in Middletown which is very urban surbia. Coyotes are dispersing an populating places they never were. Yet NM Game and Fish officials tell me wolves are safe.
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
We have these coyote/dog crosses where we graze our cows, as well as mt lions. It's frustrating because they are very smart. Once you see what a pack of coyotes does to a small calf, it makes you want to shoot every canine around. Not that I would- only ones that cause trouble. I'm waiting for the wolves to start coming in. They are not far from us now. The original recovery program for the wolves in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming was supposed to be 300 individuals and 20 packs. We have more than that in Idaho alone now. The sad part is that Idaho Fish and Game to told the feds that we already had wolves here and they didn't need to be "reintroduced", but FWS insisted and over ruled the state. ANYWAY, I'm not trying to stir the pot here so I'll just leave it at that.

By the way, I agree that a 22 going off is just like a firecracker and probably won't bother your neighbors. Sorry, I don't know much about air rifles.

Back
Top Bottom