Coyote and air rifle question

Quote:
I understand what happened in ID. The wolves you had orginally were probably not as bad as these now canadian wovles.

What is happening here in NM/AZ is worse only because these animals were cage raised and released out of their orginal range. They are also allowed to constantly be in communities and aroudn homes killing pets and livestock. They are also not pure wolf so I think that adds to some of the behavior isseus. Belieive it or not you also have much more open rules in ID that you work with on these "endangered" predators.

I think if most people were to see how coyotes and wolves kill they would not think these animals were so "cool and mystical". I have seen some spree killed elk and calves just left to rot. They also did not die an easy death. horrible.

Barb
wink.png

Quote:
That's all we need in Idaho- more illegal aliens (CANADIAN wolves). The IDAHO wolves minded their own business. And stayed out of our livestock (mostly)

That a shame about your situation.

Well I would tell you what I would do, but my nme might give it away anyways LOL. I live in IL and m hobby (other than chickens) is trapping. I trapped 15 coyotes this year.

First of all, I would definitely NOT reccommend the airgun. If it wasn't posted here that someone's huband kills them with an airgun, I would of said I didnt think it was possible. If it is, I would bet that those killing shots are hit either in the eye, or through the ear. Anything else, wouldn't kill. You say you didnt want to kill them, but using the airgun, as was mentioned, will either not harm them at all, OR cause a slow lingering death, not very kind. Use the 22 at very short range. 40yards tops. Shoot for the head or the lungs.

If your worried about the gun and neighbors, you could call your local DNR office, and ask for the name of a local trapper. For a reasonable fee (probably free if coyote season is still on) a trapper will set traps for your coyotes, and when they dispatch them, it wont be a running animal so they can ensure that the bullet will go into the ground if it exits the coyote.

All those cartoon PETA puts out about huge traps with teeth are bunk. The traps we use nowadays cause very little to no foot damage and often animals are found sleeping in the traps when you get there LOL. Not very different from tying a dog on a chain. In fact, my own dog spent several hours in a trap and is no worse for the wear.

All last summer I was trying to get a hen to set. I even got a broody hen from a neighbor (took her right off the nest) and she still wouldnt set at my coop!! Then I bought a golden laced cochin hen from a swap meet, and lo and behold, she started setting. She was over half way through her incubation period, when she was killed by a coon. The coon picked her, because all the other chickens ran, and she wouldnt leave the nest. Broke my heart. Two days later that coon was waiting for me in a trap. He had aten his last chicken dinner.

Dont feel bad for the coyotes. They are bloodthirsty killers, nothing more. My hubby has lost several dogs to the local coyotes before we met. Coyote attacks on children and adults both are becoming more and more common. For the sake of your small child, if not your chickens, your coyotes need to go.

Ang

There's something I read about the Native Americans and Coyotes.

I guess the Indians felt that the Coyote is evil because it is the only wild animal that would kill just for sport and not eat what it killed.

Don't know how true it is, that's just what I read.

Matt

Coyotes and other canines (dogs and wolves) don't just kill for sport. It's true they will kill a flock of chickens and leave them, but that's because they can come back later and eat them. Even when they are stinking rotten. They just do what a million years of evolution (or God's plan, if you prefer) tell them to do. That includes killing chickens.

My instinct, on the other hand, is to protect what's mine. I do that with a .22 rifle or a shotgun.

Yes, I believe that's what they intend to do. When they have the opportunity they will kill lots of prey. They don't mind how rotten it gets before they finally eat all of it. I don't think they have evil intent, just a very strong digestive system. A pack of wolves, coyotes, or even dogs has a home range that they will defend against others of their species. They think that a carcass laying around anywhere in their range is theirs to eat whenever they feel like it. Of course the ravens, vultures, magpies, etc. don't care who "owns" it.

Back
Top Bottom