Coyote and air rifle question

Jackie,
If you decide to take the gun route, better check your zoning first. Most towns/cities have laws against discharging a firearm within town limits and some counties do too; depending on how close the other houses (occupied dwellings) are to you.
We have a tremendous amount of coyotes on our farm, but never have a problem with them coming anywhere close to the house; I guess because of our dogs.
I can empathize with you having to chase your husky down. It's for that reason that I don't let Charlie girl run loose on the property. She can and will kill a coyote, but I don't want to take the chance that she will get hurt in the bargain.
Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

I know you don't want to kill it, but my DH has used his air rifle to kill them before. It doesn't send out the concussion wave a .22 would so they can't hear it and roll the bullet. A farmer wanted him to kill a few in his yard so DH hid and shot one with the air rifle when it showed. He is very well trained with guns so he was able to kill it in one shot. As it was laying there, another coyote came out to check on the one that got shot, he got that one too. Info for anyone wanting to kill them. Also when you uses the .22, he does what he calls a "double tap". NOt quite sure what he does, but they will roll the first shot but not the second, they aren't fast enough. He got one here last week doing it that way.

Well from what I can tell is that you saw a scout checking out just how easy it will be to get to your chickens and they will be back...I have had them come close befoer only to return...if they are hungry they will come back...Yep out here if something threatens your livestock you can kill it ...I know I have had to do it to some possums...I have horses and wont take the chance of them getting sick from possum poo...Its hard the first time but does get easier after ...not something I like to do either, but it had to be done. Better to shoot them than to lose your chickens...ask your neighbors and tell them what you saw and also they do spread rabies so I bet your neighbors wouldnt mind at all as long as you dont hit their house...LOL...practice with some cans ...BBguns dont work and sometimes unless hit in the right spot the air rifle wont either...it just stings and they will be back. You always want to get the scout.It tells the others where to hunt.
Good luck

You're right. Three more were out around 5ish. I don't know how many others could have been in the woods. I'll go up against one coyote, but I'm not that brave (stupid) to chase off more than one. Luckily, I put the birds in the coop at 4:30.

Poor Sussie, who had been chased and stepped on by previously mentioned husky, wouldn't come down from the rafters at all after the first coyote. Flashbacks, I suppose.

Yeah you are going to have to something about them. I had one in my yard in the middle of the day the other day trying to carry off a duck. We got him in time and the duck was ok. Let the neighbours know what you want to do and they will probably be helpful.

I have used an air rifle (all I had at the time) to haze away a mountian lion. Neighbour was getting his riffle at the time.

It came down the moutain during mid day and was watching my horses at 100 ft. Amost did not see it. Blended in even though I have mowed and completly cleared all brush and growth around my place. Horses were alerting me but not trying to act like diner. I also was not stupid and thought oh how nice he is just relaxing on that rock sunning. I know he was checking out diner.

So I grabbed the air gun and shot at the lion. It looked at me for a few secs (too long) then sauntered off. This lion was reciently at a neigbours house and growled at them while they were out getting wood. We called a local outfitter with a hunter in town and got the lion removed perminatly jsut a few hours later. This was a really big cat too. This lion was probably bigger than me or it felt that way.

So long and short of it is yes, an air gun..it will work once or twice. But once the coyote figures out that there is nothing behind that gun they will be back and grow bolder. Maybe this coyote has already learned about air guns...then it would not work at all. I am thinking paint balls with pepper spray in them are a great idea. I wonder if that would be a good deteriant.

If that lion had made a differnet choice defence of my life was a minute away. I only acted because I felt I had no time to wait to protect my horses. I now have a loaned 22 in my tack room. I hope I get to keep it for another few months until I can aford to by my own.

good luck...coyotes are known to be the trickster.

Barb
wink.png

If it were me in your shoes, I would first ask the neighbors and ok using a .22 on the coyote. The paint ball gun might work for you, but wouldn't waste my time with an air gun. He'll be back! I don't want to see you loose any chickens if at all possible. Good luck with your situation. I know in South Dakota it is also Coyote season.

I've used a bolt action .22 rifle. It's quieter because it doesn't eject the shell and keeps the breach all locked up. I put a ".22 short" (half the length of the .22 long rifle) in it too. I'm not shooting a mile, I just need about 10 feet.

I've shot out a 4 inch opening in our sliding glass door, into the backyard once. I stood back about five feet and shot through the crack. Bullet escapes, noise doesn't.

I hear if you tape the nozzle of an empty 2 liter bottle over the end of the rifle and shoot through a hole (small as possible) in the fat end, it works like a silencer.

I also heard that if you cut an 'X' in the end of a rubber baby bottle nipple and pull it loosely and tape it over the end of the barrel, it helps to quiet the shot.

I had a buddy that shot through the muffler off of his dirt bike. It was straight and about a foot long and had a 1.5 inch hole all the way through with wadding and holes all the way up the inside, etc. He said you couldn't hear a thing when it shot.

Personally, I have now made my coop Ft. Knox and the animals can just sit and lick their chops and I don't have to shoot them.

Quote:
Please find out WHAT kind of Air Riffle your Husband uses! There are not many good enough. And I would love to know.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom